Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suck It Up!!!!!!

I just had to read this when I saw the tease on Facebook, I should have recognized you right away lol I still come here daily to read and support. You have done amazing. I know that for some people it is a really hard change. For me, and I know it will drive you crazy, but the band really does all the hard work for me. I have been banded since october, and I just got a great fill and am now really losing. But I have been very passive in the exercise department. I think it will come and I will want to do better. I have the equipment, just need the gumption to get er done.

As you can see I am much more polite and nice over there.

I admire your strength and honesty B-52. I have learned a lot about sucking it up this week. I got myself to this place and now I have to make sacrifices to not only get myself out, but to change my ways for the rest of my life. I can't lie to you and tell you I never whine, I do as I am only on day 5 of pre-op, but I like you would have done anything my dr told me in order to get this tool to help me be successful. Giving up a handful of food items, buffets, mindless eating is so worth the end result. Thanks for keeping it real. I have to admit I was a bit offended as I first read your post and was ready to breathe fire, but I never speak without thinking first, or at least I try not too:) After giving it much thought, you are right. It is just hard for those of us who just started to hear it. It is the truth and we are better people for sucking it up and doing what is best for our bodies, life, and family.

I admire your strength and honesty B-52. I have learned a lot about sucking it up this week. I got myself to this place and now I have to make sacrifices to not only get myself out, but to change my ways for the rest of my life. I can't lie to you and tell you I never whine, I do as I am only on day 5 of pre-op, but I like you would have done anything my dr told me in order to get this tool to help me be successful. Giving up a handful of food items, buffets, mindless eating is so worth the end result. Thanks for keeping it real. I have to admit I was a bit offended as I first read your post and was ready to breathe fire, but I never speak without thinking first, or at least I try not too:) After giving it much thought, you are right. It is just hard for those of us who just started to hear it. It is the truth and we are better people for sucking it up and doing what is best for our bodies, life, and family.

My post was not intended for Newbies......I understand how frustrating beginning this journey can be.

What I am referring to, and I mentioned it my post, are those who after a few months will come to some important decisions as to wether they want to sacrifice and continue, or step backwards because they want to hang onto old habits.

You're not there yet, I believe, but after a few fills, restriction, and everything that goes with it, you will have to make these decisions also.

This will probably make you mad and you will want to post hateful stuff to me, but I have been reading your responses to many people over the past few months and I have a few thoughts about what you say. I agree with a lot of what you say, and I do feel people whine on here a lot, but please keep in mind that the whole purpose of a site like this is to be able to speak what you are feeling with the hope of some help. If you are tired of the whining, skip the post. Some people need a kind word when they are mentally in the pits. Others may need a little tough love, and some a brick over the head, but all have the right to air out frustration. I also hate hearing about the band not working for some because they are not using it as a tool, but the fact remains that the band DOES NOT work for some, be it faulty equipment, body rejection, infection, mental issues with food, and may other complications. Addiction, even a food addiction, is really hard to overcome, obviously, with the obese rate in our country and the reasons leading to ALL of us on here needing the surgery in the first place. I also know that if I ate as little as you did on a daily basis (from what you have written in your previous posts), I would be as skinny as you too. You had posted that you could drink a Protein Shake in the morning with a few berries or something like that blended in and not eat again the rest of the day. It seems the band has tricked your brain into believing that these liquids you drink are filling you up. I know the band is not meant for liquids so you are very fortunate this works for you. Oh to be so lucky! You made a change, you succeeded, you are winning, but please don't be too harsh on those that struggle. Maybe they are still at the place you were years ago.

We all have a tendency to whine occasionally. I spent Day 5 post-op in the ER certain that something had gone horribly wrong. Well, nothing was wrong. Day 6 was better. Day 7 was the worst of all, but it was the last bad day I had. I'm 3.5 weeks post-op now and even though I'm not feeling any restriction yet, I'm working the band, telling myself (sometimes more convincingly than others) that I'm full after my alloted amount of food, and I'm feeling great! Hang in there!

This will probably make you mad and you will want to post hateful stuff to me, but I have been reading your responses to many people over the past few months and I have a few thoughts about what you say. I agree with a lot of what you say, and I do feel people whine on here a lot, but please keep in mind that the whole purpose of a site like this is to be able to speak what you are feeling with the hope of some help. If you are tired of the whining, skip the post. Some people need a kind word when they are mentally in the pits. Others may need a little tough love, and some a brick over the head, but all have the right to air out frustration. I also hate hearing about the band not working for some because they are not using it as a tool, but the fact remains that the band DOES NOT work for some, be it faulty equipment, body rejection, infection, mental issues with food, and may other complications. Addiction, even a food addiction, is really hard to overcome, obviously, with the obese rate in our country and the reasons leading to ALL of us on here needing the surgery in the first place. I also know that if I ate as little as you did on a daily basis (from what you have written in your previous posts), I would be as skinny as you too. You had posted that you could drink a Protein shake in the morning with a few berries or something like that blended in and not eat again the rest of the day. It seems the band has tricked your brain into believing that these liquids you drink are filling you up. I know the band is not meant for liquids so you are very fortunate this works for you. Oh to be so lucky! You made a change, you succeeded, you are winning, but please don't be too harsh on those that struggle. Maybe they are still at the place you were years ago.

That's Ok, but you missed the point of my post completely!!!!

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression from reading the post that you were fed up with people whining and complaining about the band not working and wanted them to "suck it up." If I misread that.......... hmmmm........ then I guess I did miss the point.

I mostly agree with you B52. I think if someone decides, say, to get an unfill so that they can eat more, then they can't really complain if they gain some weight, you know?

Or if they don't want to go get fills, they can't really b***h about their lack of restriction.

But I think everyone should be entitled to make their decision on it. If you want to keep eating more, and therefore not lose, or even gain, who the hell am I to tell you not to? But OWN that decision. Live with the consequences. I have no issue with someone who gets the band then decides that that's not the lifestyle they want to live. But what I hate is people saying 'the band's not working' when it's really their choices that's not working.

I agree though with jayres that sometimes you need to be kind to someone when they're down. I think as heavy people we're so used to failing, so used to being helpless when it comes to our weight. But I always say, there are so very few things in the world that we can control, and the way we think is one of those things. So sometimes people just need a push in the right direction to get them believing in themselves again, and I think B52, from the posts of his that I've read, knows when someone just needs encouragement.

As mentioned by a previous poster I think some doctors/programs paint a very rosy picture and insinuate the band requires no work from them. I feel bad for those who post on here "I've had surgery why am I hungry at all I thought the band would fix that immediately?" Well it took me 6 months to get restriction. And the "Why can I eat ice cream and candy I though the band would stop that?" Did they think that on there own or did someone actually tell them that? The lack of education being done by providers is what bothers me.

Those who refuse to get fills because they want to eat badly and those who get to much of a fill so they can't eat at all (and then have complications from being to tight) do get tiresome.

B52 you continue to inspire me, sometimes I can't say that enough on our other group but it's yours and xavier's words that I listen to. I have no doubt this is going to work for me. You go B52!!!