Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-banders unite!!!

I see all the posts about people banded and frankly, at this point, im jealous, i cant wait to get banded.

So, for the pre-banders, tell us how your experience has been thus far...what are some of the things that scare you the most about being banded?

as far as myself, it has gone fairly smooth. At this point, i am just waiting on approval from my insurance. I am pushing for an April date! :gluck: the only things i really thing about is be hungry, i cant stand that feeling, and not being able to drink while it eat and having to wait 30 min after....

I'm waiting on my surgery date. I believe that my dr's office lost my file, because they kept telling me that I was in physician's review, then they called to ask if I'd changed my mind. All of this after they'd told me to quit calling to check on my status. I had all of my tests done in the fall. Now I have to do them again because some of them have "expired."

I'm really tired of waiting. It's funny, because I changed drs because my first one gave me the same kind of runaround. I think they don't like doing lapbands when you're insurance will pay for either (like mine will).

S

I guess my biggest fear is erosion. Since there is no clear cause and you can do everything right and still erode it's the number one fear for me. I've learned that most people erode within two years.

There was a rumor that taking aspirin or any NSAID would promote erosion. However, I have since learned this is no evidence to support that.

When I get my band in late April, I want to keep it for life.

I'm waiting also.:cry I changed my insurance to UHC because they are supposed to be so speedy in providing approval. Well...I guess they they knew I was anticipating this and changed their policy to include hoop jumping and slowness in the approval area. I'm waiting though and have put myself on hopefully my last diet :hungry: without the use of the lap band tool. What I have found to be appealing is the fact that this time has given me the opportunity to grow more knowledgeable about eating and what to expect in aftercare after I am finally gotten banded. I have no doubt that I am getting the band.:clap2:

My surgery date in March 9, 2006 in Mississauga, Canada. My biggest fears are that I die on the table ( oh so dramatic) or that I do not lose much weight. I start the Optifast on Thursday. I hope I am not too hungry. Is anyone else required to do teh optifast thing before surgery?

I'm prebanded too.. I see the doctor tomorrow and hope to get banded by the end of March. Insurance won't pay so I will....I'm worth it

Email me anytime to chat...Beckyf39@aol.com:help:

I'm pre-bandster also. I'm scheduled for next Monday the 27th. My insurance won't pay either. But like you, I feel like I'm worth it!!

Super idea for a thread Sorority ChiK.:clap2:

I want my band yesterday!! :ohwell: I think the Lord is teaching me patience b/c I only decided to get the band in early Jan and I know many people on here have waited much much longer. I am jealous too.

I just called ins today and they confirmed they have rec'vd my Letter of PreD however, my other documents (psy eval, personal letter, & dr notes) were not sent out until yesterday. :mad: I am THRILLED to say the least that they do have the L of PD....I am one step closer....YEAH!!! :clap2: They have a 30 day turn-around time and I'll be calling every week to keep my file fresh in their minds.

My biggest fear is not being able to drink the amount of Water I'm used to. I drink as least 6-7 bottles of Water a day. I get thirsty b/c of sinus problems and worry that I'll be thirsty alot. Does anyone know why we can't drink w/meals? Does the liquid fill up the stomach and not allow enough food?

Down deep I also fear the worst. I have two beautiful boys, ages 3 & 4, and the BEST husband in the world. I have prayed about the band & have peace with my decision, but I think it's natural to fear the possibility of death. That fear doesn't control me though b/c I'm full-speed ahead!!

I WANT IT NOW!!!

My surgery date is March 21, 2006. It's funny, my biggest fear is getting in a car accident on the way to the hospital. :car:

:omg:

I really don't want anything to get in my way of getting my band. I am also kinda freaked out about having surgery period. I have never had surgery before, so I don't know at all what to expect...will it hurt...will i want to throw up?

:fear::mad: :crutch:

Super idea for a thread Sorority ChiK.:clap2:

I want my band yesterday!! :ohwell: I think the Lord is teaching me patience b/c I only decided to get the band in early Jan and I know many people on here have waited much much longer. I am jealous too.

