Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just wondering how everyone came up with a goal weight...i have not been banded yet, but i am just thinkin about it and i have no idea how i will take to the band.. i don't want to set a goal for myself that i will never reach..any suggestions?

I say make small goals and then move down as you go along. Plus your surgeon can give his/her opinion too.

Cheri

Thanks Cheri..I see my surgeon next week so I will ask him about it..I am being banded two weeks from today...congrats on your weightloss..Good job!

I'm 60 years old. My goal weight is when I returned from Vietnam back in 1973. The dr. Suggested my weight when I was in H.S., 1970. If I go beyond my goal onto his, that will be OK with me.

thanks b52.. i have been overweight my whole life so unfortunatley my high school weight is not so low hehe it is a lot better than what i am now though

Hey i was banded jan 12th ive lost 41 lbs in 6 weeks and im very happy......youll be fine the 1st 2 weeks are the hardest ..but you wont even wanna eat......i was filled 1 time i go back for another march 26th its nothing trust me!!!!youll be soooo happy that you did..i struggled all my life too with weith,,when i started nutrition classes last may 1st i weighted 352 now im down to 293 so im doing great...any question feel free to write and good luck!!

Thank so much Corianna.. You are doing an awesome job!!! Keep up the great work! :)

For me to get to the normal bmi i have to lose almost 200 pounds!! I am scared because I just don't know if it is possible for me.. I want it to be and I am going to try my best, but that is A LOT of weight..

My goal weight is 174. I'm 5'10" and that will put me into the normal BMI range. I haven't been there since I was about 19....it will be extremely thrilling to get there! However, I would probably be quite happy under 200 lbs, 185-190. But 174 is where I really want to get to!

i have been banded since 10/2010, I set small goals along the journey. First was to be obese and not morbidly obese, next goal is to be classified as overweight not obese. Not that I am just slightly to the overweight side of the pendulum I would like to be at a healthy BMI of 25 as long as it is below 30. My BMI is currently 30.2. Best advice is like stated above set mini goals along the journey. Looking at a long term goal can be very overwhelming when starting out. Good Luck!

Hi Lisa, I haven't been banded yet either and I also have 200 pounds to lose to get to normal BMI. It is really daunting, but like Cheri said, you have to break it up into smaller goals. I realized that if I focused on the whole amount, I would get frustrated and might be tempted to give up. So I set a series of mini-goals and milestones, and have rewards planned out for each one I reach. It makes it feel more manageable, and the rewards give me something to look forward to.

You can do this! :)

Thanks so much to everyone for their help.. it seems like baby steps is the best way to go.. Caribear- what type of rewards do you give yourself? I see other people talking about rewards too and in the past food has always been my reward for everything..I know it cant be anymore..

At Five feet ten i set my goal right in the middle of the normal range at 154. I got to about 130 whilst i was sick, for about six months - it really was a bit too thin, what happens is your problem areas remain poblem areas but the rest of you gets skeletal, now Im sitting at 145 or so which is pretty good for me.