Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pro Op And Cant Stop Eating

Don't know why...but since I decided to get banded (mar 30)...I can't stop eating and gained like 8 pounds already....it's almost like self punishment....I don't have any pre diet to do....but I don't think my doctor expects me to come in so much heavier than the last time he saw me....this is crazy...

Anyone else like me? That day can't come soon enough....I'm so out of control....

I was in the same boat as you. I think some of it is in part to the fact that I am an overly emotional eater. I have a therapist I am working with to try and rid myself of this pattern. Don't know if it would work for you, but I would certainly look into it, if you think that is why you're out of control right now.

You;ll have to get a handle on this or there won't be much point in getting the band. After being banded you;ll have to excercize a lot of self restraint in your eating habits. The band helps, but most of it will be up to you. You;ll probably

experience some "what have I done?" and a week or two of depression that you;ll have to get through, all the while

trying to loose weight. I could tell you not to worry and it;ll be all roses and bubble gum, but the reality of it is that this

will be hard work and your weight loss will be up to you. 1000 calories isn't very much, but in the right frame of mind,

many, many people get by on it.

Right now, put down those potato chips and Coke and make up your mind that you;re going to lose weight beginning

today, and do it. Grit your teeth and best of luck.

You;ll have to get a handle on this or there won't be much point in getting the band. After being banded you;ll have to excercize a lot of self restraint in your eating habits. The band helps, but most of it will be up to you. You;ll probably

experience some "what have I done?" and a week or two of depression that you;ll have to get through, all the while

trying to loose weight. I could tell you not to worry and it;ll be all roses and bubble gum, but the reality of it is that this

will be hard work and your weight loss will be up to you. 1000 calories isn't very much, but in the right frame of mind,

many, many people get by on it.

Right now, put down those potato chips and Coke and make up your mind that you;re going to lose weight beginning

today, and do it. Grit your teeth and best of luck.

Well said! 100% agree... I did the same thing and got the band... It has taken me over 4 years to lose 40lbs, 25 of which have been in the last five weeks, since I got my head in the game.

Therapy can be a huge help during this process. I don't think it's unusual to "mourn" the loss of food before your surgery though. I had quite a few Last Meals :) before I started my pre-op diet. Funny thing is, though, being banded doesn't mean that you can't eat the same things you are eating now. It just means that you can eat less of them and feel full and totally satisfied with that smaller amount.

A big part of being successful is just deciding what you are going to do to help yourself succeed and doing it. I wrote out a pre-op plan for success before my surgery (here is a LINK to it), and it helped me a lot to keep coming back to it. Now that your surgery date is closer, why don't you try to turn your focus from food to what you will do to make the band work for you? I recommend reading up on it, checking out the blogs (and starting your own blog if you're at all inclined -- mine has been a HUGE help in keeping me on the straight & narrow more often than not), and just getting yourself mentally prepared.

I'm 3 years and 5 months post-op and have been at goal for about 2 years. I've also gone to therapy through that whole time (every other week), and that helped me a lot. If you can get your mindset committed to this process, it will be much, much easier for you, and you'll be all the more likely to be a hugely successful bandster.

I hope that helps! Sending best wishes for your success.

Catherine