Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Hi Misty49738...If I'm not mistaken your from Grayling with that zip code...Welcome!

I'm in Kalkaska. Dr. Featherstone performed my surgery in March. I really like their office staff and they took care of all my insurance billing and testing procedures without any real problems.

Have you been to the Seminar? They have one once a month (my DH called it a sales pitch!)

Not many Grand Traverse Surgery patients are on this forum regularly....Perhaps just me!

I'm pretty happy with my Lap band. I've went from a BMI of 40.6 to a 33.1 The changes in my eating habits have been the hardest thing to overcome.

Anyway, enough about me. Let me know how it's going with your LB journey. I'd be happy to answer any question.

Hi Mary,

You're right..I'm from Grayling. I've sent in my paperwork to Grand Traverse surgery. My doctor was supposed to dictate a letter a couple weeks ago but I havn't heard from her. I'm not sure what the next steps are or what kind of tests they will require me to do but I'm ready to get it started.

How has your journey gone? I'm scared to put a foreign object in my body one minute and extremely confident this is the tool for me the next.

Nice to hear from you and to know someone else out there has had experiences with the surgery department I'm looking at. We thought the seminar looked like a commercial too!

Take care,

Misty

Not too many of us Yoopers here, but that's probably because there just aren't that many Yoopers, period... But there are plenty of Yoopers who could probably benefit from the Lapband procedure. Those loooong winters tend to make a person want to do nothing but eat and sleep for 6 months out of the year... Anyway, if you're from the Upper Peninsula, give a shout-out!:clap2:

julialois: Hi my name is Shirley and I too am from Michigan. I got tired of getting screwed around from the crew at Harper Hospital, so... I went to <p>Henry Fords in Detroit. It was fantastic!!! I had Dr. Jeffrey Genaw as my surgeon ;he is chief of surgery;. Henry Fords is a center of excellence hospital. So if you have h.a.p. ins. it's covered in full, because they understand that if they nip this in the begining stages, they won't have to pay for blood pressure meds., or diabetic hospital stays. In my case they pd. for a right, and left knee. &quot;just done in May&quot;. So as far as running you around like most insurances do. NOPE!!! If you get approved from this surgeon, and have h.a.p. your good to go. If you have to go through the ins. pain, well,,, he's worth it. If you can't youse this pass it on.... Shirley......48082 and 48656

hi iam a fellow yooper i live just over the mackinac bridge. i just received a phone call to se up my first consult. a little nervous about everything but tgis well be the best thing i will do for myself

hi iam a fellow yooper i live just over the mackinac bridge. i just received a phone call to se up my first consult. a little nervous about everything but tgis well be the best thing i will do for myself

Ya Yoopers! Where are you going for your surgery and followup treatment?

hi yooper iam going to traverse city with dr featherstone. i just made my first consult appt on aug 28 will see dr and nutrionist the same day.:clap2::)

Hi Susieq125,

I'm going through the T.C. surgery center too. I've sent in my paperwork a couple weeks ago but havn't heard anything back from them yet. How long did it take you to get things rolling?? Are you ok'd through your insurance or are you self pay? I attended the June seminar and thought they seemed like a nice staff to work with.

Misty

Here's my LB timeline:

I saw my PCP in November 2006 and spoke to him then about the LB. The following week I attended the seminar at Munson. Saw Dr. Featherstone in December for 1st visit along with nutritionist.

I was ordered to have a pulmonary (breathing) test, complete blood work. Saw the psycharist in January. Back to primary Dr. in February for an EKG, found a heart murmer so off for a full blown stress test. Had surgery in March.

I don't think things normally take this long. Dr. Featherstone said he wouldn't do the surgery until I was "smoke free" for 2-3 months before surgery and I wanted to make sure that happened.

Good luck to all of you future bandsters!

hi misty

i attened the seminar on june 25th, my pcp sent referral letter on july 2nd, i do have a in with her we work together,so she as right on it. received phone call from gts on the 7th,my consult with dr featherson nutrionist and physch all on one day aug 28th.they will not make consult until they receive letter from pcp.they all seem like nice staff when you talk to them.keep on your pcp about your letter. i have bcbs and they will pay for everything but of course i will have deduct and copays.

good luck:whoo:

Hi

I noticed you mentioned 12mths consecutive weight loss history for BCBS Michigan. I also have that ins.& am in my 6mth of the weight loss history. I have a BMI of 38.5 and I am wondering what my chances are of getting insurance to cover it. I am thinking I may end up self-paying. How did it work out for you? I want the lapband now of course but I am willing to go 12mths to see if insurance will cover it but at the same time I don't want to waste any more time if it's not likely.

I went through 12 months of Diary for my surgeon. My surgeon put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet for 1 year. I lost over 100 lbs. before surgery. He did my surgery on 10-31-06. I am still on a 1200 calorie a day diet "that's what they want", I only have 1 1/2 cc's in a 4cc band,

and am still loseing weight. It's well worth the waite. Just keep proof

of every time you go a Dr. that weighs you "that's the key" Blood work,

Shrink, any one that weighs you. I was told to get a print out for every visit. I did just that, and gave it all to the nurse that handles the ins..

The rest is her job. Hope this info helps..

Good Morning everyone.... I was finally banded on Monday. Doing pretty good, in some pain but it is manageable. I haven't had too much gas pain in the shoulder but I know that still may come.

I know that I am coming into this thread late, but I have BCBS of MI and I didn't have to have a 12 month record of dieting with my PCP. From the time I actually saw the surgeon until my surgery date it was approx. 7 weeks.

Good luck to everyone out there getting ready to have it done.

Karen