Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So You Think I Can Start Regular Foods Today??

So I haven't heard back from my doctors office after I left them some messages. Im going to a party tonight nd Im bringing my veggie pizza yumm I've been on mushys for a week now. Banded feb 27th you guys think I'm ready to try some reg food? ? I know I should wait to hear back from docs but I wana hear personal experiences. Thnx guys!

My center requires two weeks of full liquids followed by two weeks of mushy/pureed foods.

my doctors office gave me a booklet with how am was to progress with my foods..once week in each phase..liquids, pureed..soft..then regular foods. i would hold off on the regular foods for now. dont want to do any damage this early on. i'm sure maybe you can find some foods there that go with the consistency you are allowed to have at this stage. best wishes

I don't know, I tend to be pretty liberal with foods, but it's a little early for pizza. For one thing it's

bread and many of us have problems with bread. I guess if you just eat the topping and leave

most of the crust and really chew well, you might be OK. To me, the biggest problem is getting

stuck, so go slow and see how you make out and have a good time.

My doctor's office doesn't allow us to go from Mushies to regular food. it's mushies-> soft foods for another week, and veggie pizza would not pass because of the crust. It is ground meats, chicken salads, medium scrambled eggs. Veggies are still mashed at this stage too.

Try to speak to your doctor's office since it hasn't been too long since your surgery. If you still have swelling or are still healing etc inside, getting stuck on a big bite of pizza would probably not be a good thing.

My surgeon allowed me to go from clears to full liquids on day three, then regular foods as tolerated at one week. that was 4 years ago, though. And that was after talking to him at the three day mark, and seeing him at one week post-op.

Have you not been given any feedback at all from his office? I think I'd go for the toppings of the pizza if they are somewhat mushy. Take small bites and chew like crazy. But that is me!!

I was startving so I advanced my diet really early. I was feeling really good and talked to my dr. He said the only concern is throwing up and taking the chance of hurting your bad. So, he said as long as I chew, chew, chew and take it slow and nothing is getting stuck that I would be fine. I ate enchilads at 8 days post op and did fine. He told me to go with full foods this Thursday which would be 16 days post op but not white bread or raw veggies. So I definitely would stay away from those. Eat what you want just chew the heck out of it and if things aren't going down well, stop! You will be fine. YOu will be overly cautious and will be fine!!

Every surgeon seems to have their own schedule. Mine was 2 weeks Clear Liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks mushy then onto soft food.

Considering it's only been 2 weeks since your surgery I think veggie pizza is too soon. Just my opinion, mind you, but I tend to be overly cautious anyway.

Did you meet an nutrionist pre-surgery? What was the schedule for food you were given?

I would never advance my diet in front of other people...this band requires concentration at first to focus on chewing and slowing down...at a party you are at high risk for getting distracted and getting stuck and possibly having to yak in front of other people...

just my opinion...plus you will have a lifetime of parties where you will have to have new behaviors different from the pre-band obesity days....this thing is for life!

I was feeling absolutely terrible 5-8 days after my post op (sticking to the strict liquid diet, slowly advancing to mushie foods) I was having severe hunger pains (which I had never had before) and felt very weak and frustrated. Around day 8/9, I decided to start eating more solid protein/food. I instantly felt a TON better, like a whole new person. I certainly will never regret that decision. I've been eating whole food ever since and can tell I'm ready for a fill in a few weeks. My only suggestion would be to watch what you eat because if you aren't careful you can get some pretty intense trapped gas pains, which are no fun at all.