Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Infamous Pre-Op Diet..

Ok I start my pre-op diet on Monday February 20th....and I am getting a little nervous!!! Is there any pointers you guys can give me on how to do this without starving??... I DO NOT want to cheat myself out of jumpstarting my metabolisim so I don't want to cheat on this AT ALL... OMG its really hitting me that this is about to happen.....

hello! i was just banded on the 15th so this is very recent to me..what kind of pre-op diet did your doc recommend? i also thought i would starve on this diet, but i didn't starve and i lost 10 lbs:) the first two days were the most challenging, but i began to realize that times when i thought i was hungry, i really wasn't. i started to pay attention to my physical hunger and found that most times it was psychological..old habits...drinking lots of Water and keeping busy also helped. know your triggers...the weekends were really hard and being at home was more difficult than being at work. good luck. you will do great and congrats on your journey:)

What are the orders from your particular doctor? Are you only allowed 3 shakes a day or can you have shakes and Jello or broth? If you are allowed multiple things eat one and then wait a hour. Even though you will stop eating when you are still hungry you will have the next meal to look forward to in an hour. Otherwise you will eat a meal still be hungry but have to wait another 5 hours to eat again.

All doctors seem to be different with the pre op diet. I was allowed two Protein Shake meals only using Water to make the shakes and then one meal of fish or chicken and veggie. I could have salad with the spray dressings. Any sugar free beverages. About the 4th day my body started adjusting to the hunger and it wasn't so bad. Lost 15lbs on the pre op.

I start my pre-op diet this Tuesday. I have to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch then a Lean Cuisine or Smart One for dinner or grilled chicken or fish with veggies. I can also have 2 cups total of any of the following--Gatorade, juice, diet soad, and/or sherbert. I was expecting worse, so I think I can handle this. Oh, I can also have two servings of fruit a day. EIther in my Protein shake or by iteself. I can do this!!

Ok so I am only allowed sugar free/ zero calorie drinks, one sugar free pudding, one sugar free Jello, one low carb yogurt like carbmaster from Kroger and Protein Shakes a day!! No chewable foods at all..... I know this is going to be challenging hoping I can fight through!!!

I'm starving!!! My pre op diet was supposed to be two Protein Shakes and one high Protein small meal for one week then 3 protein shakes a day and no food for the next week But after only being on it for 2 days the nurse called and asked how much weight I've lost and I said 5lbs which I thought was pretty good for two days of this diet. But then she told me to go completely to only 3 protein shakes a day and only Water to drink on valentines day. I've been walking 2 1/2miles everynight and not cheated on this diet at all but I've become sooo ravenous that I've begun dreaming about food. My surgerys not till Feb 24 and I've lost 12 of the 20lbs I'm supposed to lose but everyday I just feel weaker and weaker. I almost passed out in the shower this morning. I still have 6 more days of this to go and part of me is so tired I'd just like to lay in the bed till that day and sleep. You'd think since I've been doing this for 4 days I'd be used to this by now but as I sit here and type this my stomach feels like its eating itself and rumbling away. Sorry for venting on here but I'm beginning to feel very blue and down on myself. :-(

Samantha I hope things get better for you... I just pray that I can be strong starting on Monday....... bittersweet....

I am waiting on approval to receive a surgery date, so have not officially started my pre-op diet. My Dr. allows for a low fat diet without added Protein Shakes, but I did purchase premier nutrition high protein/low carb/low fat shakes from costco and have been having one for breakfast, one for lunch, and then a normal dinner. I personally have not felt too hungry and would probably contribute that to the amount of Protein in the shakes- with morning and lunch I am getting 60g protein. I am also drinking a minimum of 75oz of Water a day, which keeps my belly feeling fuller.

This is by far the hardest part of the whole process. If you can do it, you will find that after surgery, you can stick to just about anything.

Try to drink Protein shakes with as much Protein as possible. The instant breakfast drinks and many so-called "diet drinks", while much better tasting than some Protein Drinks, do not have enough protein to keep you full and keep your strength up. The more protein, the fuller, longer.

I , too , start my pre- op diet on February 20th.

My surgeon's orders are as follows:

4-5 shakes per day

32-64 ounces of Water per day( the more, the better!)

700-900 calories per day

I have worked out the plan so that sometimes I will mix the shake with water, and sometimes with fat free milk. I have one of those shaker bottles with the stainless steel whisk ball in it. They are great and really makes a frothy shake. Good for work.

I anticipate that I may be cranky. I have planned some reading, crocheting, bath tub time, sleeping, computer work, and cleaning.

Also am doing bulk cooking for family dinners so that I won't have to be in the kitchen when I can't eat!!!!!

newme2012 im on the exact same pre-op diet right now! i have one more week of it until surgery on monday feb 27th. ok yes it is hard as hell at first to just giving up the will to go to the fridge and get whatever you want, BUT as long as you keeptelling yourself its worth it and not to cheat you will be ok. sugar free popsicles sugar free jell-o help me alot to curb my cravings. dont overwhelm yourself with worrying about two long weeks without chewable food, focus on ONE day at a time. idk if your doc gave an ok for carnation instant breakfast shakes but the chocolate ones are soooo good! i have lost 10lbs just this first week if i can do it so can you! at the end of this journey you will be so proud of yourself you CAN do this! xoxo

As stated, most weight loss shakes are full of crap- high sugar, high carb, higher fat, and little Protein (9 or 10g). I think it's really important to find a drink that is high in protein because it helps you stay fuller, longer. I do feel bad for those that are required to drink a specific brands (like Optifast) because usually the protein is pretty low.

I was allowed 4 shakes a day, raw veg, a half cup of non-fat yogurt& lots of non calorie beverages. The shakes really keep you full, and the drinks keep your mouth busy.