Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why You Need Carbs

I got this out of Bariatric Choice Magazine .... I thought some here would be interested

THE LOW CARB LOW DOWN

The most important thing you need to know is this - carbs are not the enemy. Carbohydrates are fuel for the body. They provide the body with glucose, it's preferred source of energy. If you eliminate your body's fuel, you decrease the speed of your metabolism and the amount of lean muscle mass simultaneously.

That doesn't mean that you can go crazy and splurge on Bagels and huge servings of pizza and Pasta. Moderation is key. The solution to successful long term weight loss is a low calorie, high Protein diet with consistent moderate and high intensity workouts, simple as that. But as a lot of you know, that type of regimen is easier said than done. Here are some tips that will keep you on the right path and hopefully keep you from believing all of the hype associated with the carb-free phenomenon.

Low Carb Does Not Equal Low Calorie

Many times, low-carb options are higher in fat and calories than their original counterparts. This is true for most low-carb comfort foods that try to trick you with their healthy mantra. Examples include low-carb ice cream, Pasta, and breads. If you watch your caloric intake and monitor bad (empty) carbs and fats, you will probably see more substantial and long-lasting weight loss than merely cutting carbs alone. And remember- junk food is junk food, no matter how low-carb it is.

Rev Up Your Metabolism

As long as your metabolism is in great shape, eating carbs in moderation will only make you more energetic and therefore more active. Eating healthy carbs such as fruits, veggies, and whole wheat bread and incorporating in continual exercise, will cause your body to become a caloric furnace.

I agree. To demonise one food group is "silly". In most instances it is not carbs that are the problem it is processed foods. What people should be eating is foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Foods that your ancestors would recognise.

I am amazed quite often when I read through what people have eaten for the day. Often in their Quest to give up carbs and go high Protein they eat lots of artificial , processed stuff.

How about instead of a Protein shake having a glass of fresh milk or eating real eggs instead of eggbeaters or whatever they are called etc

That is not to say that high carb doesn't work, it can and for some people it does. Everybody needs to find what works for them.

I agree, when people cry high carb low fat hasnt worked, that's not true. When you analyse their actual diet, its high carb HIGH FAT. They eat loads of sugar too - I remember in the 90's reading jellybeans were a great snack becuase they had no fat. Oh, boy did I take that advice on board!

There's nothing evil about good quality, wholegrain low GI carbs. For most people that is, there are exceptions to every single situation.