Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life Of The Band

How long is the band itself supposed to last? Do you need to have it switched out eventually? Is it like fillings in your teeth? When I had my braces, I was told my lower retainer would last about 20 years. My fillings are supposed to last 20 years (which means I'll have to have them re-done in the next 5 years or so... uuuuuuuugh...)

Nothing lasts forever. I'm scared of the band eroding :( There's so much stuff going on in our tummies with acids and enzymes. I can't imagine anything could survive that sort of corosion... have any of your surgeons given you any insight? I've tried looking at the internet but every website is so biased! The ones who are obviously anti-lap band are like "Your band won't last more than 3 years" and the ones that are clearly pro-band state "Your band will last longer than you!"

It's so hard to tell :( I don't want to be in and out of the doctor's office the rest of my life.

The band is placed on the outside of the stomach so what goes on inside your tummy stays there and doesnt touch the band :)

The band is meant to last a lifetime nowadays .. but as with all things .. maybe it will maybe it wont, .. how long is a peice of string ...

Whatever weight loss surgery u choose theres complications that can occur with all of them, to me the laband had the least invasive surgery and the complications were more of a minor nature. At least if something happens the band can be removed .. to me the surgery was no worse than having a wisdom tooth out .. I would be more scared of having my intestines rerouted in a bypass op :)

Cazzy - you've lost 224 pounds?! Oh my gosh, congratulations! Sorry, I just noticed that.

I agree with you 100% about gastric bypass. It sounds really intense. And the diet is overall far more restrictive than the lap band. From my understanding, you can still pretty much eat normal food, you just have to be judicious about what it is you do eat because your tummy won't hold that much.

But with gastric bypass you have to stick to liquids for something like 3 months and then gradually go to solids but can only eat like a quarter cup of anything at a time.

Talked to my surgeon about the band's "lifespan" and he told me I can expect for it to last as long as I do. I guess that makes sense. People get foreign objects inserted in their bodies all the time. I recently got a prosthetic tooth (complete with super fun jaw-bone drilling and a metal post insert - felt like I was getting a wall anchor) and didn't even question how long it would last.

It's just everyone makes such a big stink about weight loss surgery and it's pretty frustrating. That and sadly there's a stigma around it. Like we've all gotten to the point where we've completely lost our self control and have to rely on outside help. Have you ever met someone who lost a significant amount of weight without surgery? They always announce it like there's something wrong with getting surgery for help...

A last note: my doctor reminded me that 95% of those who lose weight naturally regain it within 2 years. He said 5 years after WLS most patients keep the weight off. Seems like the odds are in our favor!

Thanks! i was just of the mindset that i would make this work no matter what, ofc with some luck too .. fingers crossed :)

The risk of complications where your band might need to be replaced are less than your daily risk of the consequences of continued obesity.Other silicone devices have lasted a lifetime but the band hasnt been around long enough to know...

Ibuger - Lapband saved my life! I have a number of friends that have been banded and it is the safest sugery and highest success rate. Good luck!

Cheers,

K