Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone.

I had my surgery on Monday, March 5th, at 9am at Marina Del Rey Hospital in So.California.

I had the lap-band with plication and stayed overnight for a procedure that usually is outpatient. But because of the pain and vomiting, my surgeon recommended I stay overnight.

The first day was awful. I woke up from anesthesia at 1:30 PM, and soon after walked over to radiology for my x-ray. After a couple of sips of the barium swallow, I threw up. The tech told me no one had ever done that before. So that kind of worried me!

I felt much better after vomiting because I feel a whole bunch of burps came out at the same time. Anyway, everything looked good, they said.

Hours later, the pain was unbearable. They pushed dilaudid into my IV and I felt much better. The next day I was still nauseated, and couldn't drink the Protein stuff they gave me, nor could I handle much Water. I was too scared I'd vomit. They discharged me sometime afternoon the day after surgery and I felt positive my recovery would be fast.

Well, today I'm on post-op day 6.

Throughout the past couple of days I've still not been able to drink much Water, Protein, or anything, am very weak, and start dry heaving when I lay down to sleep. I keep vomiting burps and mucous, I don't know where it comes from. Also, right before these episodes, my mouth salivates excessively!! I have to spit out tons of saliva, that's how I KNOW the heaving is coming. It's the worst feeling. It takes a lot of energy, energy I don't have in the first place, to expel this mucous. I can't help but to cry.

I asked my nurse if that was normal and she insists it is. So I'm waiting it out. But how normal could not eating or drinking nutrients for 6 days be?

I'm scared that if I do this for another couple of days I may pass out from weakness.

I have awful gas pains. Both shoulders hurt like hell. Nevermind the incisions, that's not even bothering me. It's these little annoying burps that make my diaphragm jump and it's SO painful!

So many times this week I've thought to myself "What have I done?? Why didn't I just diet and exercise like Jennifer Hudson?! Is all this pain really worth it? Will it ever be over?"

I'm sure others have had worse experiences. But I feel so miserable. I have very little energy, and fear vomiting everyday.

When does this get better? :( At this rate I don't see myself eating mushies or drinking full liquids anytime soon.

What can I do to alleviate the discomfort of gas and nausea? I'm already on Lortab and Zofran!! And I STILL feel awful.

Has anyone had plication with lap-band and experienced what I'm going through?

I appreciate any responses. Comfort and success seem so far away right now. I just wish I could fast forward to next month. :(

Hope you start feeling better very quickly. I had the lap band without any issues so I don't know what you are going through.

I didn't have plication but I'm sending good wishes your way. I had bad gas pains as well. The heating pad helped. If you are feeling like you are severely dehydrated don't be afraid to be your own advocate with your doctor. They were paid to provide the best care possible and that includes listening to your concerns and responding to those concerns after the surgery.

Hang in there.

I didn't have plication but I'm sending good wishes your way. I had bad gas pains as well. The heating pad helped. If you are feeling like you are severely dehydrated don't be afraid to be your own advocate with your doctor. They were paid to provide the best care possible and that includes listening to your concerns and responding to those concerns after the surgery.

Hang in there.

i agree with this. perhaps if you insist on talking with your dr??

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I'm feeling much better today.

I do however, have the worst left shoulder pain as of yesterday. Why did the pain onset several days after surgery?

Weird. I cried earlier because I was laughing at my baby, not realizing it would affect my shoulder. Omg I looked so stupid my husband thought I was joking. LOL

Anyway, after I posted that first topic, I threw up once more that night. Just mucous and burps. After that I knocked out and I'm feeling better. I am starting to want to drink Water and try Jello. Although, I just started drinking Isopure today. So that's 6 days of NO Protein and very little Water. I wonder if my hair will start falling off, or if it will really have an effect on my body.

I'm still not physically hungry. But my head is. I finally understand what that means. My husband brought home his Panda Express leftovers and I just watched him eat it.... Chinese is my favorite food, by the way. It was painful. :(

Can't wait to have that stuff again, of course, in moderation. I'm finally feeling optimistic and excited to see what the scale says this wednesday at my 1 week post-op meet.

Thanks for the support, ladies.

I cheated today!! This is not good! I'm starting to feel hunger and I saw a hard lonely chocolate chip cookie and I had to have it. I'm only a week out, and I didn't even think twice! I let it melt in my mouth little piece by little piece and it was amazing.

However, this worries me because already I'm showing no discipline. :( damn!!