Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-banders unite!!!

Hi there, I would be interested to know what Dr. R. said; can you forward me your notes? I'm considering it for March...

I'm in the obsessed information gathering phase. I haven't decided on a surgeon yet. I will probably be self-pay b/c I'm a 39 BMI and very healthy. (Why doesn't Cigna want to KEEP me healthy?)

What scares me:

-I wolf my food down. I'm scared I will PB all the time before I learn the slower eating.

-I am an emotional eater. I think it will be hard to face that I can no longer stuff myself. I feel like it is a break-up of sorts and I know it will be tough but it has to happen.

-Eating out is a huge activity with my friends and family. I fear that I will be weird or high maintenance and not able to just relax and enjoy something off the menu.

-I fear the 'being on a diet' feeling. I hope to be able to balance mostly healthy eating with some treats too. But having thinsg be 'forbidden' bothers me.

-I fear the nerves before surgery more than surgery! Like I'm more afraid

I'll have a panic attack as they wheel me in rather than a surgical error.

-I hate barfing and nausea. I could have freakin Botulism and I would walk around the block a hundred times to not barf. Hate. It.

Otherwise, I think it could be one of the best things I do for myself!

Well, after months of research, I went to see Dr. Jay here in Dallas a little more than a month ago. Unfortunately my company changed to BCBS/Tx in January and OMG ~ I spoke to a very helpful person there and she told me that they want a 12 month history with your dr, pschy, dietition, etc. I'm not waiting! So, I'm going this week for my EKG and blood tests and will go from there! :mad:

My absolute biggest fear is receiving a resistant staph infection ~ I've already had 1 and almost lost my leg to it....so this is #1, although it is highly unlikely. A more reasonable fear is erosion, or any complication causing the removal of the band! I'm Ready!!!

Hello there. Great Idea for a thread....I am scheduled to get "banded" on March 3rd in Mexico! I am so excited. I want to be active and healthy for my boys ages 4 & 6. I have had surgery before (gallbladder,tubes tied) so I am not too worried about that, I am scared to death of the gas bubbles that you get when they fill your stomach up with air. I had the worst when I had surgery the first time. Gas rises and lands up in your shoulder blades. I heard that taking Gas-X before and after can help, but am still nervous! Sorry I am rambling...I must be tired. Congrats to all that have dates and hang in there to all who are waiting! It's worth it!

Take Care,

IslandMom

Who is doing your surgery in Mexico? I am also having my surgery on the 3rd. I was just reading all the posts and found a negative one on the Dr. that will be performing my surgery, now I am getting worried...I hope I didn't pick the wrong surgeon.

Hi everyone. I delayed my consult w/Dr. Spivak on 2/15 because they told me 1 co-morbidity probably wasn't sufficient with a BMI of 36(good candidate for Dr. but not good enough for ins.???) I thought high cholesterol (on med), GERD (on med), IBS, elevated blood sugar, blood pressure (on med) would surely be enough. My pcp told me I should have went for the consult anyway. So now I have to call and get on the schedule again ASAP. Anyway, I'll go chance it.....and see what happens with the Pre-D.

I am having my surgery at Bajanor on March 3rd. I have a friend and her mother that went there in Aug and recommend it. I have also spoken with 5 other people about their experiences and they have good things to say as well. I have spoken with the doctors several times and like them and have also done alot of other homework on them as well. Where are you going in Mexico?

I'm seeing the doctor on friday. Here in Portugal there aren't many hoops to jump through, so I'm hoping to get a surgery date some time in April.

I think I'm mostly afraid that I won't loose weight or that I will be a slow looser. I am only going to tell my hubby's family here in Portugal before the surgery and then my family after. I am only going back to the US to see my family at Christmas, so hopefully by then I will have lost a lot and I can justify having the surgery (to them).

BAND RELATED ISSUES THAT FRIGHTEN ME:phanvan

:sick i AM AFRAID OF COMPLICATIONS

:eek: i AM AFRAID OF BEING SO FINE, THAT MY OLD MAN'S EYES POP OUT

:heh: I AM AFRAID OF SOME AQUAINTANCES BEING JEALOUS

:kiss I AM AFRAID THAT MY SECRET MAY GET OUT

:cool: I AM AFRAID I WILL BE SO COOL, THAT IT WILL HAVE AN ADVERSE AFFECT ON THE CURRENT GLOBAL WARMING TREND, FURTHER DISRUPTING THE IMBALANCE OF NATURE.

