Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling So Depressed, I Can Barely Function

Hi everyone,

12 days post op, and I feel I can’t go on.... it has nothing to do with food, or lack thereof.

have you heard of side effects from anesthesia being severe depression? I am just wondering where is this all coming from?? I have been separated for almost 2 years and all of a sudden I am madly in love with my ex? that is impossible! is this part of recovery? has anybody experienced depression? seemingly not related to the band itself? I am so confused right now, please help.

I didn't experience this myself, but anesthesia can do funny things to your body....I wouldn't discount it as a cause.

But if you are that depressed, you really need to get back to see your doctor.....immediately. Anesthesia may be the cause, but only he can confirm that diagnosis and help you to correct it.

Please call your doctor!

All the best!!

jim

Hi,

I wouldn't think any anesthesia is still in your body, but you never know. I know I have problems with depression and was told to be monitored by doctor after I got the band. I am not sure why but having the band can cause depression in some people or worsen it in those that already are depressed. I have not had any problems, thank God. I think the changes in your body due to the band can have an effect on the chemicals in your brain. Contact your doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!!!! Do not put this off, this is serious and you need to see a doctor!!! I hope and pray that you start to do better. Good luck!!!

i agree with the others, call your doc asap !! depression is nothing to mess around with, been there done that .as you know, it a'int pretty !! i was banded about the same time you were, so far no probs like yours. from what ive read on the forum and other sources depession is not a normal reaction. call your doc now ! let us know how it goes =we will help you through this !!

I had deep dark depression during the 2nd and 3rd weeks post-op. I was told it was a common side effect of anesthesia for many people. Thank goodness for me, it did pass. I would call your doctor and let them know what is going on. Your body and mind will be going through many changes. It is often hard to detect the reasoning behind it all. Good luck!

P.S. The nurse even listed sadness, depression as a possible side effect on my discharge instructions.

Hi Carol, I too am 12 days post op, so congrats to you! I'm so sorry to hear about your depression, and like the others stated, plz call your dr. I couldn't imagine falling in love with my ex husband again, if that happened i think i would call 911...(smile) We can be band buddies if you like..

This doesn't sound right. Please go visit a doctor as soon as you can. I hope you come out of this funk soon.

Please call your doctor, sweetie. This doesn't sound good. Depression can be a symptom of your anethesia AND your surgery. You've just gone through a huge change.

PLEASE call your doctor immediately and then post here and let us know how you're doing??? We're all in this together with you.

My sister's husband had RNY and she is supportive of me getting the lapband. (She is a doctor herself.) The very first thing she told me when I told her I was considering bariatric surgery was that the first couple months would be hard and depression does happen in some folks. She has encouraged me to make sure I have a strong support system, to seek out good after-care to help me adapt to all the changes, to remind myself regularly that it will get easier, and to talk to my doctor if I feel like I'm dealing with depression. There are things they can do to help, but you have to let them know what you are experiencing. So just to echo what everyone is already saying...go talk to your doctor. They can help. Good luck! ++

With anaesthesia, I've been told that it takes about a week to leave your body for each hour you were under.

Give your doctor a call - if you can't see your surgeon, at least get in to see a GP. In the meantime, see if you can getsome sunlight because that can help with body chemistry. And walk as much as your recovery will let you - walking will help to process the anaesthetic out of your system, and the exercise will also be a mood enhancer.

thank you everyone, omg is so good to get so much advice from ppl that understand what is happening.

It has gotten way better, and I did make an appt to see my primary, so lets see how it goes.

again, thank you, it means so much to have help.

I have noticed that I become really moody and even depressed when my calories are super low over a long period of time. When I'm noticing I'm extra moody, I try to flighty increase my calories and it seems to work. Maybe this is another option to discuss with your doctor.

(null)

First of all, please seek help immediately if you are this depressed. Call a friend, call a help line. I must clarify the misconception though from different post that I have seen. Anesthesia DOES NOT CAUSE DEPRESSION. I am a surgery center RN. Anesthesia can be in your system 18-24hrs typically to wear off completely. We also see this type of "post-surgical" depression in heart patients. I think we really have to look at why we are all in this having surgery. We (or at least I ) feed our emotions with food and never really feel our emotions, or work through them. After surgery you are forced to deal with emotions like you never have before because the "go to" for dealing with emotions, good OR bad has been taken away from you. We didn't get to this point over night, and it certainly won't go away over night. I really do recommend on-going counseling for this. I know it will be a needed aspect of my healing.

Please private message me if you would like to talk. Please stay safe and reach out for help.