Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Normal?? 3-Days Post-Op

I was banded on Tuesday March 6th. I came home from the hospital on the 7th. Surgery was great, I'm a bit sore but that's it. Yesterday I tried to have some broth and Water ( at different times) and I could only finish half broth and a few sips of Water for the day, I also managed to have some Jello 1/2 a cup and forced Protein in me. I feel like each time I eat everything is sitting between my chest area and it feels tight. If I did' t have surgery I'd almost think I was having some kind of chest pain??... Today I woke up day 3 and felt great no lump feeling in my chest area so I tried to get some water in, I had two sips and same thing, I feel it all lodged between my chest area. I'm hoping this is normal due to swelling but I just want to make sure.

I know everyone is different but can you please share your experiences a few days post-op. I can't even imagine getting two bottles of water in a day in let alone 64 oz's? Anyone??

Thanks so much!!

I focused more on just sipping all day and not forcing myself. I did my best and like you said everyong is different. Just take your time and take small sips and what a minute or two before taking another sip. You will find what works best for you. Good luck to you!!

so is this feeling normal?? My stomach is hungry but I dont' want to try to get anything in because of the discomfort and tightness above. I kinda feel like my top half is not hungry and the bottom of my stomach is ??? I know odd, sorry... lol

it is normal. My doctor told me over and over sip sip sip sip... I have always been a heavy Water drinker and use to gulp it down. It is a mental thing I also think as soon as I pick up the water, sip sip sip. It will get easier hey you are only 3 days post op.

I felt the same. I am 8 days out and still just a little and I get that tightness. I call my doc a lot. He told my fiancé if I sneeze at two am and it worries him that he should text him. He gave us his personal cell and my fiancé has used it hehe. My doc said this is due to gas and I should walk, walk, walk, walk. R u having bm's? Like everyone will say keep sipping but I don't get anywhere near that much Water either. I'm just starting to b able to actually drink a bottle of water in a day.

I am 4 days post-op and I know how you feel... For me I believe it was all the gas on top of the stomach being swelled up from the surgery. Definitely sip on everything and be mindful of your fullness as you go along before you over do it like I did yesterday :( lol

Thanks everyone!! I love this board and you guys!! SO helpful!!

Everything you're going through is totally normal. Not only is your stomach very swollen, but you have considerable air in your abdominal cavity, too. The combination of the two can make drinking difficult as well as cause pain/pressure.

The thing most don't realize is, the gas they pump in to blow up your tummy for surgery isn't in your digestive system, so no amount of burping or farting will help relieve it. It has to be reabsorbed by your body and the best way to help that along is by walking. That's why some experience tightness or pain in their chest, back, and even shoulder after laproscopic abdominal surgery.

Dannon makes these little 4oz bottles of Water. I got these after surgery because it was a much more reasonable amount of liquids to deal with and it helped me keep track of how much I was consuming.

Good luck to you, you're right where you're supposed to be, now just give your body time to heal. :)

I am right there with you. I had my surgery on the 6th too and that feeling is so awful. I will say though, that today it is much better. I think the swelling is slowly going down as things are passing much better today. You are TOTALLY normal with what you are experiencing. I feel your pain. It can only get better :) I was so hungry yesterday but nothing would go down right. THankfully today I am have some relief so I am geting more sips down. Best of luck to you. It will get better!

Hey all. I started a separated fb page so I can connect stay connected with my fellow banders! I was banded 3-1-12 my fb is marchbander@yahoo.com my name is manda gay. Feel free to friend me!

Almost everytime someone writes in with the problems you are having; the surgeon left a fill in during surgery. Call and find out. Sounds like you need to get that fill taken out.

I'm 14 hrs Post op right now. I'm having this severe tightness in my chest and stomach. I've walked a bit but the pain meds make me dizzy so walking is difficult.

I asked my surgeon this morning if there would be any Fluid. In my band initially and he said no. Ohhhhhhhh I feel miserable. I'm glad I know I'm not the only one with these pains.