Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help! One week in and keep liquids down

:help: On Tuesday February 14th, I had my lap band surgery. Everything went well. The next day (Wednesday) I noticed I wasn't keeping any fluids down. Well on again on Thursday I still wasn't keeping anything down. They put me in the hospital and put me on steroids and IV fluids and of course morphine. They did an upper GI and found nothing. The only thing they think it could have been was swelling. Oh, and I'm allergic to Loretab painkillers. While I was in the hospital for 2 days, I was holding some fluids down. They let me go home on Saturday and that day I was fine. Then on Sunday it started back up. I have tried an assortment of liquids to drink and nothing stays. So on my one weeks drs check up they gave me valium thinking maybe it is my nerves. I have taken about 4 of them in the past 29 hours and still am having this problem. Today I tried my first Protein Drink. At first it wasn't staying down and then 3/4ths in it started staying down.

I also wake up at 4:30 every morning (don't know why), but I'm SOOOO thirsty and can't keep it down.

Please some one help me?? The only thing that has kept me going is that I lost 20 lbs in a week. But I'm just not happy with being thirsty and not able to drink.

April, slow down and sip smaller. I'm talking small. I'm talking take a sip and take 3 swallows to get it all swallowed. You have swelling, I'm sure, and I'm betting the valium isn't helping matters, seeing as there's this pill in your pouch that probably isn't going down if Water isn't. Irritation causes swelling causes irritation. You may very well need IV fluids again, but until you call your doc, sip sip sip just enough at a time to coat your esopogus. Maybe even slowly chew/suck on a Tums to reduce irritating acid.

Also, keep it warm, not cold. Or keep it cold, not warm. One or the other. I did better cold (I felt like ice packs on swelling tissue=cold things on swollen stomas?...anyhow, it felt better to me) but further down, after things open up more, egg drop Soup went down great and was so filling and nourishing.

Good luck, keep us posted!