Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Have Your First Drink?

I was just wondering when everyone had there first drink after the lap band?

My doctor never said anything about not being able to drink...i was thinking wait at least 3 months after my surgery. I was just seeing what everyone else did.

Thanks!

My doctor just said no alcohol for 72 hours or while on pain medication post-op. And to take into account the calorie intake.

Okay thank you :)

My doctor and nutritionist never said I had to avoid alcohol, just to limit it as I would any other empty calorie food. So I waited until about week 3 (off meds, eating soft solids, and feeling good). Then I caved and had half a glass of white wine. Wow, was that nice! :D

I was just wondering when everyone had there first drink after the lap band?

My doctor never said anything about not being able to drink...i was thinking wait at least 3 months after my surgery. I was just seeing what everyone else did.

Thanks!

i was reading up on alcohol and the lap band or the sleeve. it sounds like it does affect us a lot more.. it moves through the small stomach so much quicker, and so there is more alcohol that moves through the gut. it seems that its not healthy. i like a drink myself... i dont know what to think about it. especially knowing that if we eat while we have a drink then the alcohol is absorbed in the stomach so its impact is lessened somewhat. because we cant drink for half hour beforehand and an hour after eating, food isnt going to help with the impact of the alcohol. im no expert... what do the others here think about it??

5 weeks post-op... My doctor didn't say anything about it except to watch the calories and that drinking in moderation was absolutely fine. I waited 5 weeks but that was more just due to circumstance than any restraint on my part :)

I was very up front with my Dr that I was going to drink with the band. I had turned 21 3 months before. What I have really noticed is I am much more of a light weight. From weighing less to eating less food. Be careful with carbonation. Also I throw up a lot easier so really pay attention to your body. I usually stick with straight shots and chase with diet soda, less calories about 90 a shot, clear liquor has less calories.

I think I had some wine about 2 weeks after and was fine. I am drinking a lot less because I'm just overall more moderate and cautious with everything that goes in my body.

Be careful with beer. If its in a can, pour it in a mug. That carbonation hurts!!

Just had my first drink last night since being banded 1/27. I had a couple of glasses of wine during the course of the evening with friends. I did notice it did not seem to take much before I was feeling the effects of the alcohol so that might be something to watch. Also, not sure if this is related to the wine but I could NOT sleep last night at all. Felt tired when I went to bed but then was wide awake! So not like me as usually I hit the bed and am out. Not sure if that is related to having the wine or just a coincidence. Just something to keep in mind :wacko:

I didn't have my first drink until about a month and a half after being banded. Since then I've probably average about 1-2 drinks per week. I usually combine Whiskey or Vodka with 7up - the 7up is probably not the best thing for my band, but hey, we're all human.

As an aside, for Crystal Light fans, I have found that Crystal Lights combine well with Vodka and/or Rum - a Malibu banana Rum with Cherry Crystal Light on the rocks being my personal favorite. Cheers.

For a bandster alcohol metabolizes exactly the same as it did pre-op. Our anatomy has not been altered. So it moves through the full stomach and into the intestines as it always did.

For gastric bypass patients, the absorption of alcohol is significantly changed and they feel the effects much sooner, and their blood alcohol stays raised for longer than a normal person.

After you have lost a significant amount of weight, it will take less alcohol for you to feel its effects. Plus if you cut back during the weight-loss phase, your tolerance may decrease. I know mine did. When my weight stabilized and I began enjoying adult beverages again, it only took one for me to feel it. But that was because I hadn't consumed any in two years.

Now my tolerance is back to what it was pre-op.

I started having a drink about 2 weeks post op. I had several drinks Friday night and boy did I regret it...stupid me. As you become more inebriated you forget your limitations and that is dangerous. After drinking several drinks I then started doing shots and ended up vomiting...not a good idea but it was a valuable lesson learned and something that I will never do again...I am 4 1/2 weeks post op.

Okay guys thanks for all the great info...my doctor did mention that ot would not affect me any differently since my anatomy has not been changed just my weight and amout of food intake. This is all great things...all my friends were having a couple of glasses of wine the other night and i tortured myself by not having any because i wasnt sure...of course i am going to ask my doctor if its okay but all of your experiences has helped!! :D

I didn't have my first drink until about a month and a half after being banded. Since then I've probably average about 1-2 drinks per week. I usually combine Whiskey or Vodka with 7up - the 7up is probably not the best thing for my band, but hey, we're all human.

As an aside, for Crystal Light fans, I have found that Crystal Lights combine well with Vodka and/or Rum - a Malibu banana Rum with Cherry Crystal Light on the rocks being my personal favorite. Cheers.

that crystal light drink does sound wonderful..my doctor told me to stay away from all sodas/carbonation...and i sure did love rum and cokes before the surgery. but a malibu rum and crystal light sounds good to me :D

I tore it up from the floor up 3 weeks after surgery. But it was non carbonated drinks only. And gentle sipping. I did not have carbonation untill 3 months after surgery. And quickly decided the uncomfortable bloating and burping is not for me. I too like the crystal lite and Malibu rum idea :)