Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Dogs dumped at my house...

MeganA

Hi everyone. I have some sad news to report about one of the dogs that got left at my house.

The big lab/retreiver mix dog (her name was LuLu) stopped eating a few days after she arrived. I tried switching her to soft food, tried people food, and everything else I could think of. I took her to the vet who put her on some antibiotics but couldn't find the source of her troubles. I could tell that she felt terrible and I tried to make her as comfortable as possible.

After a little less than a week, she wasn't better. Then my Grandma died and I had to attend the wake and funeral in another town so I boarded her with the vet He was going to take some Xrays. I talked to him the next day and she was still doing poorly and he couldn't see anything on the Xray. There were two choices- one was to do explorative surgery and the other was to put her down. The vet thought that even if we did surgery, what we would find would most likely not be curable. So, I made the tough choice to put her down.

The vet did an autopsy and found that she had pancriatic cancer. He said she was very sick and we did the best thing for her. For me, this was welcome news because I kept going over and over in my head if there was anything else that could have happened or could have been done.

I still have the Boxer (I named him Rocky) and he and I had a nice talk about LuLu and how she had to go to heaven to be with my Grandma because she needed a dog with her there. I kept the blanket that LuLu slept on and Rocky sleeps on it every night.

I guess in a way I feel she was sent to me so that I could help put her out of her misery.

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts about LuLu. She was the sweetest dog I have ever met and I miss her even though she was only in my life a very short time.

Megan

awww, that just puts tears in my eyes. It is so weird how things work out like that. It's like something guided her to you.

Angie

I'm sorry to hear of your two losses, Megan. But you have a special place of honor in dogdom. I hope you and Rocky have many happy adventures together.

I'm so sorry

They say there's a reason for everything.

I guess in a way I feel she was sent to me so that I could help put her out of her misery.
and Rocky needs you too.

My condolences of your Grandma and Lulu.

Oh Megan, this is both so sad and touching. Just think if this poor dog was homeless on the streets wit this illness. God directed her to you, that is for sure.

Bless you for your generous, unselfish heart.

When I am old and memory's threads

begin to ravel and come undone;

when friends become fewer,

drifting away like the dying sun,

then I shall remember you.

I shall remember the love you gave

that put a smile upon my heart

and many a tear on this old face

when it was time for us to part.

I shall remember you.

Thanks everyone for your condolences. It was a tough week last week and I'm sure glad it's over.

Megan

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Oh Megan I am so sorry to hear about your grandma and about LuLu. LuLu was very lucky to have found you and your kind heart to help her with her suffering. God Bless you.

Megan, I'm glad that Lulu found such a caring person to spend her last days with. I'm sorry about her loss and the loss of your grandmother.

It looks like the pretty lady dog might need a doggy lap-band!

I live in a rural area and animal dumping is a seasonal thing around here. Every Spring (and then again in the Fall around the start of school) we get a slew of new critters that arrive. Some are taken in and some just can't be. I live in a neighborhood of 24 houses and all of us are animal lovers. We're also all pragmatic. A quote from my old neighbor is, "some dogs you pet, and some dogs you shoot!". It sounds awful but it's true! OK now please don't flame me for agreeing with him. But obviously this is not the case with Rocky and Rosie?, Bessie?, Ms. Goldie? They look so sweet and grateful! I have a boxer mix that came with the house and she is by far the best dog I have ever been fortunate enough to co-habitate with. She owns each and every one of my four children and thinks of them as her very own personal pups. When they are babies up to toddlers, she won't let a stranger get between her and her pup(s). She growls and warns the newcomer not to get any closer! I absolutely love her! I can let my kids (not toddlers) go out to play and she stays right with them wherever they go to look after them. She is very old (the Vet thinks over 10) and is getting more sedentary as she ages. She still runs with my hubbie but takes short cuts home instead of the long way. She is my sweet friend and I hope she sticks around for another 10 years at least.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about LuLu! I posted a quick reply without reading all the way to the end of the thread---so sorry! At least Rocky has found his home. I hope he brings you lots of warm kisses and tail wags!

This makes me so sad. First of all, I am so sorry to hear about losing your grandma. I know the pain and sadness. :cry Secondly, my heart is so sad to hear about Lulu. On the other hand, you were a special blessing to her. You made a very difficult decision that helped her find peace and be without pain. You could never know how much pain she was in. Bless her little heart!!

Rocky sounds like he is in good hands. I am convinced that animals do mourn. Our lab Malley, mourned the death of her best friend, a cat named Toby. She would run outside and look around waiting for Toby to come. You could see the pain in her eyes. Rocky will always remember his buddy.

You did a great thing by taking in both of them!!

Thank you for the kind messages. Rocky is getting along great with my other dogs and cats. He fit right in, really. He is also very protective which I love because I live alone in the country. He doesn't appreciate anyone new and barks and charges them- as soon as I say "It's ok, Rocky" he changes into a sweet loveable guy. I love that! Boxers are such neat dogs. He also has helped my other dog relax...since he's in charge she has become a lot less anxious.

When I got LuLu's collar from the vet after she was put down, Rocky took it from me with his mouth and set it down on the floor. He would play with a ball and roll it to the collar and it just broke my heart. He'd sniff it and move it around with his nose. Then one day he stopped doing that, so I picked it up and put it in the toy box. I always thought that animals morn, but this really showed me it was true.

Megan

Awwwwwwwww.. How poignant and sad is that?;)

Rocky seems like he was meant for you.

I work a lot with animals in therapy and they do mourn. I had a beautiful grey tabby named Daisy. My black cat Sam loved Daisy and looked up to him (Daisy was a "him") and they were buds. When Daisy died at 8 years old of kidney failure, Sam roamed the house for weeks, looking in Daisy's usual spots for him inside and out. Looking at me and crying as if to say "Where is Daisy?"

Sam became so depressed I had to start giving him Rescue Remedy and it lasted for months. Sam has not bonded with another cat since, and I have 4 others.