Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet During The Holidays

im so happy i finally have my surgery date which is on jan 4th but this means that i am on a liquid diet from now until my surgery. christmas and new years are going to be a struggle :( anyone have any suggestions? lots of Jello ? hahaha

Hello,

I just joined this forum and saw your question so am responding because my pre-op diet was during Thanksgiving. My MD did not require a full liquid diet until 24 hours before surgery so I was not totally famished. He did however, put me on a VERY low calorie, bland diet (fruit, veg and 4 oz chicken or fish) about 1 month prior to surgery.

I live alone so am not constantly seeing other people eating whatever they want to eat which is helpful. I emptied my cabinet and fridge of anything other than what I was supposed to eat to avoid temptation and I also made sure my stomach was full before going to my family's get-together.

Nevertheless, it was hard but I just tried my best to focus on my goal which is to lose 150lbs and to have knees that are not always hurting. I totally love clothes and have a lot of dresses still with tags that are too small for me. I took them out and looked at them and tried to imagine how good it will feel when they fit.

No matter what time of the year your surgery is scheduled, there would have been a holiday or ocassion where people gather and eat a lot of good food. Try not to focus on what you're missing-instead, focus on your ultimate goal.

Best wishes and good luck with your surgery.

I really don't understand why these Dr's are putting their patients on liquid or low cal diets before surgery .

Before my surgery I've done almost 2 yrs of research on the lap band and found a lot of ppl were put on a liquid or low cal diet before surgery.

Before surgery I met with my surgeon to sign papers and go over any questions I may have . Well I really didn't have any. But as I was walking out the room I said "wait, do I have to go on a low cal or liquid diet or something ". He said no. I asked why I read so many people have to before surgery. He said " they only do that to shrink the liver, but it doesn't shrink it much, I want my patients eating GOOD Foods and feeling good for surgery , not under nourished lol.

I just had my band placed yesterday, dec 22nd. I did not have to go on liquid diet prior to surgery. I am on Clear Liquids today and tomorrow I can start anything I can drink in a straw for 3 weeks. I'm sore, but found that the more I get up and move, the better. It's getting the gas moving and out that is the hardest part

Bluetigeteyes,.... Anything that You can drink through a straw , but they did say DO NOT USE A STRAW....correct ? Lol

im so happy i finally have my surgery date which is on jan 4th but this means that i am on a liquid diet from now until my surgery. christmas and new years are going to be a struggle sad.png anyone have any suggestions? lots of Jello ? hahaha

I was just banded on the 20th so I will also be on a liquid diet Christmas. But I do have to say the liquid diet before was so much harder then after. I just wanna suggest if you have not found any Protein drinks or powders that you like yet, you might wanna start looking. The Protein did wonders for helping me to stay full. The first few days on my liquid diet were really rough but by about the 3rd day I found some protein I could get down and it started helping me feel fuller. After trying many different kinds of the powders, I decided to try some from www.unjury.com and they tasted so much better then any other I had tried. I would mix a packet of chocolate carnation instant Breakfast with a scoop of the chocolate unjury protein and it was like having a glass of extra chocolaty milk lol but I would suggest also buying a Blender Bottle. it helps mix the Protein powder with your liquid without clumps. Hope this helps!! Good luck with your liquid diet and Surgery welldoneclap.gif

I was banded last year on the 20th, so I was on liquid the week before and 2 weeks after. Luckily on Christmas I got to add full liquids and the Unjury I had tasted wonderful. I did go to my parents house, my parents knew I had surgery obviously (I told my sister that day) so I had asked my mom not to go crazy cooking, I knew she would cook some for my sister, but I managed through. I did not cheat. Just remember it is just another day. Unfortunately the holiday treats at work have been kicking my butt. So I'm just focusing on maintaining right now.

The thing that will be worse for me, is my family always cooks a big meal for Christmas just like thanksgiving and I can't ask them not to cuz there will be like 15 or more other ppl there. Then when we leave my families, we go to my husbands families and they do the same. So I predict tomorrow will be a VERY LONG DAY lol

Hey ladies! I was banded on the 19th and plan on blogging lots of good liquid recipes with lots of Protein. I only have 1 up right now but by the end of the night i should have 5 or 6 more! I hope this helps and I hope you all are doing great!!

http://happilyafterlapband.blogspot.com/

Hey ladies! I was banded on the 19th and plan on blogging lots of good liquid recipes with lots of Protein. I only have 1 up right now but by the end of the night i should have 5 or 6 more! I hope this helps and I hope you all are doing great!!

http://happilyafterlapband.blogspot.com/

I went and viewed your link! Lots of good ideas, thanks for sharing. I was curious as to your post op liquid diet? My surgeons told us 4oz 6 times a day and the hours inbetween to SIP an oz of Water every 15 minutes. I seen u posted 2oz as your limit. How often are you allowed this?