Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Really Need Some Newbie Lap Band Advice From All Of You.

I've decided to have some type of bariatric surgery. Originally I was thinking of the lap band and now I'm not so sure. The lap band is reversible while others are not. The others seem to be more successful though.

I have my 1st meeting with a surgeon in Kansas City at the Bariatric Center on February 2nd, but am not locked into any particular facility. KC offers the surgery for about 5K cheaper than in Omaha. I see an advertiser on this forum offering the surgery for 8K cheaper than KC or 14K cheaper than Omaha. How can the prices vary so much? I will be paying for the surgery out of pocket, so any savings would be a big plus. Yet I'm one of those people that believe you get what you pay for.

Has anyone had any dealings with the folks at mysurgeryoptions (forum advertiser)? The area code indicates St Louis. Are they simply a third party that helps find a facility or do they actually do the surgery?

My head is beginning to spin the closer I get to the procedure. So many questions and no place to go. I'm hoping someone can offer a wealth of information from their own person experiences.

Please help!

I agree that you get what you pay for. You also have to be realistic with what you can afford. I'm assuming that you live in Kansas City. Do you want to have to travel 200 miles for your after care? Personally, I wouldn't want to be that far from my doctor. But that's a choice you have to make for yourself. Did you look at what the varying prices include? My guess is that the cheapest one is the surgery only while the others may include a year or so of fills. As for which surgery is more successful, I think any one of them will only be as successful as you make them. I have had great success with my lap-band going from 324 pounds to my current 170. I had my surgery 3 1/2 years ago and lost 115 by my first bandiversary.

You can also check out individual surgeons on state medical boards. In California (where I am) you can see where they went to medical school, how long in practice, any judgements against them, and any actions by the medical board.

You can look some of them up on the forum, just scroll down to your state, click on it, then your city and check them out.

I use to havea 2 1/2 hr drive one way just for a fill. That will change to 1hour come this Thursday.

Follow up care is a key part with the band, because it is maintenance by your surgeon.

Check out some Surgeons Near you, Ask about their prices, and what it all covers. It's worth your time.

I go for my first of 3 mos of physician supervised nutrition appointments on Thurs. 1/26. I totally agree that they are scheduled to weed out those who are not going through with the surgery. After reading every post for the past 3 mos. I want to say I am so thankful for this site. Thank you so much to all of you who have shared your experiences and wisdom. I have been trying to get this surgery for 2 years and am so excited that I may actually have the surgery in April. Have moved 3 hours away and have a different job with different insurance (hubby transfer) and am so excited that my insurance will (may?) actually pay for this. I will have to pay approx. $2000, but again, after 2 years I am determined. If I had to pay privately, I would defintely ask what is included with each fee, then make your decision. You are the customer and have the right to know what you are getting for your money! Best of luck and again thanks to all who contribute and share their experiences.

Make sure you are going somewhere that is accredited. Research the surgeon and find out how many of the procedures they have done. My advice do thorough research before deciding. Good luck!

I am guessing the one advertising is a set up service. Maybe in Mexico? I know someone said there's a Dr in Colorado who does the procedure for $9000.