Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Too Much

ok, so I had my lapband 5 weeks ago on Dec.7 and right now I am eating a regular diet. Although I've been told I'm in bandster hell right now because I have no restriction and I'm eating a lot more than I'm supposed to, I feel like it isn't right! Could it be that I can eat almost as much as I did before the band??? I've been told by my support leader that even though I feel I could eat more, that I really shouldn't. But that's why I got the band!! To use this tool to help me feel fuller faster!!!!! I haven't lost any weight since dec.19. I keep fluctuating by a pound or so (depending on how constipated I am...I know...TMI) but I haven't lost much and I'm not really eating the quantity I'm supposed to. Anyone have some wise words for me?

I have only had the band for 3 weeks but I know what you are going through. I know right now I am going to get hungry, but I am sticking to the diets my doctor gave me as much as I can. I am trying to have good Snacks between meals and that has helped.

Keep working at it, hopfully it will get easier.

Hey itray are you getting enough Protein? Maybe if you up the protein in your diet you'll feel fuller.

Dear Itray, I too was banded on Dec 7. as of Dec 20th( which was my first post op visit) I had lost 23 pounds and then gained 4 of it back over the holidays. I did not get a fill on my first post op visit because i was eating about 1/2 cup of food and I was feeling full and satisfied. Well that quickly changed when the next couple of weeks came around, even though I stayed pretty closed to my 1100 calorie diet. When I ate, I was okay for about a couple of hours and then I was hungry again. I tried to always keep a sugar free Jello, or a yogurt on hand to kill the appetite. Today was my 2nd post op visit and the dr was happy that I had only gain 2 pounds. She said everyone is different in their healing stages and that if I was getting hungry between meals, it was time for a fill. so I got 2 ccs, which she said is standard on the first fill. I get only liquids today, but since I had nothing on my stomach earlier, I ate 1/2 cup of runny Protein oatmeal when I got home around 3. and I felt great! I figured I needed something in my stomach if I was going to walk my 3 miles at the gym. Keep strong! its a healing process the first 6 weeks. When is your next dr visit. Oddly enough when I weighed tonight I acutally lost the 2 pounds today! I use myfitnesspal.com to track everything I eat, even a cracker and my exercise. I do 3 miles every day ( 1 hour walk) Good luck! I hope this helps you!

My wise words (you may not like or agree, but what the heck!) - Have patience! The band won't help you to reduce the amount you eat until you achieve restriction and that may take a number of fills. Until then you will find yourself wondering, just as you are, why you bothered and why doesn't this band thing work for you.

If you can, modify your diet to start getting used to smaller portions. I have good restriction at the moment and can only eat small meals which keep me satisfied for a number of hours.

What the band can't do for you (and me...) is stop me wanting to eat for the wrong reasons or feeling head hunger. I am nine months post op today and although I have lost 54kg, I still think about eating at the wrong times and for the wrong reasons. Logically I know that I can only eat a small meal but emotionally I think that I am starving so I fill my plate - and then end up leaving two-thirds of it.

So, have patience, restriction will come and you will work with the band to achieve your goals.

It took me 6 months to get restriction so this could take you a while. Buy a digital scale and measure out your Protein when it's gone no seconds. The rest of you meal should be veggies.

thanks for your feedback everyone. I am incorporating lots of Protein in my meals. What I am not good at is eating fruits...I eat the veggies though. I have 3 meals a day and 2 Snacks. The issue isn"t that I'm always hungry but that when I do sit down for my meal, I tend to eat more than told because I don't 'feel full' as fast as I'd like to...I start to feel full after about 4 oz of protein instead of at 2 oz of protein. I guess I do have to be patient and wait for my first fill which is in 3 weeks time. In the meantime, I do eat only 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and I do not "graze" anymore like I used to. I eat significantly less than I did before I was banded. like they say....patience is a virtue!

Hi there! I am feeling your pain. I was banded on dec. 20, am on a regular diet, and even had my first (0.5cc) fill this past Monday. But I feel almost as though I don't even have a band. I get hungry. My meals, while Protein heavy and healthy, are not 1/4 or 1/2 cup in total. That wouldn't cut it at this point. I track calories, protein & exercise on my fitness pal, and I feel like I am on another weight watchers diet, the kind I've failed at before. It's just hard... Can't wait till I am in the green zone and will be able to lower my calories (I eat about 1000 most days) comfortably.

Hang in there and know you aren't alone! Best of luck to you.

I'm still not good at eating fruits. That is the 1 thing that I very rarely eat since being banded.