Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failing Home Sleep Study

I was sent a home sleep study machine. I used it last night and will need it tonight. I'm scared that I'll need to redo them. I maybe got a combined 1.5 hours of sleep because I generally can only sleep on my stomach but the nasal prongs would fall out. My mom told me not tontake sleeping meds because it'd skew the results but that may be the only way to avoid needing to redo it!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I hardly got any sleep with those things but it was enough for them to get their data; I woulndt be too worried

It was the worst sleep I have ever had... failed it of course. Then was sent to do a in-hotel sleep study, failed that one too! LOL Don;t worry about it, go through the testing, get a CPAP machine, and get the BEST SLEEP OF YOUR LIFE!! :-)

After two failed sleep studies (total amount slept 1.5hrs if I was lucky) I was told no sleep study, no surgery. But I met with the sleep Dr, and he had me do some breathing, take a survey, measured my neck etc. He said he woukd write my Dr a letter saying he does not believe I have sleep apnea, and I could do a home study to be sure. The home study wasn't covered by insurance so at last, my Dr has agreed to do the surgery. My problem was, i wasn't home, not.comfortable, and they tried to make me go to sleep at 9 and get up at 5 when I normally go to bed at 12-1 am and sleeeo til 8. The combined stress of knowing I had to sleep, and knowing I had only until 5 am to get some good sleep in, stressed me out and I laid there all night basically to the point where i was in tears. I know its important to find out if you have apnea before surgery, but if you have a good surgical team and an attentive anesthesia team you should be fine.

Also, one suggestion I have would be to contact your pcp and ask for some prescriptions sleep meds. Mine gave me some, but I didn't end up needing them since my home study was cancelled. I did try of them to see how tjey would affect me and BOY was I tired!!!

Failed first sleep study. Just couldn't get comfortable. I prepped for the second, sleepy time tea, nyquil, benadryl, Tylenol pm, light dinner, little liquids.... Slept with the mask CPAP and diagnosed with sleep apnea. Sleep md recommended CPAP, should get it soon, seeing surgeon today to set surgery date!!!! Can't wait, excited and nervous....

Second night went a little better. I'm still nervous they won't have enough information, but all I can do it wait and see.

Horsegirl- that is terrible! I fall asleep anytime anywhere which is why it was very easy for me to get mine done...but I told my sleep center ahead of time that look I don't go to sleep at normal hours....like you I stay up all night...so they set me up to arrive at 11pm and by the time they hooked me up to everything I was in bed by midnight I think or later..it was annoying with all those things stuck on me which is why it took a little longer to fall asleep but I did eventually. They should have worked with you! They knew I woke up late too so they told me that I could get up when I wanted to. I wasn't forced to wake up. 5am? That's not right. At least you got it straightened out though....but it was a good thing I got it done. I found out that not only did I have sleep apnea but that I stopped breathing 70 times an hour. This is why I was falling asleep all the time- always groggy all day no matter how much sleep I got. Never any energy. Because I wasn't actually sleeping! Since I started my APAP machine (little different than CPAP) I now only stop breathing 3 times an hour. That's really amazing! I am starting to feel a lot better too!

Had my sleep study done at a hospital and they made sure I took my sleep aid. It shouldn't skew your results. Go for it and good luck.

I did a sleep study last night and it was absolutely horrible!! I took some sleep aid before I went. When I arrived at 7:30pm I could feel the sleep aid kicking in. I was literally falling asleep while the tech was attaching the endless amount of wires to me.

By 9:00pm I had the lights out and was attempting to get comfortable, which was kind of hard especially with the stuff hooked up to my nose. I laid there for awhile and couldn't get to sleep. The tech came in around 10:15 because when I turned from one side to the other, one of the electrodes on my leg came off...so he has to come in, turn on the light and fix it. I took this time to run to the bathroom.

Around 10:30pm I FINALLY fell asleep. When I woke up I was hoping it was close to the end of the study.. unfortunately it was only 12:30am sad.png From that point on I would doze off a few minutes wake up, doze off and wake up again. This happened most of the night.

Of course every time I even adjusted in bed an electrode would fall off and the tech would have to come in, turn on the light and fix it. Not to mention that every time I moved slightly I would hear the tech over the intercom asking "Are you alright"???

Finally at 5:20am after feeling I was awake all night, constant electrodes falling off, and the Tech asking every few minutes if i was "alright" I was at my wits end and just sat on the edge of the bed until 5:30am when the study was over.

I certainly hope they got enough data, because I don't know if I could take another round of all that garbage hooked up to me,

I did a sleep study last night and it was absolutely horrible!! I took some sleep aid before I went. When I arrived at 7:30pm I could feel the sleep aid kicking in. I was literally falling asleep while the tech was attaching the endless amount of wires to me.

By 9:00pm I had the lights out and was attempting to get comfortable, which was kind of hard especially with the stuff hooked up to my nose. I laid there for awhile and couldn't get to sleep. The tech came in around 10:15 because when I turned from one side to the other, one of the electrodes on my leg came off...so he has to come in, turn on the light and fix it. I took this time to run to the bathroom.

Around 10:30pm I FINALLY fell asleep. When I woke up I was hoping it was close to the end of the study.. unfortunately it was only 12:30am sad.png From that point on I would doze off a few minutes wake up, doze off and wake up again. This happened most of the night.

Of course every time I even adjusted in bed an electrode would fall off and the tech would have to come in, turn on the light and fix it. Not to mention that every time I moved slightly I would hear the tech over the intercom asking "Are you alright"???

Finally at 5:20am after feeling I was awake all night, constant electrodes falling off, and the Tech asking every few minutes if i was "alright" I was at my wits end and just sat on the edge of the bed until 5:30am when the study was over.

I certainly hope they got enough data, because I don't know if I could take another round of all that garbage hooked up to me,

I had a good laugh reading this, but in actuality, I experienced this frustration first hand. I too, slept about two hours, like you, I did most of my sleep in the beginning then spent the rest of the night basically in different levels of conciousness but no sleep by any means. I had to re do my sleep study and the second one was more of the same, resulted in me leaving in tears. It was the worst experience of this entire process. I ended up being able to surpass the sleep study portion after my two failed attempts, meeting with sleep Dr, home sleep study not being covered by insurance, and basically hounding my surgeons staff for a pass on the study. It wasn't easy and I honestly don't know why I didn't give up...for someone who can't even stick to a diet...LOL.

I had a good laugh reading this, but in actuality, I experienced this frustration first hand. I too, slept about two hours, like you, I did most of my sleep in the beginning then spent the rest of the night basically in different levels of conciousness but no sleep by any means. I had to re do my sleep study and the second one was more of the same, resulted in me leaving in tears. It was the worst experience of this entire process. I ended up being able to surpass the sleep study portion after my two failed attempts, meeting with sleep Dr, home sleep study not being covered by insurance, and basically hounding my surgeons staff for a pass on the study. It wasn't easy and I honestly don't know why I didn't give up...for someone who can't even stick to a diet...LOL.

I got a call from the Sleep doc's office today. Apparently they were able to get the info they needed from the 2 hours or less of sleep I actually got. Now they scheduled me for another sleep study at 9pm on Friday night, this time with the mask. I take it they will still have all the crazy electrodes hooked to me, I am just praying they don't have the one hooked to my nose this time because that was the worst part. Think I will take some stronger sleep meds this time before I go..maybe I will actually fall asleep this time.