Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6wks post op..and I want some Cereal. Is it possible to eat cereal now? Right now I don't feel much restriction so I'm able to eat most things.

Try it and find out, that is if your Dr. has you past the mushie stage.

I eat Cereal with yogurt all the time. Just watch the sugar content and your portion sizes.

As long as you are cleared for solids, give it a go...remember to chew. It's this type of food that catches me...the kind that is already small and I sometimes forget to chew...also, have it with yogurt, Greek is best, or don't put slot of milk in it because it can then be a slider food.

Choose a 100% whole grain cereal such as shredded wheat, grapenuts. The Kashi cereals are pretty much whole grain I think. I agree- watch the milk. It will turn it into a slider and milk has a lot of calories. I would try it with yougurt. My dad eats greek yougurt and cereal almost every morning.

our dietician told us 2 weeks out we could eat cereal if we let it get a little soggy.

Well I ate some honey nut cheerios with a little milk. Had no issues!!! I eat the Greek yogurt also but not with cereal. I have to change up what I eat sometimes every few days bcuz I get bored with it.

If you are cleared for solids then it is not a problem. Just choose a proper , nutritious cereal. Not one of those types that are full of sugar and have less nutrition than the cardboard box. I eat homemade Bircher style muesli with greek yogurt. Full of raw oats, seeds etc. It is very filling and full of good nutrition.

Elcee...what is your recipe for the muslei please?

Oh how I miss cereal. Pre-band, there were nights that hubby and I would have cereal for dinner. lol

I have tried a few times since being banded in 2009 and each time was disappointed to find that it just doesn't work for me, no matter how slow I eat, how many times I chew or how soggy the cereal is. Great Grains w/ pecans is my favorite! nonod.gif

i don't have a recipe, I just chuck things in!

I always start with a good quantity of raw oats( not the quick cooking ones). Then I add various seeds and grains depending on what I have in the cupboard. Sunflowers seeds, pepita's, wheatgerm or wheatbran , sultana's etc. Depending on what you can tolerate you can also add finely chopped up dried fruits such as apple or apricot but apricot tends to give me problems as it can swell. you can adding things like cinnamon or other spices. You could try using dried cranberries. If you want you can add nuts . Be as creative as you want.

You don't need sugar with it as you get sweetness from the fruit or if you eat it with a fruit flavoured yogurt. If you use greek and it's not quite sweet enough just use a little stevia or something similar.

If you search on the net you will probably come up with lots of recipes, I know there are some where you soak the museli in milk or apple juice overnight, but i find it easier to just throw in whatever I have. I also snack on the dry mix sometimes during the day if I am hungry - but not too much.

I would be careful about snacking on cereal. I had to stop buying Bare N@ked chocolate granola because I was eating a lot of it straight out of the bad. I am not a huge milk drinker. For Breakfast every day I do have non fat Chobani fruited yoghurt with the following add ins: 1/2 scoop whey isolate vanilla Protein Powder, flavorless benefiber powder, about 1/4 cup high Protein Kashi Go Lean Cereal, and spendra (non fat is pretty sour).

A teaspoon or 2 of my homemade muesli is far healthier to snack on than Cookies, chocolate, icecream etc. I don't think that is what made me fat.

Thanks Elcee!!!

I eat kashi cereal several times a week. I had avoided cereal because I thought that I wouldnt feel full or satisfied. I am pleasantly suprised that I can feel full and it does go down with no problem. I dont wait for mine to get soggy either as I find the crunch helps me to make sure that I chew really well. Just eat healthy types of cereal and you will be fine.