Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing Up... What Is Normal?

I had my band put in on friday the 20th so I'm going on day 4. I have had a lot of trouble keeping even Clear Liquids down. Ive thrown up several times and Its very painful every time on my incisions. I try to hold something soft against them If that helps. I'm just worried about the constant nausea. I have gotten rid of a lot of gas from the gas bubble and I don't know if maybe this is Just my stomach complaining about having something new implanted or what... Cause I have officially held down very little nourishment since surgery.... Is this healthy? What can I do to get rid of constant nausea and vomiting? I'm miserable over here and need all the tips and tricks I can get....

Did your surgeon give you anti nausea meds? I would be calling and requesting some asap.

It could be a reaction from the anaesthetic.

Call your Dr and see if he/she can prescribe you an antiemetic.

At this stage food is not as important as liquids. You need to keep down sufficient so that you don't dehydrate.Sticking to clear liquids and Water may be the best option for now.

The other possibility is that the Protein Shakes are causing the nausea. I found mine went when I was cleared to start eating Soups. I think my body was craving some real food instead of all that horrible sweet artificial stuff.

Hope you feel better soon.

Do you have the anti-emetic suppositories (if so, you can insert them vaginally instead of through the other end and it isn't nearly as unpleasant)? If not, get them from the doc. Pain meds can cause severe nausea. Also, sip on warm liquids. Literally sip slowly. If you take in tiny tiny sips and wait a couple of minutes between sips, it may help. The most important thing is to get the vomiting stopped. It is going to make your stomach swell even more. It becomes a vicious cycle after that. I can tell you that I had no vomiting and was back at work 4 days after surgery with no pain meds, no nausea, etc... So, for me, what you are describing does not sound normal at all.

Call your doctor to ask if they put any fill in the band. Most of the time when someone is having your problems it is because there is fill in the band. Once it is taking out they are fine. You MUST be able to drink clear fluids or you will dehydrate.

I had a hard time when I first got my band 1/20/11. I couldn't eat or drink anything because it was painful. I did throw-up a few times. I called the doctor and went in on a saturday to get checked. The bands are suppose to be empty but mine had 4 cc and the swelling made it impossible to eat. I would get it checked it sounds like it has to much Fluid. Good luck!

Call your doctor to ask if they put any fill in the band. Most of the time when someone is having your problems it is because there is fill in the band. Once it is taking out they are fine. You

MUST be able to drink clear fluids or you will dehydrate.

This. Call your doc! You don't want to end up in the ER because you're dehydrated.

Throwing up is NOT normal and you should not be doing it. It could make your band slip and ruin the whole thing. I was banded 3 months ago and haven't thrown up once (maybe i'm just lucky?) had some anti nausea meds from my doc, the kind you just put under your tongue, also I purchased some anti nausea liquid from Wal Mart, it tastes a little like liquid Jello and works great! Definitely call your doctor and have him give you some anti nausea meds though...and I don't know who wrote the post up there about suppositories, but that's just disgusting. Why would you put yourself though more uncomfortable and/or embarassing situations? Just get some anti nausea pills and you will be fine. Also, try warm chicken broth with a little cumin and lime, cumin really helps soothe the tummy.

The gas can cause nausea as well, so get yourself some gas meds, Maalox worked best for me, it's great for gas, reflux, and nausea. Keep it in the fridge and it tastes a little less icky.

sorry this is such a long post, but this is really important. Make sure you get what you need from your doc. I was on pain meds for about a week, anti nausea for as long as I needed ( I quit at about 2 weeks, I think) and anti reflux for three full weeks. Make sure your doctor is doing his/her job!

Also, do not do sugar free anything. It makes nausea worse. I was on Clear Liquids for one week (no Protein Shakes, just broths and watered down juices) and then creamy liquids for two weeks. No chewing for three full weeks. I made a lot of homemade broth (mostly chicken) with garlic, basil, cumin, ginger, lime, etc, whatever I was in the mood for. Cumin, ginger, and garlic really help with nausea as well. I also ate tons of popsicles, I loved the jolly rancher ones.

Some other Soups I did, which made me feel like I was getting a little Protein, was bean with bacon (just the broth) and split pea, I watered them down and ate just the broth.

Good luck! I hope you feel better! I'm down 45 lbs since surgery 3 months ago, haven't had a fill yet, and have never worried about sugar free anything..the chemicals will just make you sick. Also make sure you are taking a good Vitamin with Biotin in it to prevent hair loss. I take an apple cinnamon flavored one from Vitamin World, it has a ton of veggie and fruit extracts in it, then I also take an extra Vitamin C and Calcium every day. Stay healthy and take care of yourself!

wow that was a lot of infomation i for one thank you

and I don't know who wrote the post up there about suppositories, but that's just disgusting.

???????

Why?

It is a well known fact that if you can't keep your meds down they won't work so the other alternative is a suppository. I have had voltaren suppositories previously postop and also had to give my kids meds this way when they were little and couldn't keep anything down.

I guess in that case, if you are dehydrating and can't even keep Water down, you'd have no choice...still it seems a little extreme to me.