I just called ins today and they confirmed they have rec'vd my Letter of PreD however, my other documents (psy eval, personal letter, & dr notes) were not sent out until yesterday. :mad: I am THRILLED to say the least that they do have the L of PD....I am one step closer....YEAH!!! :clap2: They have a 30 day turn-around time and I'll be calling every week to keep my file fresh in their minds.

My biggest fear is not being able to drink the amount of Water I'm used to. I drink as least 6-7 bottles of Water a day. I get thirsty b/c of sinus problems and worry that I'll be thirsty alot. Does anyone know why we can't drink w/meals? Does the liquid fill up the stomach and not allow enough food?

Down deep I also fear the worst. I have two beautiful boys, ages 3 & 4, and the BEST husband in the world. I have prayed about the band & have peace with my decision, but I think it's natural to fear the possibility of death. That fear doesn't control me though b/c I'm full-speed ahead!!

I WANT IT NOW!!!

3loves,

I also just decided in mid to late Jan that I wanted it done! Maybe i should call my insurance too. I called the Dr's office today and they just said they were still waiting on approval and that they (UHC) has 30 days to make a decision. I was like oh hurry up already!

Hi all,

My surgery date is March 7, 2006 - two weeks from today. I'm being banded in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Roberto Rumbaut. I did my pre-op with his associate Dr. Rodriguez today and he says that most erosions occur when the patient continues to eat too much food. The pressure of the band combined with the pressure of too much food in the pouch stops the circulation of blood in the stomach tissue and that tissue dies - erosion. He said that some erosions occur for undetermined causes but that the majority of erosions can be avoided by eating the "right" amount of food.

:mad:

I don't know about the rest of you guys but THIS is my biggest worry. If I could eat the right amount of food I wouldn't be in this situation to begin with! He tells me that that will be easier with the band and I guess I'll just have to trust him on that one. :nervous

My other big worry is port site infection. Too many horror stories. Read the "Complications" thread about that but take my advise and don't stay on that thread too long. Too scary.

As far as pre-band diet goes - my BMI is 40 so my doctor says I don't really NEED to do it but he says that there are benefits to the diet that may make the surgery easier to recover from. I'll be fasting with Protein shakes for 3 days pre-op. I want to be one of those cases where the patient is up and at the mall the next day!

Wish me luck,

DonnaB

ADDED TWO MINUTES AFTER FIRST POST: (!) Doc says drinking Water with food washes food down and defeats the purpose of the band.

It occurs to me, I'm transcribing my pre-op consultation which I taped so I wouldn't forget the details of the conversation (I'm not only pre-band but pre-Alzheimers. I call it Halfheimers.) (That was a joke. Sometimes jokes just don't translate in email.) :car: If anyone is interested I could post the transcription. Let me know.

DonnaB

My surgery date is March 21, 2006. It's funny, my biggest fear is getting in a car accident on the way to the hospital. :car:

:omg:

I really don't want anything to get in my way of getting my band. I am also kinda freaked out about having surgery period. I have never had surgery before, so I don't know at all what to expect...will it hurt...will i want to throw up?

:fear::mad: :crutch:

I have had surgery before and I think its normal to be a little nervous or scared as you get closer to the big day. I have had a breast reduction and a tonselectomy and cried both times!

Congrats on your band date! (You too DonnaB)

<<<< wants hers! :guess

I am a newbie... and basically here for information.... I am deciding between the band and gastric..my insurance does cover both with the doctor approval .... my boyfriend is pushing for the band because its safer (?)... but I have seen what the gastric can do, as far as weight loss (there were three women that I used to work with that had it done and they lost really quickly. I have lost 130lbs on my own.. doing the low carb thing... but Ive stopped now, been on a plateau for almost a year... and want the remainder gone. So, here I am getting information.. meeting tons of great people and learning oh so much. Any tips... ideas.... advise that could help me on this journey for knowledge and an end to this battle.. would be absolutely wonderful and very much appreciated.

I am getting my Lap Band this Thurs by Dr. Rumbaut. I am nervous, but knew what I wanted when I started this pursuit, so I am only going to look foreward to all things good! I have 2 beautiful children ages 3 & 6 and hope I can make them proud. My sister in law is going to Mexico with me and she will be my rock. I' ll keep you all posted upon my return!