Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Trouble Swallowing (3.5 Weeks Post-Op)

I was banded on Feb 8th, and my first fill is scheduled for March 27th. Right now I have no restriction, however, after I eat 5-6 tiny bites (I'm on pureed foods right now) I get this terrible lump in my throat where it hurts me to swallow any more. Usually I have only swallowed a tablespoon of food, like mashed potatoes, and maybe a teaspoon of pureed chicken. I don't know if I am eating too fast, or what may be causing the problem. This occurs with all types of food- applesauce, yogurt, whatever I may be trying to eat. So I have to stop for a half hour and finish eating later. Could this be caused by the respirator I was on during the surgery? I have NO more gas pain, very little incision pain, but my gag reflex is super easily triggered, especially by pills. I am on 40 mg omeprazole daily for 30 days to help the esophagus heal. It is causing me too eat very little to avoid throat pain. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm sorry I can't help because I have not had my surgery yet but I'm sure there will be someone on this post soon.

Sound like you have a tight restriction. That's the way I feel when I'm over full or tight. My tightness changes hourly. Sometimes I can eat one thing and it won't go down another. Make sure you tell your dr when go to get fill he may decide to wait a while. I felt just like you at puréed stage (could eat very little )and right after I got a fill.

I wouldn't wait til the 27th, that's a long time to suffer needlessly if that's the case. Call and try and get in tomorrow.

Could your doctor have put any fill in your band during surgery? Based on my doctor's plan I would only be on cottage or ricotta cheese at this point of your recovery. Could the food you are eating be too substanial? I was not allowed canned chicken until week 4. Perhaps if you try really thin mushies like cottage cheese and yogurt it will be easier to eat.

It sounds like it is till gas built up! The first couple of weeks after my surgery I was going crazy with the same type of lump in my throat feeling. My doctor said it was gas but it just didnt make sense to me that thats what it was so I was really worried and nervous ;) Well let me tell you that he was right -- it took a month plus for me to be back to normal. It will subside I promise once you are all healed up you wont have the problem!

i was banded feb 8. i found that drinking warm broth before anything else helped alot with this feeling of restriction in my throat.. warm chicken broth.. or any clear Soup for that matter can help

I called the surgeon's office and they think they left some fill (air) in the band from surgery. So I have to go in on Tuesday at 2:15 and they will un-fill it! Yikes! I'm a little scared! Plus I have to go back to mostly warm liquids over the weekend. They did say my symptoms seemed to indicate a partial fill, because it just became noticeable when I went on pureed foods about a week ago. She said also try canned chicken or tuna which are very soft and mushy. The pureed (real) chicken gets too hard and stringy for some people to tolerate. Too bad for me- chicken is my FAVORITE food! Oh well, I'd rather be losing weight than worrying about chicken!