Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Suggestions For Liquid Diet???

I got banded 3 days ago on the 21st. Two days before the surgery I was put on a liquid diet. It was horrible. I thought that once I got banded the hunger would go away if I just sipped some Water. The first 2 days I was in so much pain, it was kind of easy to ignore the hunger. But now I feel tired and have no energy and I AM STARVING. sad.png

ANY TIPS???

PS: Can you eat a spoonful of creamy Peanut Butter to help with the hunger after 3 days of surgery? Please help!

I wouldn't do Peanut Butter, but maybe try a cream based Soup. I remember eating a bowl of brocolli cheese soup during my 2 week postop diet. I didn't eat the big brocolli pieces but maybe a little fat will help.

Gosh my doctor orders are 2 wks liquids prior and 4wks after....no creme Soups on his plan!

I wouldnt advise eating creamy peanut butter...you havent been sick until youve got something stuck in lapband. The liquid diet isnt much fun but you will feel better after you are back on solids. For a complete liquid diet you can have beef, chicken or turkey broth...sugar free popcycles...in some cases they let you have the ones with sugar in them just ask your doctor, KO Protein Water. Thats what I lived on the first week...Then it was stuff like Cream of Chicken and Cream of Soup the second week, oatmeal, grits..make them thin...Evenually back to solids...its all worth it .... Just hang in there you can do it.

add liquid Proteins to your diet. - Isopure is a good choice. Water is just not enough. The above poster is right! the Protein will help you feel full. ARe you on full liquids or just Clear Liquids? If you're on full liquids, you can add the cream Soups. I remember going to Red Lobster and having the lobster bisque. I added Tomato soups and split pea soup-which is pretty high in Protein. I would stay away from the Peanut Butter too. I was eating yogurt on my full liquids phase also.

Good luck! It does get easier!

Congratulations. Not only am I a fellow 2/21/12 bander but I have also been put on the clear liquid diet. When I asked my doctor about the diet, he said that I have to follow their guidelines until the follow up visit (on 3/1/12). After that, i'll transition to soft foods.

Other than broth and juices, i've been told i could have sugar free Jello. The Jello and the broth's have been doing ok. When I have those intense hunger pains, i'll have some crystal light juice and that usually does the job.

I was a little apprehensive about the need to do this for up to 10 days post op (along with the 2 days pre op). Apparently there is a reason for this. But, I am just thinking about next thursday when the doctor tells me to switch up to soft foods. It's making the cottage cheese and greek yogurt that much more appetizing!

i also got banded on 2-21-12 and yes them 3 days after surgery being on Clear Liquids was hell. I was wicked weak and when i got to the 3rd day late afternoon i started my liquid diet which consist from my Dr was sugar-free pudding and jello's and popsicles, cottage cheese small curd, yogurt with no pieces, and the Protein i got was from Walmart in a HUGE jar a powder vanilla it has 24 grms of protein in one scoop or 52 grms in 2 scoops i only did one scoop and mixed with skim milk and a boost high protein tasted good and i could drink it most of it i also did the crm Soups but when my daughter went to wal mart to get the soups she came back with steak and potaotes real Soup ( i could of died cuz it looked soooooo good) i did take 1/2 cup and cooked it and blended it with a lil bit more of beef broth and it was FABOLUSE!!!! my Dr also has me on 100% fruit juice. also i am eating baby food the fruit taste pretty good to. Today i found out that the band was put in but actually not in use yet till 6 weeks later i get my 1st fill someone forget to let me know that bit of info cuz when i got my protein i was feeling better my chest didnt hurt as much the tighness in my diagram was down some. And i started this liquid diet and i was hunry after a couple of hours after i would eat something wondering why am i so hungry and i don't feel like nothing it getting stuck. Thinking "ok" this is goin good i am eating nothing hurting. HUMMMMM something is not cool this is too good to be true then i called my Aunt up who had it done 4 years ago and she told me u dont get a fill till 6 weeks down the line when u belly has had time to heal, mannnnnnn i thought it was to good to be true that the food was goin down good!! but i go this tues 2-28-12 to have the staples removed and will know more then then i go 4-3-12 for my 1st fill then it will be live and learn from there on what i can do or not to do. So skin-e-girl i wouldnt do Peanut Butter but hope my liquid diet helps u if u want i can typer the whole menu my Dr gave me.

I was told liquids for the first 2-3 days. Jello, crystal light, broths, juice, Water. Then the full liquid diet until 2 weeks post-op. V-8, thinned cream of wheat, milk, thinned oatmeal, strained soups...basically anthing that u could drink from a straw, but DON'T USE A STRAW. All docs ate different. I would say do what they say...lol. Good luck!

Yea, I am clear liquids only for week 1, and week 2 I can have full liquids, then week 3 is light, super soft mushies, then week 4 is heavier mushies... My dr seems to have a pretty stringent post op protocol , but I have seen some people on here that have post op diet of 2 weeks clear liquids.... That's rough!

I was on full liquids two weeks post and two weeks pre-op. My surgeon requires this to shrink the liver before surgery and to heal and adjust to the band after surgery.

oh well...well i was done feeling like crap, so i bought a cup of broccoli cheddar Soup and had half of it. i should've gotten the loaded baked potato in hindsight lol. i ate it at 7:30 and i washed it down with some cranberry juice and Water and have been satisfied for hours now. i didn't feel sick and i'm not in a lot of pain, just the usual discomfort here and there that i'm sort of getting used to. thanks for all the advice people.

oh, and check out my blog:

http://skin-e-girl.blogspot.com/

Protein first ! So always do your shakes.. Pick up some Flintstones Complete chewable Vitamins with CHOLINE ! These wont hurt threw your liquid stage, and it will help give you some Pep. I liked Soups Like Lipton cup of Soup Cream Of chicken. Then look in the organic area in your store <I go to Kroger for mine, and I buy Paciffica Liquid Soup in a tall Box. It's on a shelf and the flavors are great. Red Pepper Soup, Cream of Mushroom Soup, and Butternut Squash was very good ! I don't care for squash, but like I said to my surprise it was good. This soup is thick, so it will stick with you where you won't feel like your starving. This soup is pureed, so no pieces in the soup.

If you mix your shakes with Water heres a tip Cut the Water amount in 1/2 and put your flavored Protein in a covered dessert dish. shake it well, and put it in the freezer. This makes for a great pudding, and you still get all your protein.

If you need tips on good protein let me know, and I will give some names, and flavors of a good shake, and where to buy them reasonably.

Shirley.

Did your doctor tell you to be on clear liquids for 7 days? I know mine did. In addition to the stock he told me to have 3 Protein Shakes a day. Please return to your doctors orders. Most doctors does'nt want you eating mushies for several weeks. You stomach is recovering from being stitched around the band. It should not be moving to digest food!