Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have any advice on changing surgeons for their maintenance?

My doctor's staff is terrible. First, they approved me for the wrong procedure (full bypass instead of the band). Then, when they resubmitted the paperwork for the correct procedure, they forgot to include my mental health evaluation, so it was denied. My surgery was supposed to be Jan 4, but they couldn't get it approved, so it was delayed until Jan 10, literally the day after the insurance approved it. The doctor didn't know anything about the staff's mix-up until the evening before my surgery was supposed to take place. He was apologetic and said the office manager would be overseeing the case now.

When I went in for my follow-up visit, I "thought" that I had scheduled my fill for this past Friday. The staff had told me that it was too late that day (also a Friday after 4pm) to call radiology to schedule it, but that she would call the following Monday and get the appointment for Feb. 10. I called a few days before just to make sure that it was done and to check on a medication. They never scheduled the appointment!!! They did manage to get me in on the Friday anyway. But when I brought it up with the doctor, he tried to feed me a line about how all doctor's offices are like this. He spoke more about his reputation being negatively impacted than my issue with not trusting one single thing that came out of his staff's mouths.

I got my fill, so I should be set for at least a few months, but this guy has made me feel like I am not important, that his reputation is more important than my care and that I am being unrealistic in my expectations for the quality of service the office provides.

Help! banghead.gif

I will eventually be switching doctors for maintenance because the doctor that I had the surgery with is in Florida but I live in Maryland. I finally found a doctor's office that I think might be a good fit because it's the only practice I have found where the doctor does plications and I have the band with plication so I want to be with a doctor who at least has an idea of what I have.

When I called the practice to see what I needed in order to switch over, they said that all they needed were my surgery notes from the original office and that they would review them and let me know if they could take me on and that I didn't need to pay any program fees. I don't think that there should be a problem with switching

Does anyone have any advice on changing surgeons for their maintenance?

My doctor's staff is terrible. First, they approved me for the wrong procedure (full bypass instead of the band). Then, when they resubmitted the paperwork for the correct procedure, they forgot to include my mental health evaluation, so it was denied. My surgery was supposed to be Jan 4, but they couldn't get it approved, so it was delayed until Jan 10, literally the day after the insurance approved it. The doctor didn't know anything about the staff's mix-up until the evening before my surgery was supposed to take place. He was apologetic and said the office manager would be overseeing the case now.

When I went in for my follow-up visit, I "thought" that I had scheduled my fill for this past Friday. The staff had told me that it was too late that day (also a Friday after 4pm) to call radiology to schedule it, but that she would call the following Monday and get the appointment for Feb. 10. I called a few days before just to make sure that it was done and to check on a medication. They never scheduled the appointment!!! They did manage to get me in on the Friday anyway. But when I brought it up with the doctor, he tried to feed me a line about how all doctor's offices are like this. He spoke more about his reputation being negatively impacted than my issue with not trusting one single thing that came out of his staff's mouths.

I got my fill, so I should be set for at least a few months, but this guy has made me feel like I am not important, that his reputation is more important than my care and that I am being unrealistic in my expectations for the quality of service the office provides.

Help! banghead.gif

Been there ! Get a copy of all your Records, and Post Op Notes. When you get them get on the phone, and start calling up Dr.'s Offices. Tell them you moved or relocated, but don't tell them that you have had a problem They don't want someone else's Garbage ! So you can et off to a good start with a Dr. that has good follow up care. Good Luck !! It might take some time, but time is what you have. I waited 2 years ! and it's well worth it.

Contact me if you need to, Shirley.

BTW Make copy's of everything that you send, or Fax your info., but keep all your original paperwork that they send you threw Records.

I am having the same type of situation. My doctor has such a great reputation in my town that I went to him on a few recommendations. The surgery went extremely well but now the support and followup has been non-existent. I even paid to be a "concierge" patient that includes free fills. This doctor is not that close to me and I feel very let down. What should I do?

I don't know how bad you both feel about each other, but,,, if its really bad then you might have to chalk up the loss just to get a better Dr. for follow up care.

On the other hand, if you can stomach him for as long as you are entitled to him, and his work is so, and so. Then I would tolerate him, and get my papers so I could start looking for a new Dr...

Hope this helps.

Shirley

I talked to the director at the weight loss clinic and she contacted the other doctors that work with the clinic. One of them is willing to take me on and next fill I need, I will go to her. The director is even taking care of getting my records transferred. I love the weight loss clinic!