Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Told A Big Old Lie

I fibbed too and I have no worries about it and I am pretty close to my boss and co-workers. They all know I've been trying to lose weight even before the band so I don't think they'll put 2 and 2 together. They think I am having a hernia repair surgery.

I haven't told a fib yet, but I think I'm going to have to come up with a whopper! :speechles I am planning on getting banded over my easter vacation. Problem is Easter Sunday when my husbands family has a HUGE lunch with every one invited. 1. I'll probably still be feeling a bit of pain from the surgery, and 2. I won't eat any thing which will raise suspicions from the getgo. I don't want to tell my inlaws or any one else for that matter, so I'm trying to decide what to tell them. I can't tell them I had any kind of surgery because they know me well and know I don't have any health problems. (other then my weight but they would never agree with wls, they think I just need to try dieting harder.)I think I'm going to have my husband tell them I came down with something and I'm sick in bed at home...*sigh* inlaws....:frusty:

Hey, I told my boss...and I somewhat regret it!!! He is very supportive, however, we went to a business dinner and he brought over a lady who had GBS and said we needed to talk. He told her I was having a similar surgery and started telling her everything.....The lady was as uncomfortable as I was!!! I Wish I would not have told anyone, but I am not a private person so its hard to keep my mouth shut!!! BUT...several people have given their opinions, that I didn't care to hear!

I know how you feel I find it hard to fib/lie/?? what ever you call it. Just think it is how I am geared. Maybe the same is for you. But the older I get and the more I see, I guess sometimes it just doesn't matter.

I said I needed a week off because I was having a laproscopic Myomectomy (fibroids removal) and left it at that. It took me a year to decide to do this and it is a very personal decision for me, I feel no quilt at all over lying about the real surgery I had. Now three months later people are noticing I am losing weight, but good grief they've seen me with a Slimfast almost every morning and eating salads and Lean Cuisines every lunch and definitely dont make any connection to the surgery I had months ago.

You have every right to keep it to yourself. And lying about stuff like that doesn't really count anyway. It's just a way to facilitate social interactions.

I'm right there with you. I started to get asked about my weight loss at church a few weeks ago and I haven't divulged the "whole truth". Makes me feel terrible, but it really isn't their business, it's very personal. I just say, I've lost a some, it's hard, I've fought this battle for years, I've got a long way to go, not sure just how much I've lost, calories in calories out.....My family all knows (the people who I need to support me) and that's it, well, and anyone they've told. This could come back to bite me. Now my DH thinks I should just fess up, he jokes about me having to go before the congregation one day confessing, hee, hee. It's not that I'm ashamed or too proud to admit that I need help, I just don't want to hear all the crap. I'm going to hell.

Sue

Okay, heres my opinion....If you tell a lie/fib to get you out of a situation like stealing or hurting someone then thats a problem. If you lie/fib to protect your personal business, then its okay....:)

I told every one I worked with that I was having Gallbladder surgery. It was all good till someone ACTUALLY had to have gallbladder surgery!! She came to me for advise and suggestions...so I had to drag her to the side and say look, the advise I gave you infront of everyone was bogus...I told her that I had the surgery. Now I am finding it easier to open up to people about...in the beginning I was very closed off about it. Dont sweat the "fib/lie" ~ your not doing it to hurt anyone....

By the power vested in me by the company of Inamed, I absolve you of any guilt you feel.

Everyone on this thread is right: you don't have to tell your boss anything. If anyone should be feeling guilty it's him/her for asking you in the first place!

Me, I told my mother, a health care professional. She then blabbed to my aunt, some waitress, and her own doctor. Thanks, Mom. :)

I don't think we should be worrying about how much to tell people AT ALL! We don't have to point out our every wart either, I also don't want to divulge every fantasy that crosses my mind.

I need time off for surgery. If someone is rude enough to ask further, one could simply say it is personal.

I am losing weight because I am really watching my portion size. That is not a lie.

Some of us just prefer to keep some things to ourselves. I TRULY admire those of you who are open but we are all as different as our fingerprints.

For those of you who think you're going to hell for telling lies about your surgery--you believe in a much harsher God than I do! Plus, I have done so much worse in my life than telling a lie like this. Y'all must be saints!

I work for the State of Texas, and, yes, if you plan to take time using FMLA, you must submit a doctors statement indicating a description of sorts. I do not recall the exact wording of the policy, but it is fairly specific. This is legal and written into the state government agency's departmental HR policy.

The State further goes on to define FMLA absence to begin upon completion of the 3rd day of sick leave. After the third day, you must have a statement from your doctor describing your condition and granting a full release in order to return to work.

None of us, supervisor or underdogs, like this policy. Since we police ourselves, we apply a broad interpretation of the policy. Luckily, HR does not push us that much.

I have good doctors, and they know how to write these letters without divulging my personal information to the gossip mongrel clerks in the HR typing pool.

Don't ask me how the State gets away with this. I worked shift work for five years with this Agency, without a single break. Class-action lawsuits filed and lost, repeatedly. Go Figure.

I too had a nosy boss when I had my breast reduction. He asked what the surgery was for and I hem-hawed around saying something vague about having back problems (which was the reason for the surgery) so he says "So, you're having back surgery"... I said no and then told him it was a breast reduction. I thought he swallowed his tongue! He turned red, supttered a bit and then excused himself. I felt it served him right for being so nosy. He couldn't look me in the eye for several days and the day before I left for my time off he said "So, you're really going through with it, huh?" - GAWD, you would have thought that I was having an arm cut off ("how can you live without your boobs?!?"). Cave man... Anyway, that taught me a lesson. It's no one's business what I do with my body and the law is on my side. Don't loose any sleep over it.