Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day Of Surgery And Misery

Had my band put in on 1/30/12 at 3:30 PM. All seemed to go well until the following morning when they brought me to xray and drink the Fluid to make sure I had no leaks. The technician said I had a problem; The liquid was entering my stomach but not leaving it and that there also appeared to be something pushing up on my stomach. He sent me back to my room saying that they would have me take addtl xrays in an hour. OK, so now I am freaking out a bit and no one at all would talk to me about the problem. After 3 hours passed, I called the nurse in again and basically said that I was being treated unfairly. I am in recovery and do not need this addtl stress. I said if a doctor does not see me in 30 minutes I am leaving this hospital and will go straight to another hospitals emergency room. She said I could not do that and blah blah blah. Within 15 miutes a portable xray machine was sent to my room and 30 minutes later my doctors asst came in the room and said that all was ok, and that thexray technician should not have said anything to me and that I was being served my first meal in a few moments. I was later released that evening.

I am now home with absolutely no pain nor nausea. I am getting tired of this liquid only diet though. I am on its 6th day now and I sort of cheated a bit. I opened a can of chicken Soup with noodles and just made sure I mushed the few noodles very well in my mouth. I am not getting cocky, just needed my teeth to sink ino something. I am feeling fine after that little indescretion.

Amazingly I entered the hospital at 271 lbs and exited at 278. I figure Water weight was probably the culprit. Today I am 265 lbs. I have my first follow up visit on the 8th of February with my surgeon.

I was supposed to goto a Super bowl party but decided against it. Too much temptation. I will go it alone.

Go Giants

Just pro1ves that you have to be your own advocate in the hospital and make sure you get what you need. You did well to push them. Hope every day you feel better.

Go Pats!

That all sounds very odd.

You don't normally get leaks with a band that is something that you would expect from sleeve surgery.

The band is generally tested before they put it in as they do not want to have do a second surgery to take out because of something that could easily have been checked beforehand.

I am also very confused as you say that there was a problem with how/where the liquid was entering your stomach but you haven't said how they rectified it.

Yes the liquid diet is horrible and really hard but remember there is light at the end of the tunnel. You can do this.

Sounds to me like the technician completely misread the x-ray. He should be disciplined for telling you the results, which were completely wrong, and causing you such anxiety.

That all sounds very odd.

You don't normally get leaks with a band that is something that you would expect from sleeve surgery.

The band is generally tested before they put it in as they do not want to have do a second surgery to take out because of something that could easily have been checked beforehand.

I am also very confused as you say that there was a problem with how/where the liquid was entering your stomach but you haven't said how they rectified it.

Yes the liquid diet is horrible and really hard but remember there is light at the end of the tunnel. You can do this.

I asked the tech, why would there be leaks and he said 'ya never know when something can get poked'. That part make sense to me. What was nerve wracking was that no one would explain anything to me or see me. They did nothing to rectify 'it'. The second xray said all was fine. Nothing should have been said to me, the tech may have been a newbie for all I know.

Hi Newbie...I too am a newbie and had my lap band surgery on 1/26/12. I also cheated a bit with chicken noodle Soup but I used a emersion hand blender which made it very thick and satisfying. I feel like today, which is my Phase II and full liquid stage, like I am STARVING and want to eat something filling besides liquid. Any suggestions?

I had a really scrambled egg about 6 days after the band was in place. No issues getting it down. My surgeons assistant did yell at me for trying so but I had no issues. I was just tired of having diarrhea for days.