Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking While Eating Should I?

I was told not to drink until 30 minutes after a meal. But here lately I really don't have restriction. I find when I drink while eating sometimes it helps me to get full with less food. What are some of the things you guy do while eating? I have never been able to have just a few bites of food and get full. Although I have lost 92lbs, but I still have 30 more to go and it is getting hard to get there. Plus they will not give me a fill, they say I am doing just fine with the restriction I have now......boo.............

It might help you to get full with less food but you are also more likely to get stuck. You will probably also find that you get hungry again sooner than you should which is why the "rule" is there.

Not sure why you are upset about not getting a fill.If they think you are doing fine and you have discussed it with your Dr then you probably are doing fine. You have lost lots and the last part is always going to be harder to lose than the first part.

hi there!!

a couple of thoughts...

first of all, I have had similar issues, with gradually feeling like I have no restriction....especially if you lose a significant amount of weight, your band can become a little loose, as you have some fat around your stomach and as you lose that you also lose some restriction. I had the same discussion with my surgeon, and he shared my point of view...and that is...irregardless of how much weight I have lost (I've lost 140 lbs) if I can eat too much, and am hungry..and eating the way I should be, then I need a fill....I would personally revisit this conversation with your surgeon, because if you are eating too much, and are hungry, that is a problem, and the point of having a band is to help out with hunger....

I personally cannot drink while eating...I have always been told not to anyway, as it will just wash the food through your pouch, and you will be hungry quicker.....and yes, I will also get stuck....you may be full on less food when you are drinking with a meal, but are you getting hungry quicker??? I also wonder if drinking while eating is causing you to eat less Protein...and it is the Protein that is going to keep you full, and help you lose weight....personally I eat nearly no starchy carbs....my carbs come from veggies, and legumes....

hang in there!

Just today I had lunch and was very satisfied with a small amount...and then I broke down and had abit of water...put me into pain. Now I am too hungry. Its hard because I like spicy food but want to put out the fire too....

Just today I had lunch and was very satisfied with a small amount...and then I broke down and had abit of Water...put me into pain. Now I am too hungry. Its hard because I like spicy food but want to put out the fire too....

I'm glad you mentioned spicy foods! My son came out of the womb requesting chicken wings because I eat so much spicy food! How does your new stomach tolerate it?

I used to love spicy food but find after banding I just can't tolerate it any more. I learned this trick years ago for putting out the fire. Take a small sip of milk and hold it in your mouth and swish it around before swallowing.