Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Replaced. Is this normal???

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this board. I am an old-hat at this band thing, or so I thought.

My banding was in 2001, (very early on in the life of the procedure in the US) with Dr Christine Ren at NYU Medical Center. I was 311lbs on the day of my surgery. I have a 4cc band, and now weigh 179 (-132).

I am looking for your help because I am concerned as to whether I may really have a problem, or if it is just that I am not used to restriction.

My band worked wonderfully for the first four years. My sweet spot was at 2.5cc's. At least, that is how tight I had to be to consistently lose weight.

On or about September of 2005, my doctor confirmed that my port was leaking. This comfirmation only came after three months of nonsense when the band was not working at all. My fills were not staying in, and I was gaining weight rapidly. I had the port replaced in November of 2005.

I immediately went to 2 cc's after the replacement, which was very tight. I had a difficult time with liquids, forget about food. I then got pregnant and unfilled completely, packing on about 20lbs. I lost the baby, and went back to be filled again. Again at 2cc's.

From January 4th (date of the fill after my miscarriage) to February 7th I lost 32lbs. I was barely eating. I was working at drinking, but I decided to get a small unfill. I am now at 1.75cc's.

Ok, that is the history, but here is my question. I am still having trouble eating foods all day. Most evenings, with great effort and patience, I can eat a reasonable amount of food without incident. Most of the time, though, I am running for the bathroom feeling that "its not going to go down" feeling, and bringing everything back up.

DO you all think that my first port was always a slow leaking one, and thats why I could be as tight as 2.5 with eating, and now that I have a new working port, even 1.75 is too tight?

ORRRR do you think that it is possible that I have something going on here other than normal restriction, like an esophogeal issue or something. ???

Its just that with my old port, at 1.75 I was totally eating unrestricted. :help: Thanks for suffering through my sob story. Would love to hear what you think. THANKS!

Michele

Welcome to the board. I am sorry that I have no educated answers for you, as I am unbanded, but wanted to let you know that I am happy you are here.

So sorry to hear about your loss, I have had two miscarriages and know they are very emotionally and physically painful. Have one perfect baby (7 yr old) now, so there is always another try. :eek:

My guess about your issue is probably a little of both. Your previous port was probably a slow leaking one, and now that you have a good one your esophogus is trying to adjust. If you have had proper follow up care (which I assume you have) your tests should show if it is something serious. You may need another unfill to find out for sure. Everyones "sweet spot" is different, and with a properly working port it may have changed for you.

So glad you are here. All of the "newbies" look to the "veterens" on this board for advice and experiences, so it is great to have your point of view.

Good luck with your issue, and again welcome to LBT!

Hi Michelle, I am also an old bandster. Sounds like you had problems before they found your leak. You might need some more Fluid taken out so you can eat healthy. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you are doing. Mona

Hi Michelle -

Regardless of what your old "sweet spot" used to be, you definitely sound too tight now.

If I were you, I would erase from my mind what used to work for you, and start new with what works for you today. And your current fill level is NOT working for you.

I wish I could explain why you need less fill now as opposed to then, but it would only be speculation, and probably isn't really that important (I know, enquiring minds want to know!).

Bottom line, is you're too tight...

Congrats on your new port!