Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Swlc But Not Eligible For Vancouver

Hi there,

I am from the lower mainland here in BC. I just turned 40 in November and I am 5'4" tall and my weight currently fluctuates between 195 and 198. This is the highest I have ever been and I am scared too death that I will get bigger if I don't do something. Getting this surgery is my last resort.

I am considering getting the Lap Band Surgery and was excited to see that there are options in Vancouver with the SWLC group and had my consultation with Dr Coburn over the phone today. He was very nice and patient with my questions. He did say that due to the regulations of the College of Physicans in BC, they will not consider someone with less then a BMI of 35 in their Vancouver clinic. I am at 33 BMI currently.

I laughed because I thought it was funny that they wanted me to be 'more fat'. He agreed and said that it doesn't make sense but did say that I can always go to their clinic in Ontario and the Vancouver clinic can do my after care.

Has anyone had any experiences with the SWLC Ontario clinic or any problems with doing their surgery elsewhere and their after-care in another province?

Also has anyone used the financing option by the clinics? Is it easy?

I have tried WW, Jenny Craig, numerous of other fad diets and the last one I tried was Dr Bernstein. Although I lost weight on Dr B very fast, I gained it right back even faster. I can kick myself for all the money I spent on Dr B and wished I just used the money towards the Lap Band Surgery.

Thank you in advance for any comments, advice and input that can help me with my decision and journey.

I am having my surgery in Vancouver with SWLC in April, but with Dr. Mitchell, so I can have my aftercare at home with him as well.

I had my surgery done at the SWLC clinic last October by Dr. Mitchell. I've got to say, it was a very good experience. I assume you can have this done in Vancouver, if you are willing to pay for the procedure,. If you are going throught government healthcare, then you will likely be restricted by the regulations in place in that province. I paid for the surgery ($17,000.00 CAN), but it was worth every penny. So, you may have to decide if it is worth it to pay for the procedure or go to another province for the surgery. PS...Dr. Mitchell is great.

That is good to hear Lorena. He seemed very caring when I had my consultation. He answered every one of my questions, and he said that I actually asked him more questions than anyone else, but he happily answered all of them for me, without rushing me at all.

Thank you for your replies. I was wondering you can pass along the phone number to the office in Vancouver? Maybe if I call them directly they might consider letting me come in. My husband and I would rather do it in Vancouver so he can be there for you afterwards.

I only have the phone number for the main office in Ontario. Sorry.

I might get flamed for this, but I don't think the lap band is really for the regular overweight, but for the morbidly obese, such as me.

Really? Why do you think that? I'm genuinely curious because if I'm looking to spend $17K, I want to make sure that it will work. Do you think for someone like me who is considered obese (according to the chart) but a bit under 35 BMI will not work effectively? My problem is not being able to control my eating and portions. I can't seem to stop gaining weight back after I lose some.

I just don't know what to do any more and what other alternatives there are. I am trying to do more cardio but is not consistent.

I'm not saying that it won't work, it probably will. My point is more that this is a serious, life-altering surgery, and I wouldn't even be considering it, if I was your weight. In fact, if I get to your weight, I would be super happy.

I am fighting for my life, and I fear that I am going to die way too young (just like my Mom). I just feel like getting weight loss surgery at under a BMI of 40, is like blowing out a candle with a fire hose.

Have you considered the gastric balloon? It is way less invasive, and it gets removed after 6 months. SWLC also does them in Ontario.

I'm not saying that it won't work, it probably will. My point is more that this is a serious, life-altering surgery, and I wouldn't even be considering it, if I was your weight. In fact, if I get to your weight, I would be super happy.

I am fighting for my life, and I fear that I am going to die way too young (just like my Mom). I just feel like getting weight loss surgery at under a BMI of 40, is like blowing out a candle with a fire hose.

Have you considered the gastric balloon? It is way less invasive, and it gets removed after 6 months. SWLC also does them in Ontario.

I can understand what you are saying. I am also fighting for my life and lately I've had symptoms that scare me and I wonder if I'm having a heart attack. I've been overweight for a long time and every year, it gets worse. I think everyone's struggle is the same but different. Whether you are 75+ lbs overweight or 100+, I believe we all have the same pain, lack of self confidence and fear of ill health. My husband, who has the metabolism of a rabbit thinks its as easy as going for a walk and putting less food in my mouth. Always sounds simple from someone that has not had to struggle with weight.

It's depressing, isn't it? I am happy that your surgery has worked out well for you. I hope you reach your goal and stay the course.

I haven't had the surgery yet, I am booked for April.

I haven't had the surgery yet, I am booked for April.

Oops sorry, I got you mixed up with Lorena. That's great that you have a surgery booked. Please post your experience, I would love to know how it goes for you.

I spoke to Dr Coburn about the balloon and he said that if Portion Control is my problem the balloon will work for short term but I will gain it all back because the same problem will come back in that I will feel hungry. I know that I need something that will help me permanently. He did say that BC College of Physicians might look at lowering the BMI rate.

I really hope they don't do that. Have you had counselling, to find out why you have a problem with food?

Did he say that they would be able to do the surgery in Ontario? I would just call the line again, and ask those questions, if you are really determined. Or just gain like 15 pounds, and reapply.

Sorry, I haven't replied to you. I only have the numbers for the SWLC in Ontario, but you can call Dr. Mitchells office in Calgary (Dr. Philip Mitchell) if you would like to talk directly. If your BMI is around 35, you are considered obese (anything over 30 hits that criteria), so I would think you are a candidate for surgery...but, again, provincial guidelines rule, unless you pay for surgery yourself. You sound pretty motivated about this surgery and that is half the battle. So give Dr. Mitchell a call and see if he will see you in Vancouver (he is out there a few times a month to do surgery). Let me know how it goes and good luck!