Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I am Doing This:Not Feeling Well

Hi everyone.

I've been really unwell lately.

I have some medical conditions besides the obesity and the problems with it. I have asthma, PCOS, GERD, Epstien Barr (chronic fatigue syndrome) costocondritis and Fibromyalgia.

I wish I had this operation last year before I started feeling so sick. Lately, I have been so ill I am am afraid to exert myself at all because I can't breath.

I'm doing this to feel well again, to hell with buying clothes (although that is an added bonus)

Back in May of 1998 I had my first "asthma attack". I woke up wheezing

one morning, went to the hospital, but the time I got there, I was

feeling better. They figured I had it seasonally due to allergies, gave

me an inhaler and that was it. I hardly used it over the years, just

when I was around cigarette smoke or pollen.

Fast foward a few years and now I have Fibrimyalgia which developed into something called Costocondtitis. The tissue in the ribs is

inflammed which constricts the lungs. Coupled with the fact I put on

quite a bit of weight, I have bad asthma now.

But lately it has been worse, my chest feeling tight and coughing on a deep exhale. Especially in the mornings. I'm not sure what is going on

during the night, because I wake in the mornings feeling pretty lousy.

I went to the doctor the other day and she said my breath is sounding

slow on the exhale and gave me Aerobid inhaler.

I'm getting scared and wondering if I will be okay through the surgery.I want to get better, I don't want this! I'm hoping with the weight loss program, I'm hoping it will lessen or dissapear with the

weight loss.

My BMI is lower than some, but that just goes to show you how different we are. My body can't tolerate being 230lbs.

Today I woke up again, feeling ill, and just got in the shower and sat there, letting it pour down on me. For some reason, that always makes me feel better.

Where are you in the decision process? Have you scheduled your surgery? Your surgeon will be able to tell you your criteria to undergo the surgery itself? It's amazing, even after losing just 20lbs, you will feel better. Some folks even get rid of some of their meds., after the first 20 lbs. Just remember that your decision is better-late-than-never! You're right "healthy" should be our main goal. I know it was for me. Shawn

Hi CCB!

Yes, I am scheduled for March 13th! I have been on a "last supper" spree. I would like to start losing right now just to begin to feel better but I'm a bottomless pit.

((((HUGS)))) (just cause you sound like you could use one.. :) )

Have you met with a band surgeon yet? What does he/she say about your case? I think weight loss would help with several of them. Your energy levels would improve too. I've read a lot of inspiring posts about people who have seen their comorbities improve or completely disappear. I sincerely hope that this is the case for you too!!

I've had the same thoughts about wishing I had done this 2 years ago (before my back gave out and I had to have surgeries to repair it). The important thing is, you're doing something about it now. Good luck to you.

Oh baby bups! You poor thing. I cannot make any promices of what the band will or will not do for you, I can only tell you what it has done for me.

I had the band installed because I was dieing from my asthma. I'd had two collapsed lungs in two years, and I was in very bad shape. This time last year I was in very bad shape, I'd spent 10 days in hospitial over the Christmas break for my asthma, and countless trips to the ER. The year before that I spent several months on oxygen at home. Days before I had my band, I had to be rushed to the ER in an ambulance because of an asthma attack.

They had to use extra care for me during my surgery, but my surgeon went ahead and did the surgery anyway, for me, it was a lifesaving proceedure.

10 months out from my surgery, I haven't lost much weight, but I've gained a big portion of my health. This January, I took a trip to DC for my scholarship, and I discovered on the flight home that I DID NOT BRING AN INHALER. I didn't need it, I didn't need it when I discovered that I didn't have it, got a little stressed when I made the discovery, but I didn't need it! In the last two months I've used my inhaler once.

Not a wheeze, not a crackle.

My fibromaliga is much better too.

But one thing, if you are feeling like crap when you wake up, you might have developed sleep apnea.

So, I can't tell you that you will definately improve. I can only tell you my story. I do know that this has been the case with several of our other bandsters as well, that their asthma got better too.

Cheers and good luck!

Thanks for the hug, I did need one. :-)

I'm also expecting my period, and everything seems to get worse at that time, including the asthma. I've actually almost passed out, it gets so bad for me at that time of the month.

My surgeon says exactly what you say, that it will help these conditions and I will see marked improvement.

YAY!

I just am afraid with my health issues, that the surgery itself, and the recovery will be harder on me than most bandsters.

Vinesqueen, THANK YOU so much for your post. It really gives me the hope. I hate so much feeling like this and it's scary.

The feeling of fear at not being able to breathe well is such a primative thing.

((((((bups)))))) I'm sorry you are having troubles. I know that it is so hard to feel good about yourself when you feel sick or bad. You are dealing with a lot, and I hope some of it can get solved soon before you feel like a drowned cat.

Hi I'm new here and have been reading your posts searching for some information about CFS and effect of lapbanding.

I was diagnosed with CFS about 6 years ago. The last 6 months have been my best since being diagnosed and I am now seriously considering having lapbanding done. (I have always been overweight but 6 years of inactivity has led to it now being a major problem. I also have sleep apnoea and diabetes.)

I just am afraid with my health issues, that the surgery itself, and the recovery will be harder on me than most bandsters.

I am also concerned that having the surgery will aggrivate the CFS and also wondering how those with CFS manage the food preparation etc on a "bad" CFS day, and also the exercise programs that are part of the "lapband life style".

I am wondering if you would mind sharing with me whether your CFS got worse post lapbanding or if you think it might have flared up because of the surgery. Also was your recovery from the surgery slower than normal cos of the CFS?

Sorry about all the questions but this is the first forum I've been able to find where someone with CFS has had lapbanding and I'll be most grateful for any information or suggestions you can give me.

Thanks for your help.

Bobbie

Bayside Melbourne

Victoria

Australia