Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking And Eating

Hello everyone!

I was banded on September 15th of this year, and have done pretty well. I was at 415lbs before the surgery, and I am now at 355.

I have found that lately I am struggling with not being able to drink while I eat, AND not drinking for two hours after. I feel thirsty and have a hard time resisting. Any pointers?

Why are you waiting two hours after eating its only supposed to be 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after that might help you very much.

My doctor said 30 min before and 1 hour after.

my dr said up till you eat and 1 hour after

I drink a LITTLE while I eat with my surgeon's knowledge and blessing - I'm down close to 80 in less than 6 months. The Water helps with restriction/fullness. Again, though, I'm talking about a couple small sips.

I heard 15 before and after. there are a lot of variation to that as you can see but 2 hours is way more then I've ever heard of. did your dr. say that or is that something you read?

It was what my Dr. told me. 30 minutes before and two hours after.

I drink a LITTLE while I eat with my surgeon's knowledge and blessing - I'm down close to 80 in less than 6 months. The Water helps with restriction/fullness. Again, though, I'm talking about a couple small sips.

Makes sense. There is just so much volume in your pouch. Sipping Water with food will fill your pouch with food and water., so a little less food intake than not drinking water.

But if not careful, you can overfill your pouch resulting in major problems.

My doc said one hour before and one hour after. Seems like they all have a different answer and I am so SICK of that. Everything to do with the band has a different answer depending on what doctor you talk to. Just go with how you feel. I try to wait 15-30 minutes after I eat...I don't worry about the before.

I am investigating the band as an option. I was told that if I elected this option, I should not drink while eating. However, not being able to drink hours after eating raises a red flag for me as I wonder what is affecting your ability to drink hours after you have eaten. What is your physician saying about this?

I was told from my nutritionist and Surgeon no drinking 30-1hr after eating and NO drinking while eating .... Im a VERY big drinker, so it's hard for me to not grab my drink after eating.

I can only speak from a point where I have been banded for more than a few months, had a few fills, and I am now living with a fair amount of restriction and in the "Green Zone"

#1: Provided you have not eaten anything, I feel there is no time restraint against drinking before eating. It goes right past the band into the stomach. Every time we go out for dinner I will drink my Water, and/or my cocktail up until the point my food arrives. Then I am finished.

#2: While eating, food accumulates in your pouch, passing through your band slowly, like a clogged drain. If you cannot help yourself and drink while eating, be my guest. For

just like a clogged drain, you will overfill your pouch and probably vomit after experiencing some pain.

Do that once or twice and you will be cured of that Habit. They're telling you not to for your own good.

If you have no restriction, then this will probably not effect you, but like everything else you are practicing new habits.

#3: Drinking after you are done eating will have the same effect as #2, depending upon how fast your pouch empties. I have heard all kinds of time periods for this and I feel most of them are B.S., because they need to tell you something, so they come up with a nice rounded number!

When I eat, I can feel the restriction, and I can feel food sitting in my pouch. That's how I know when to stop eating. I can also tell when the food is no longer in my pouch, for the most part. It is then that I will have something to drink. (carefully at first) The time for this varies from 15 minutes to an hour. Anything longer than that and I'm stuck! If there is a little food still there, it will at this time probably wash down.

Again using the dinner analogy, it has been a long time since we hung around for after dinner coffee.

I am only speaking from my own experiences. I have made it a point to learn to "listen" to my band, and the feedback it is giving me.

I also have to say that early on, when I was first banded, none of this, and other little "rules" made much sense, and was at times frustrating. But then it all started to click to where I would say "Ah, now I understand why you said that"

15 minutes before and 1 hour after for me.

I have always drank some Water with all my meals. If I didn't, I would only be able to take in 2 Tablespoons of food.< /p>

My surgeon said my system is sensitive, so weigh out your food so you don't go over. Eat a bite or 2, then wash it down.

By the time I get done,,, I'm full ! Also it lasts threw the day.

So yep I eat, and drink with my meals.