:omg: I AM AFRAID THAT MY MOUTH WILL STICK OPEN LIKE THIS POOR GUYS.

:hungry: I AM AFRAID I WILL MISS food.< /p>

:kiss2: I AM AFRAID I WILL BE SO FINE THAT EVERYONE MISTAKES ME FOR A STRIPPER

:bandit I AM AFRAID I WILL BE SO DAM CUTE THAT SOME BANDIT TRIES TO STEAL ME

:o I AM AFRAID I WILL PB IN PUBLIC, AND BE EMBARASSED

:tea: I AM AFRAID THAT IF I CHEER TO SOON, I WILL JINX MYSELF

:peep: I AM AFRAID THIS WEIRD GUY BEHIND THE WALL IS GONNA GET ME

:ban: I AM AFRAID THAT MY HUSBAND WILL KEEP ME CHAINED UP FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL RECREATION.

:alien I AM AFRAID I WILL BE ABDUCTED BY ALIENS BEFORE, DURING, OR AFTER I AM BANDED.

:Bunny I AM AFRAID THIS IS THE CUTEST LIL RABBIT I NEVER DID SEE

:car: I AM AFRAID THE CAMERA WILL ADD 10 LBS....NOT!!!

:violin:I AM AFRAID EVERYONE WILL GET TIRED OF HEARING ME TALK ABOUT HOW HARD IT IS TO BUY NEW CLOTHING

:boom:I AM AFRAID I WILL BE SO FINE, THAT I SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST

:tape2:I AM AFRAID OF WAKING UP FROM SURGERY WITH MY MOUTH TAPED

:mad: I AM AFRAID I MAY BE BANNED FROM THE BOARD FOR OVERUSE OF SMILEYS

:usa2:I AM AFRAID OF SAYING THE PLEDGE TOO LOUD

:bolt:I AM AFRAID THAT I WILL BE SO HOT THAT EVERYONE WILL RUN FROM ME

:dance:I AM AFRAID I MAY SING AND DANCE NONSTOP

:canada: I AM AFRAID OF CANADIANS............?

:Yawn: I AM AFRAID THAT LAST INSTALLMENT OF $9,200 WILL STICK TO MY HAND WHEN I TRY TO GIVE IT TO THE SURGERY CENTER

:hurt I AM AFRAID OF PEOPLE WHO CRY LIKE THIS

:plane: I AM AFRAID TO RIDE IN A SINGLE AIRPLANE SEAT

:boink: I AM AFRAID OF THIS WEIDO STICKING ME WITH A..STICK

:kev: I AM AFRAID OF BEING CURSED OUT IN CHINESE

:pizza: I AM AFRAID OF NEVER BEING ABLE TO EAT pizza AGAIN

:fish: I AM AFRAID OF GETTING HIT IN THE HEAD WITH A FISH...AREN'T YOU?

:whoo:I AM AFRAID THAT MY HUSBAND WILL BE LOOKING AT ME AND DANCING LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME

:drama: I AM AFRAID I WILL HAVE A MEAN NURSE

:pirate AND A ONE EYED DOCTOR

:rofl:I AM AFRAID OF ANYONE WHO CAN DO THIS WITH THEIR HEAD

:fish2: I AM AFRAID A FISH MIGHT MISTAKE ME FOR BAIT

:spy: I AM AFRAID THAT I WILL HAVE TO GO INCOGNITA TO AVOID THE PAPPARAZZI

:hail: I AM AFRAID THAT PEOPLE WILL WORSHIP ME FOR MY SLEEK AND CHISELED A$$

:couch2: I AM AFRAID THAT I WILL GET STUCK IN BETWEEN THE CUSHIONS

:popcorn:I AM AFRAID OF BEING SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT IN A popcorn BAG

:brick: I AM DEFINITLY AFRAID OF SOMEONE THROWING A BRICK AND HITTING ME IN THE HEAD

:humble:I AM AFRAID THAT THIS WILL BE THE TREATMENT I GET IN PUBLIC

:lick EITHER THAT OR THIS

:llama:I AM AFRAID A WILD LLAMA WILL CHASE ME DOWN AND SPIT IN MY EYE AND CAUSE AN INFECTION DELAYING MY PROCEDURE

:director: I AM AFRAID THAT I WILL BE AFRAID OF MY PERSONAL TRAINER

:cheer2:I AM AFRAID THAT I MIGHT FIT BACK INTO MY SIZE 5 HIGH SCHOOL CHEERLEADER OUTFIT, AND DH WILL MAKE ME WEAR IT TO BED...EVERY...NIGHT

:banana I AM AFRAID I WONT BE ABLE TO DANCE AS GOOD AS THE banana GUYS

:lie:I AM AFRAID MY NOSE WILL GROW FROM LETTING EVERYONE BELIEVE THAT DIETING ALONE ACCOMPLISHED ALL THIS.

