Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Reaction To Bad News

I've been away in the bush for the weekend without phone or internet access. DH and I stopped for lunch on our way home and he was checking Facebook on his phone where we learnt that my cousin had died very suddenly and unexpectedly.

I had been out of contact for a couple of days and no one had any way to contact me so I wasn't upset that the news had come out on Facebook before I heard directly. Found out later my Mum had tried to phone and email me repeatedly.

But....I had already finished my lunch, eaten slowly with very small bites and lots of chewing. No problems. But as soon as I realised my cousin had died, I had to rush to toilet to vomit because my band suddenly tightened.

Has anyone else had this reaction?

It is shock. When there is insufficient blood volume or blood pressure to supply the whole body the blood is diverted to the most important organs.Your stomach isn't very important as compared to the others so it is generally one of the first things to be affected.

I am surprised you didn't faint(or at least feel faint) as well.

Sorry for your bad news.

Thanks Elcee.

it was definitely a major shock. I'm still trying to process it, especially as we don't know why he died.

First of all Sorry for Your Loss...

I don't know the Medical stragatie the way Elcee does. "NICE JOB Elcee."

I can only comment on what I know.

Stress, Preasurer, and even the Weather "Depends on the person" will cause this band, to tighten up.

My condolences on your loss. *hug*

Sorry about your cousin. Yes, I find if I become really upset, I can't eat. My band just tightens right up. As you relax a bit, it should loosen up. Take care.

Sorry to read the bad news on your cousin. I am not banded yet, but I can tell you that the stomach is first place I feel anything when I am shocked, upset, etc.... so it makes sense to me, that you felt it there. It's so good to read these posts to get lots of info since I'm getting banded on Feb 29. I try to get heads up on all that I possibly can, although, I realize that each person can be affected differently.

Not to bad news but when I get emotional or sad and I cry....oh Yes my band tightens so bad I feel like I can hardly breath