Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I have been reaserching and yo-yo dieting for about two years now; and I have finally decided to get the surgery. My date is set for April 10, 2012 but I am so nervous about the sugery part, besides being obese I have no other medical problems. I have never had surgery ever, never even been hospitalized. I was just wondering if there was any advice of what to expect as far as the healing and pain. My doc said he wants me to stay overnight just because I am an out of town patient. Please tell me how your hospital visit was and the pain after.

First of all, congratulations on starting your weight loss surgery journey!

Everyone's pain tolerance is different, and since I don't know if men experience surgical pain and recovery differently from women, I hope a guy answers this post too. If not, I can put you in touch with a very successful male bandster, Tom (at http://beariatric.com).

I've had several types of surgery and found my band surgery to be a piece of cake by comparison, but I can't say it was fun, either. I think the worst pain was from the gas they pumped into me during surgery. Unlike intestinal gas, it tends to irritate the diaphragm and send pain signals to the left shoulder, and it's a pain that's resistant to pain killers or products like Gas-X, but it doesn't last long - takes maybe a week to resolve. Some people find that using a heating pad helps, and moving around a lot helped me. My port incision (near my waist) was the most uncomfortable one because it's so hard to turn over in bed or get in and out of a chair without using the abdominal muscles whose fascia the port is stitiched into. But unless I was doing one of those moves, none of my incisions hurt much thanks to the painkiller I was given.

I stayed in the hospital overnight because my surgeon felt that if anything's going to go wrong, it'll be in the first 24 hours. I was OK with that and got plenty of ice chips and pain meds from the nurses on duty. The staff will make you get up and take short walks starting a few hours after surgery, to help prevent blood clots. I had a room to myself (it just happened that way). I've had annoying hospital roommates in the past but when it's just an overnight stay, you can't agonize over that.

When I was banded, I was doing a sedentary job working at home, so I could rest whenever I wanted. I was bored and restless after about 3 days. How long you'll have to take off work will depend on what kind of work you do. Most people are OK taking a week off work.

If you're an out-of-town patient, you'll have to plan for your trip home. If it's by car, I suggest that you bring a bed pillow with you to the hospital, because you'll find it makes your return trip more comfortable - you can hold it against your middle to sort of protect your tender incision areas. I was told to stop the car and walk a little bit about every half hour (to prevent blood clots). If you're flying home, you won't be able to get out of your seat and walk every time you want, but if you talk to a flight attendant when you board the plane, you should be able to make some kind of arrangements.

I had never had any surgery and was scared but other than being obese was healthy. I drove home (5 hours) on the third day and by the 7th day I felt no pain but still tired...some people feel like they were hit by a bus so I guess i was lucky...

I had surgery once before, on my jaw. It was scary sounding... they had to break the bones on my upper palate and install a spacer to expand my mouth. I was on the operating room table staring at the equipment and I was freaking out. The anesthesiologist came in and said "Here's a little something to relax you" and I watched him insert a needle in the IV bag. I shut my eyes, then opened them and found myself in the recovery room. Except I had no idea what happened. I tried to ask when the surgery would start but my mouth was full of guaze. Turned out they'd already done it!

After that, surgery doesn't scare me as much. It's alarming to lay on the table like a steak while people in scrubs work around you and discuss the operation before you go under, but once they give you the meds you have no idea what's happening. You won't even know how much time passes. It's just instant. It's the strangest feeling. Then you come to and wonder when it's going to start - all the while completely unaware that it's already done.

As for the recovery, I've heard it's generally not too bad. With my mouth, I was bleeding and in pretty bad pain for about 5 days (I'd also had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted at the same time - so much fun!). I've heard there's some discomfort with the worst part being the port insert. As I sit at my desk, it actually sounds kind of nice to lay around and watch TV in recovery!

At any rate, I'm sure you'll do fine. This is the safest form of bariatric surgery. Think of it this way, if you don't have this surgery now you'll be in store for other surgeries in the future due to diseases caused by obesity! I know I'm at a higher risk for heart disease and cancer. I'd rather get a lap band now than have a triple bypass in 10 years...

Keep on posting on the forums and let us know how it goes! I won't have my surgery until August or September but I'm taking care of my pre-surgery steps right now.

I luckily live in the same city as the hospital that I had my surgery at so mine was completely outpatient. Got to the hospital at 7am and got home about 4:30 that evening. I had never had a surgery before this and the hospital staff were all suprised by that. I kept telling them "I'm healthy as a horse but as big as a house." Really, I'm not that big....I'm 5'0 and went into surgery at 244. Surgery went fine for me, alot of discomfort afterwards but not anything unbearable. Lortab works wonders for pain :)

With my husband there to help me it hasn't been so bad, since he's there to help me get out of bed. If I would have been alone, it would have been another story. He has to grab one arm and pull me up since my stomach muscles still hurt. Everyone tolerates pain differently so you might be able to go through with no problems. Hope everything works out for you!!

Bamagirl where will u be getting your fills?

Bamagirl where will u be getting your fills?

If I'm lucky Manda, at Flowers Hospital in Dothan, Alabama :)

Bama girl I am currently in Cali where I got my surgery but will be moving to NE bama in a few months. A bit concerned about after care/fills. Hoping for a good place and also that ins will pick up the cost

Not much to add. Just want to wish you good luck and success.

Where at in Bama? Unfortunately I'm not anywhere close to where you will be moving to. I'm in the SE corner of Alabama, right on the Florida and Georgia state lines. I don't know anything about where you will be able to go, but if you will be moving close to Huntsville I'm sure you will be able to find a good place to go get a fill. Your doctor now might be able to help you with finding the right doc in Bama and might be able to send copies of your records just so they will have them when you get here.

It will be In a little town called Fort Payne which is about 1/2 an hour south of Chattanoona TN. I just hope I don't have to start paying when it is free here