BUT MOST OF ALL, I AM AFRAID THAT IF I DO NOT GET THE SURGERY, I WILL LIVE THE REST OF MY LIFE IN THIS SAD, PATHETIC WAY THAT I DO NOW.

I AM SO GLAD YOU STARTED THIS THREAD, I REALLY ENJOY ENTERTAINING MYSELF WITH THESE SMILEYS.

Im glad i was able to "be there" for you! ;)

I have my first appointment with my Dr. Srikanth here in Tacoma Washington on March 8th. I too will be a self pay.. but I feel it is total worth it. I have been researching for a year on the surgery. I can't wait. Looking forward to the results. Hoping to find fellow bandsters in the area.

Congratulations to all of you that have a date...hats off to you! :yo:

I never thought about a car accident, but you never know when you take to the road.

~Sorority ChiK~ I would highly recommend you call your insurance company without being a pest. :welldone2: I would want to make sure they have everything they need and it gives you the opportunity to follow-up if something is missing. Like I said, I plan on calling once a week and I also document every date, time, and person I talk to just for my personal reference.....a habit from my working days.

~nc_longhorn~ That is a terrible thing your dealing with and I can't believe they told you to stop calling. I take it you are approved and only waiting on a surgery date? What is physicians review? I'm not familiar with that. Wish I could help in some way. Maybe call and ask to speak to the office manager and calmly try to get some answers. Best of luck and I hope you get your date soon.....you've been waiting a long time in my book.

I called UHC today, they said all my info was rcvd on 2/16/ and went over to the pre-determination dept today... so, im still waiting...:scared:

I'm also pre-banding - went to a seminar in December (after reading all about things for several months). Saw the surgeon on Feb. 10th, and also met with nutritionist at same time.

Now I need psych and EEG, psych is scheduled for March 10th, hopefully the EEG will be scheduled for then as well; i'll also get blood work drawn at the same time. 2 weeks after the psych appt, they can submit my paperwork to my insurance company and wait for an approval - but the insurance I have typically will approve in a day or two, so i'm trying not to worry about that.

Then we can schedule a surgery date (after the paperwork gets submitted to insurance company, they don't wait for an approval, but schedule surgery right away, at least with the insurance I have).

I need a recommendation from my primary care doctor, along with the results of a full physical - that is scheduled for April 4th.

I'm hoping to schedule surgery for mid-May - already laying the ground work at work (I'm not telling anyone at work what i'm having done). I'm telling everyone at work that i have a hiatal heria (which is true) that i'm having surgery to fix (which is also true, they'll fix it before placing the band). I'm also using that as a reason that i'll be eating very differently after surgery, and already bemoaning the fact to people at work.

I've told my husband and one close friend the truth, but everyone else, including all my family, is getting the hiatal hernia story. I originally told my sister I was looking into lap band (she's a doctor) - she wasn't very supportive and tried to sway me towards gastric bypass, because she knows several people that have had it done and been very successful. So I recently told her that after meeting with the surgeon, they want to fix my hiatal hernia first, and then i'll talk to them about the lap band surgery. As far as she knows, i'll never get the lap band surgery, unless I decide later to tell my family what i've done.

Family lives more than 1000 miles away, so keeping things a secret isn't a problem - hopefully the next time I see any of them, i'll be much slimmer!! I'll tell family and/or friends after i'm more comfortable with a lower weight, or when the time feels right. I just don't want everyone watching me constantly about what i'm eating, and how much weight i'm losing.

Nice to see this thread - keep the replies coming!!

Hello Ive got a surgery date APRIL 13,Im very excited about starting a new life sort of like a re-birth but also already scared to death!!But I know God will see me through it!!

I am afraid of productive burping. I really hate that idea.

I am afraid of not being able to eat and feeling hungry.

I am afraid of GERD and ruining my esophagus.

I am afraid that I won't lose weight.

I am afraid of obstruction.

I am afraid that I will spend my family's hard earned money and not lose weight. And look pathetic.