Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Velveeta And/or Other Processed Cheese's Considered "soft" Cheeses?

My doctor says I can't have hard cheeses for my mushies stage, but i really really really want mac n cheese.

so my question is, processed cheese! Is it considered a "soft" cheese?

while it may be considered a soft cheese, it has no nutritional value, and Pasta should def be a food you stay away from at this point. you should check out unjury.com they have a Protein cheese sauce, and maybe you should have it on a baked potato, mashed up really good. we can't eat a lot, esp in mushy stage, so you really need to think about food as fuel for your body. hard, i know, but i will get easier!

while it may be considered a soft cheese, it has no nutritional value, and Pasta should def be a food you stay away from at this point. you should check out unjury.com they have a Protein cheese sauce, and maybe you should have it on a baked potato, mashed up really good. we can't eat a lot, esp in mushy stage, so you really need to think about food as fuel for your body. hard, i know, but i will get easier!

your right, no mac n cheese for me! but my doc office is pushing over cooked Pasta and sauce during the "mushies" stage

really? if i were you, i would get that idea of your mind! i have not had Pasta since surgery and i dont miss it at all! i have shed 19 lbs in 3 weeks. mushy stage is def welcome after liquids for a week. things i ate during mushy stage were: unsweetened applesauce, fat free refried Beans with plain greek yogurt (that was the most filling for me, tasted like eating a burrito, without the meat)...cottage cheese, sugar free pudding, mashed potatoes (sparingly). anything that wasnt a puree, i put in the blender. i was instructed to eat everything at baby food consistency. it sucked, but its over and im on to real food, but still healthy food!

yours seems more strict than my mushies stage.

Per doctors office:

FRUITS: Any canned sugar free fruit and ripe banana

VEGGIES: Any canned or over cooked and easily mashed veggies. Baked potato just not the skin.

PROTEIN: Soft eggs- pouched, wet scrambled, over easy. Soft cheeses, Canned fish, tuna, chicken-in Water or broth only. Vienna sausages and Protein drinks or shakes.

STARCHES: Over cooked Pasta (no spaghetti or angel hair) stay with larger pastas 1/4 cup max. Cereal-corn flakes, rice or corn chex, rice crispies, cheerios (1/2 cup plus milk)

No oatmeal, bread, carbonated beverages.

If you want some creamy cheese, try goat cheese or the laughing cow cheeses with mashed cauliflower or potatoes. It will give you that cheesy taste you're looking for.

wow, my mushy stage was def more strict! laughing cow cheese is amazing!

I would have to agree with the others, stay away from Pasta. I am 2 1/2 years post surgery and I still don't really eat Pasta. If I do, it is literally 1 or 2 noodles. It is empty calories (as is the processed cheeses) that are not going to give you the nutrition that you need at this stage of the game.

good luck!

I start mushies officially, tomorrow! And I swear, I will NEVER eat cream of chicken or Tomato Soup again, for the rest of my life! After 2 weeks on liquids....FORGET IT!

I start mushies officially, tomorrow! And I swear, I will NEVER eat cream of chicken or Tomato Soup again, for the rest of my life! After 2 weeks on liquids....FORGET IT!

sooooo true. not looking forward to my first fill for that reason--2 days liquid, 2 days mushies to follow! waaah!

i agree wholeheartdly with horswgirl

wendy

I am loving all kinds of soft cheese right now, just nooooo Pasta. I do fine with mozarella, brie, and all kinds of feta... like garlic herb feta and roasted red pepper feta. I can get my soft warm gooey cheesy fix by making an omelette with any of these or having warm brie or baby swiss. I think some warm ricotta with garlic sounds good too, but I haven't tried that yet!

I would love to chime in. I know Pasta is a slippery slope but I am also 100% sicilian and I refuse to have an object that doesn't allow me to partake once in awhile in the food I enjoy.

With that said, I was creative and decided to fake myself out on the Pasta front.

I have been making zucchini pasta. I even blogged about it here: http://saucybandster.blogspot.com/2012/02/fake-carbs-o-mighty.html

I get my green veggies in and add a sauce which is Protein. I put a turkey meatball in the food processor and added sauce to make it soft and put it on top of the pasta. There is also a lite ragu alfredo which is very low fat, has Protein and light on the carbs and that is divine in a small portion. So there is your Mac N cheese persay.

I also bought the shiritaki noodles and split the package into 4 servings versus 2 and added the meat and cheese sauce.

Voila, I have my Italian food with low carbs.

My doctor says stay totally away from Pasta, rice and bread, so that is the plan no matter how much I like them. I feel, for myself, thats what helped make me so fat and I don't ever plan to go back once I have the surgery. Velveeta is processed and I agree has to nutrional value. My doctor also said to stay away from processed foods. Good luck in reaching your goal.