Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Weight Loss After Lap Band Surgery......

I see that a lot of people seem to lose weight quickly. On average it looks like people are losing 50-60lbs the first 4-6 months. I was banded on 8/22/11 (so almost 4 months ago) and I haven't lost nearly that much weight. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I haven't lost one single pound in the past month (since my last fill). I wonder if I am going to be stuck here and not able to lose any more weight. Yes, I'm counting calories and Protein and drinking Water. I am not exercising, that's my fault and I plan to start doing that. Has anyone else had slow weight loss? I just really need some advise and a good old fashion pep talk that this will work.

Can you please tell me how you posted this .. I have been on here for ever and dont know how to ask questions or post my experiences . going nuts .

I was just recently banded December 1st and im almost down 15 lbs. I have a meal plan planned out from my nutritionist until february 9th.

Are you still talking to your nutritionist ?

Don't get discouraged! Many people include their pre op weight loss without posting that info. Also some people lose a tremendous amount in that first two weeks because docs keep them on liquids. I only lost four pounds the first month so I was devastated! I did and am doing everything right but my weight loss is significantly slower than many who post on here. We are all soooooo different. If you are like me and have dieted your entire life. like 45 years, your metabolism sucks and the weight comes off more slowly. On the bright side, at about my four month mark the weight started coming off more quickly. I guess my body finally decided to give in! lol Best of luck and hang in there! I know it's hard , but don't compare yourself to others. We are all different!

Can you please tell me how you posted this .. I have been on here for ever and dont know how to ask questions or post my experiences . going nuts .

I was just recently banded December 1st and im almost down 15 lbs. I have a meal plan planned out from my nutritionist until february 9th.

Are you still talking to your nutritionist ?

Click on the category, like "General Lap- Band Discussion", and at the top right click " Start New Topic". Let me know if you need more help.

I was banded 10/28/11, I have only lost 15 lbs since then!!

Thank God I counted calories and exercised before the surgery so I lost 30 by the surgery date.

My loss has been slow but my clothes have changed, I am down 4 pant sizes!!! I of course want both but, that is not how it is going today.

I know I am doing all the right things so I continue on day by day.

For most of us exercising is one of the key factors in sustaining the weight loss, restriction of food will only take you so far down that road, then you need to start looking at calories in and calories burned by exercising, not everyone needs to but if u say you arent exercising then have a go :)

Some people lose slower than others, I've been banded a year today and am down 68lb. A lot of people banded last December are down over a hundred. Though some of those had more weight to lose. Be happy with your loss.

@2bsmaller, you must go to the very top of the beginning of the post and click on the black square to reply.

I'm a slow loser too. I also have a thyroid issue, so that makes it even harder to lose.

I go through spurts where I loss nothing and then another spurt where I lose a pound or two. I am

Averaging .5 pound loss per week. Today it's been 6 months since I was banded. Lost total of 40 including pre-op diet.

I too get down when I see other people losing more faster. But everyone is different. My doctor is satisfied with my loss so far.

I weigh each Wednesday and that's the weight I record. I'm trying not to weigh daily, as that has driven me crazy! Try not to compare your situation to others. Remember someone else is losing slower than you ;)

I have had very very slow weight loss. So now I think it has totally stopped. I was banded 2 1/2 yrs ago. I lost 45 lbs within the first 6 mos. It took me another 5 mos after then to lose 4 more. I am diabetic and have come off 2 of my meds. This may have contributed to some of the slow weight loss. Most of the slow weight loss may have been of my own doing, but I am desperatly asking any and everyone to help support me to get back on track. I still have 30 lbs to lose and want 1-1-12 to be my new years start date. "Please dont get discouraged". I'm just one person. I am joining the gym also right after Christmas. Hang in there!

Thank you all for your comments and you are all right. I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, I should just be thankful that I have lost and will continue losing. I am a diabetic and have a thyroid issue as well and although both issues are controlled, I'm sure it has something to do with my slower loss. It is just good to hear that I'm not the only one out there not losing 10lbs per month. Thank you all for your support. This forum is so very helpful!!!

Some people do loose slower than others. I lost 100 lbs in the same time my daughter lost 40 lbs. She was so discouraged that she had a metabolism test done. But, all of a sudden she started losing better, too. A not, she was not exercising and I was doing about 30-40 mins walk a day. Walking helps a lot, by the way. Good luck, don't give up on yourself! Karen

I see that a lot of people seem to lose weight quickly. On average it looks like people are losing 50-60lbs the first 4-6 months. I was banded on 8/22/11 (so almost 4 months ago) and I haven't lost nearly that much weight. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I haven't lost one single pound in the past month (since my last fill). I wonder if I am going to be stuck here and not able to lose any more weight. Yes, I'm counting calories and Protein and drinking Water. I am not exercising, that's my fault and I plan to start doing that. Has anyone else had slow weight loss? I just really need some advise and a good old fashion pep talk that this will work.

I was banded 7 months ago and at the 6 month point, I had happily lost a lot of weight. Well, things change-- I haven't lost a pound since. My last fill was about that time, and for the first time, it caused me to not be able to eat some things. My PA had once told me that people with bands too tight ALWAYS gain weight, cause we get hungry trying to eat the healthy food that may be getting stuck. So we resort to higher calorie/lower Protein foods cause it goes down easier! And we eat more of it cause it is not as filling as protein. I think that is part of my (our?) problem, as I am no longer tracking how much protein/calories I am eating. So maybe your band is now a little too tight and you are making the same mistakes as me?

OR, maybe you (and I!) are just at a plateau! Who knows?! At least we aren't gaining! Like one guy said on here once on the same subject, don't beat yourself up cause you are temporarily at a stand-still, or even gained a little. Look at yourself in the mirror and believe your friends when they say how good you are looking and doing. You are still the same wonderful, successful person, and this too shall pass.

Best of luck to you! Just reading your circumstance and reflecting on mine and remembering that guy's advise has put me in a positive frame of mind. Hope it has helped you! Super good luck to you! Keep up the good work!

I needed to hear that Oldie. Your right, I am tight and I think that my body has gotten used to it because I cant really tell that I am. Maybe if I try really hard and start to lose again, my Doctor will give me an unfill. It could be like starting over again. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Nevertheless; If I could contiue to lose, It will be ALL good!!

Thanks for the info Oldie but no, I'm not too tight. I don't have a problem getting anything down except bread if I don't chew really well but I can even get that down as long as I chew.