Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am only 48 hours post-op, am only on liquid/puree type foods, haven't had a fill, and already my family has gotten me worked into a frazzle over how much my stomach can handle/how much I can eat at a given time or in a given day. I have to admit, I am a bit confused.

The information I got from True Results says I will only be eating 1/2 c. of food per meal...with 50% of that being Protein, etc. etc. Which boils down to only 1/4 c. of Protein, then veggies, etc. I've read some literature that says a banded person will consume 1 c. of food per meal. One recipe site I was given (by my patient advocate at True Results) has some recipes that one serving is 3/4c or 1/8 of a pie quiche (which I would assume would be more than 1/2 c).

How do I know how much to consume per meal? How will I know if it is too little (obvioiusly, I will know if it is too much).

I know I've made the right decision for myself, and in the end it will all work out, but right now I'm so confused that it's got me freaking out a little bit.

I think those recipes are for later on. I got banded on the 7th. The dr said 3-4 oz meals 3 times a day with Protein Shakes in between. I am on the full liquid/ purée diet for one week. The Clear Liquids I only did for 2 days. I have been measuring the 4oz and have had no problems with food.< /p>

I was told since I haven't had a fill yet, that I could eat anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1 cup per meal.. I seem to be holding to 1/2cup. I get my 1/4 measure out and put my Protein in dump it in my bowl or plate then my veggie so I have my 1/2. If I have stew or Soup ( mushed still in that stage, then I just message out 1/2cup)... I keep it to items that are easy to message. Like tuna, salmon, chicken ( canned ) stews, Soups, yogurt, etc..

I am only 48 hours post-op, am only on liquid/puree type foods, haven't had a fill, and already my family has gotten me worked into a frazzle over how much my stomach can handle/how much I can eat at a given time or in a given day. I have to admit, I am a bit confused.

The information I got from True Results says I will only be eating 1/2 c. of food per meal...with 50% of that being Protein, etc. etc. Which boils down to only 1/4 c. of Protein, then veggies, etc. I've read some literature that says a banded person will consume 1 c. of food per meal. One recipe site I was given (by my patient advocate at True Results) has some recipes that one serving is 3/4c or 1/8 of a pie quiche (which I would assume would be more than 1/2 c).

How do I know how much to consume per meal? How will I know if it is too little (obvioiusly, I will know if it is too much).

I know I've made the right decision for myself, and in the end it will all work out, but right now I'm so confused that it's got me freaking out a little bit.

i havent been banded yet but it seems to me that you are having way too much right now?? arent you supposed to be on just liquids? ? what did your dr say to you about immediate post op?? AS much as your family loves you and cares for you , they dont know how to give you the best advice, unless they are telling you to just stick to the liquids for now.. ( did you dr tell you that you could have semi solids already?) if it were me i would be doing some research online here with the forum. i would be writing it down and if its in line with what your dr told you , stick with it. never mind what the others are telling you to do. Its a huge change that you are going through, i understand the enormity of it all. ive yet to go where you are ... and i may have some issues as well. What ive done is keep a journel.. covering every aspect of the surgery and adding recipes as well for the different stages of recovery.This is all from learning online. Ive still got to talk with my dietician.

If you are still confused about it, what about ringing your dietician?? she can help you.

At my last visit with the dietitian, she gave me the following information:

Bariatric Surgery Diet Stages:

1) Post Op Day 0: Clear Liquids

2) Post Op Day 1-7: liquid Diet-Less than 1/2 cup per feeding

3) Week 2-3: Soft-1/2 cup per feeding

4) Week 4+: Low fat, no added sugar, modified consistency (no doughy bread/thick meats) 1/2 cup or less per feeding

If I were you, I would call my dietitian or doctor for clarification concerning the specific guidelines you are supposed to be following.

I am 1 1/2 months post op and have 4cc of fill in my 11 cc band. I eat on the average of 1 1/2 cups per meal but do it very slowly with small well chewed bites. I was on the Protein Shake thing for a couple of weeks but realized after tracking my Protein intake, that I was getting just as much by eating the proper foods instead of drinking them. I get 80 - 90 grams daily. The 'chant' that I have heard is, 'don't drink your meals, eat them'. Works for me. I am steadily losing weight and feel great. I lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks. I am into the slow and steady mindset. It took me years to put the weight on and it will take time to get it off.

MissManders,

Email me if you'd like a copy of what my nutritionist gave me. Not sure if your TR office is like mine...mine has an Exercise Physiologist on staff, NOT a nutritionist. The advice they gave me was for after 4 weeks post-op, once I resumed normal eating. It was NOT for the healing stage!!!

I went to a separate nutritionist and she gave me the best advice on what to eat, when to eat and how to eat! I learned so much from her.

Even now if I have a question I will email Sharon and not ask at TR. I want my info from a real nutritionist. I will occasionally ask the nurse that does my fills, because she is banded also, but take most advice from my nut Sharon.

Kittyforet@yahoo.com

I'm home and can send it today.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I would for you to email me a copy of what your nut gave you . I am really struggling on how much, when, and what. My dr told eat when your hungry and eat till your satisfied . That has not helped me much. My email is jcpboss@gmail.com