Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting My First Lap Band Fill Tomorrow What To Expect

hi everyone i am getting my first fill tomorrow and i am nervous about what to expect pain wise and everything else.up until now i have had no restriction and felt exactly the same as pre surgery just as hungry and feeling even more obsessed about food. it also did not help that it was just the holidays so i gained back alot of my pre surgery weight loss. so will i feel different with this first fill. i am so obsessed with food now i think about it all the time more then pre surgery?????

Ugh , wish I could answer your question about the fill , but I have not had m first fill yet .. But, I NEED IT BAD .

I jus had surgery December 1 st and I'm starving AND ate a few bad things .. Ugh .

i ate alot of bad things! i was sooo bad it was channukah i had latkas and donuts it was terrible, but now i m hoping this will help i had my surgery on dec 2nd.. when r u getting ur first fill? also does anyone know if there is a special diet the day of the first fill like only liquids or what?

#1 rule of the lapband, it won't stop you from eating...

The fills don't hurt, to me it was just extremely awkward. Poking a needle in your belly. Then I felt extra full for a few days. My doc said light meals the day off, and i think liquids after for a day. Every doc has a different recommendation.

You do not need a special diet before the fill, but after you will be a day or two on liquids and then a day or two on mushies. I've had two fills and neither were painful. Others report different. I think it depends on the doctor and the way the port was originally positioned. I just lay back and shut my eyes. When i hear the bandaid, I open them. The only different I feel with the first two fills is I get fuller faster. And i am not really hungry first thing in the morning. I also don't really have the urge to snack after dinner. Again, everyone's experience is different.

Relax. It is over in like 5 seconds.

I agree with LB4Me. My surgeon said he wanted me on full liquids at least the day of the fill and the next day soft foods. I have only had the 1 fill (6 weeks post-op). I'm not sure how other doctors do it but mine gave me a light stick of something to help numb the area before the actual fill. I was then asked to drink some Water to make sure everything felt fine. It will go quickly so try to breathe!

Banded 11/3/11

Go to youtube and search for lapband fill. There are many videos of bandsters getting fills. It looks rather frightening but they all say it was not painful.

I just had my first fill last Saturday and I am a complete and total wuss about pain and needles. It was soooo ok! Really, just the needle going in - which is such a slight inconvenience then he pushes in and it feel weird but no pain. He fills and you feel nothing - it takes like 3 minutes.

I went on a completely empty stomach - i wanted to leave 8 hours before I eat, but I slept late so I hadn't had any food in me for 24 hours by the time i did it. Immediately you feel full - you'll feel like you did right after the operation, as if food is stuck at your throat. I stuck to liquids for whatever was left of the day and the next day. Then stuck with mashed potatoes and Soup Monday and Tuesday.

Yesterday I ate toast and it was fine - i ate two and that was definitely the limit - i was too scared to try any more. I just had some Pasta with white sauce and it went down easily. I am eating more than I thought I would, but less than I did pre-band so restriction will take time i guess....

Tonight I am trying sushi, let's see how that goes. I usually eat 25 pieces, after getting banded without

fills I was down to 16. So I will see how many I can eat now. I want to be in the 6-8 range.

In the mornings it's hard to have an appetite - then it grows as the day progresses. My appetite is still very much there

After the surgery I lost like 12 pounds, and I gained 4 pounds in the 3 weeks before getting my fill - i ate like i was saying bye to everything - my last burger, my last pizza my last everything! I realize now I did that too soon, I can still probably eat all these things. I am still not making good choices, Pasta, bread, all my usual crap, but I do have less cravings. But I realize I need to make an effort and not rely on the band completely.

My band fits around 11 ccs, my first fill was 4 ccs which I understood is quite a lot for a first fill. I expected to eat less. So i will go get another fill as soon as the doc okays it. After ur fill stick to liquids for 2 days, mashed stuff for 1-2 more then switch to solids.

I can't wait for my first fill. I have been eating between a cup and a cup and a half of food and the doc says I should be only eating 6oz at most. I am still hungry after 6oz. :-/

I was banded on the 6th and have my fill next week.

I don't really think the fill hurts and it is over in 5 seconds. My first fill (3 cc's) when I got up off the table I felt a tightening around my stomach. Didn't hurt just felt weird. Took me 6 months to get restriction. Even now the band does'nt stop me from eating anything. Except raw carrot! I live by the 90/10 rule; eat correctly 90% of the time and live a little the other 10%. That said at this point in your journey I would recommend cutting out all donuts and fried food.< /p>

I won't have my first fill until Jan. 18, but I picked up a handout regarding diet after a fill from my surgeon's office at my last visit.

It says:

TODAY (day of fill) - Clear liquids

TOMORROW and the FOLLOWING DAY - Full liquids (pudding, yogurt, etc)

DAY 3 and DAY 4 - Blended diet

DAY 5 and FORWARD - Diet as tolerated

It also says that if at any time on the day of the fill or the day after you are unable to tolerate Clear Liquids (vomiting, not keeping liquids down) that you need to call the office right away.

I hope this helps!