Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Week One Weight Loss - Is This Normal? And Other Questions

I was banded 12 days ago. In the first week I lost 7kg (15 lbs). Is this normal, it seems a lot to me - not that I am complaining!??? The surgeon gave me no Fluid in my band as he said he thought my band appeared quite tight without it. Why would this be? Also after 3 days I began to eat pureed food, and now I am on solids, chicken, fish etc. One piece of fish for Breakfast will do me until tea time. Is it OK to zoom through the eating steps like I have. I have not vomited once, nor have I been close.

Hey I am just like you! I just posted I am on my third week and i am eating solids even though i should be on pureed/mushee foods. When you overeat/ or if you don't do you get heartburn?

It depends on how heavy you are and how much you have to lose. If you are 60lb overweight then no it would not be normal. If you are 160 or 260lb overweight then it is probably not unheard of. A lot of that weight could be Water as well. You may find that your weight loss slows down or even stops for a couple of weeks whilst your body catches up. If it does don't panic.

No it is not OK to zoom through the steps the way you have unless you have been given the go ahead by your Dr.. I have just explained in another thread the reason why following your Dr's instructions postop are so important.

I don't understand why people go through this process, trust the Dr with their lives and then as soon as they are out of surgery decide that it is OK to ignore what he/she has told them.Doing what we wanted prior to surgery is what made us obese in the first place. If we carry on thinking we know better and doing what we want then we are likely to stay obese.

So hard is it may be i think you need to ensure that you are doing what you have been told you should do. Nobody said it would be easy, it's not, but we have all been there and got through it so I am sure you can too. It is such a short length of time in the big scheme of things and as soon as you start getting fills it will get easier.

I was banded on Thurs. 1/19/2012 and I have lost 10lbs already. I was also hoping that this was normal. I still have a lot of gas. Si it is hard to eat, I feel really full. I am not sure if my band is tight or the gas is the problem. Way to go on the weight loss!

It's totally normal to lose big the first few weeks after surgery. Don't get too excited, tho. Once you go back on solid food the weight loss will slow down dramatically. I lost 15 in my 2 weeks of pre-op and then another 24 the first month. After that I averaged about 6 or 8 pounds a month for the first year.