Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Tell People When They Compliment You?

I'm the kind of person if someone tells me Oh, you look like you lost weight, I will say Oh, it must be my outfit or if they say your hair looks great, I will say Oh, I need it cut. I like your outfit then I'd say This old thing...

I can see each time someone tells me how you look good, I'm going to say I got lapband.. I don't know if I should just lie and say thanks or if they ask how did I lose it etc.. FTR, I won't be banded until March 8th but I think about everything.. Hence all my post lately! ;)

Anyone who asks knows about my band.

My thing is: if they compliment me, I say thanks. I don't elaborate or offer any other conversation about it.

If they actually ask me what I am doing to lose weight, I simply tell them I am eating less, moving more, and I have a lap band to help me along the way.

So far so good, no negative reactions. Even a co-worker has started the work to get one just from watching me in action. If it cures her diabetes, it was well worth my honesty.

It is strictly a personal choice, and how thick your skin is. :)

It depends on my mood. Sometimes when complimented I just say, "thank you!" Usually if asked how I lost, I answer honestly. With a few people that I don't care to be in my business, I'd just say I am eating better.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with telling people you are banded.

I have no issue letting the world know if it works for me that's all I care about i just did't know if its something you mention to everyone who asked how are you doing it, or do you just let it fly.. I guess like you it would depend on mood. If I feel like talking I will meniton it if not just smile and try to say thanks and walk away! ;)

when people ask how i'm losing, i tell them Portion Control and i work out 4-5 times a week. which is true. i just dont choose to disclose my band. now some ppl do know, but i try to not tell everyone, cuz it's personal

The band is only a tool! It doesn't choose the right low calorie foods for you, it doesn't take you to the gym and burn the calories for you! If you work the band and lose the weight, give yourself some credit! You may have already chosen to get the band but youre going to have to choose to do the things it takes to drop pounds too - and follow thru with them - so dont sell yourself short when youre successful. Telling people you have the band is a personal choice, especially considering the number of misconceptions, but don't brush off compliments like it wasn't your decisions & actions that got you looking fabulous!

I just thank people, when they say something nice about me. I haven't told anyone about the band, other than my husband and doctors, because I consider this very personal information. If someone approached me, who was severely overweight and wanted to do something about it, I might share this information, but it would depend on the person. I also might feel differently as I get closer to my goal weight, so I might have to respond again to you later, in about 8 months or so.

Just remember, that if you tell one person you don't know REALLY well, you've most likely told the entire world. I told one person at work (I don't try to keep it secret), and the next thing I know I get an email from my counterpart 100 miles away telling me she has a band! He had traveled up there and got to talking with her about her weight loss.

Then, bada boom, bada bing! Band buddies.

I also have only told very very few people, only my sister, husband and a handful of friends. I do not want every to know, one because one woman I know had another form of weight loss surgery and is a bit of a know it all. I really do not want other people's opinions on lap band, especially if they haven't gone through it. To date I've lost 27 pounds (since 12/30/11) and if approached, will just say I'm watching what I'm eating.

I didn't tell many people before I had it as i didn't want their advice or opinions. After i got my band I felt like shouting it off the roof tops. I think almost everyone knows except funnily enough my personal trainer. I started seeing him about a year ago and I didn't tell him at the beginning and now I feel weird that I haven't told him. It is not like it is a big secret but I just feel funny that i didn't bring it up in the beginning. it has no impact on what we do so i probably won't tell him ever.Every single person i have told has been so supportive. It is definitely a personal choice as some people that don't understand and will judge us.

i told my family because i knew they would be very supportive, and they were! i mentioned it to my supervisor as i would be taking a week off. ALL my co workers were also very supportive , a few asked questions about the band, (normal curiousity ) and ive had nothing but support and compliments from them. Ive only been banded since mid december, down 17 lbs and feeling good( and looking better) about MY decision to get MY body healthy and strong. im guessing that if i ever do get a negative comment it will be because that person has'nt done their homework and assumes im taking the "easy way out." Well, i DID do my homework and im happy with my choice. good luck to you and keep your head held high, you are making a healthier choice for yourself !

I haven't been banded yet and can still hear how people talk about weight loss as if it is some sort of copout. They truly are uneducated about the procedure and are quick to say how people who choose weight loss surgery are lazy and don't want to 'work' hard at losing weight. I refuse to bunt heads with these types of people and if anyone ever addresses my weight loss in the future I will just smile and say.. why thank you, I have just cut back...heeeheeeeeee

I'm more stressing about my neighbors. There are a handful of them I'm pretty close with. We go away as couples, watch each others kids , parties , etc.. I just would feel horrible if I never told them and they found out later on BUT the thing with a development you tell one neighbor they all now!

So i'm going to wait until I see the three I'm closest with and tell them together otherwise there will be texts going all over about it I'm sure. Most of them had there breasts done to make them look and feel better and I'm just doing the same but with my body and more work! wink.png I know they won't judge me and be very supportive but I know when one knows they all will know.. I can just hear the talks now at the bus stop! lol Whatever!! lol

I think once I lose some I will feel better about it all!

i decided to be very open about it at work as I have quite a few close friends that I have worked with there for quite a few years.

Of course, I have had some negative comments but I take it as an opportunity to educate people.

Most everyone has been supportive and I have nothing to be embarrassed about by doing something proactive for my own health and well being.

I have some good comebacks for the negative ones too lol.

For me personally, I know I didn't do this without the band. The band did it along with me.

I remember the years I tried to lose weight and didn't succeed, or couldn't keep it off, so I personally don't want to perpetuate the idea that if you just eat less and move more, you're going to have the success I've had. As if heavy people are just lazy gluttons, which is something that most of society so strongly believes already. I know it's not true. I ate like a 3yo to lose the weight and eat much less than most people now to maintain the loss. I couldn't have done that without the band all these years. So I'm not going to pretend I did it on my own, because I would hate that someone else who might have sought the help I did, doesn't do it because I led them to believe that I didn't need help.

But that's my own PERSONAL decision, and I understand too that for a lot of people, their own privacy is paramount. I get that too, so I'm not for one minute saying others should talk about their bands to all and sundry. Those are just the reasons why I talk about mine.