Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh Silly Appetite, You Were Only Hiding...

Hey beautiful bandsters!

So I was banded 10 days ago (I survived! whoop!) and my appetite has showed up again, guns a'blazin! I had hiatal hernia repair work done with my band and I truly was in the worst pain afterwards, EVER. Subsequently I had little to no appetite for about 5 days...literally, all I could take was 2 spoonfuls of liquid a few times a day.

Now? Oh my word, I can drink my entire 8 oz. preop shake in 15 minutes, no pain or pressure. And I'm getting hungrier in between. Help! Is this normal???

love,

the craving french fries blondie

This is the time you'll find out just how strong you are. Many people

lose through this period, up to their first fill and beyond. It's really hard,

but the band does help a little, even now. Mind over matter and all that

drivel. All you can do is the best you can, It's going to be difficult, but

try your best. Good luck.

hey hotpink7

I was just banded 12/12. 3 days ago. I know there are more experienced banders on here but I will try to help. If I got hungry, I would eat sugar free Jello. Or maybe call your dietician at the doctor's office.

Good Luck

welcome to bandster hell! focus on healing, not losing. If you lose, count it as a bonus. now, this doesn't mean its a free for all, but this is the hardest part, because you want to be losing, you feel you should be losing, and chances are you're not. It's okay, you will be okay in the end. This is normal!!

sugar free fudge pops will get you through

Appetite is like a small puppy that grows back into the savage Belly Beast that strives to control our Lives!!!

It takes considerable effort and daily discipline to regain rational control of our brain over our bodily habits.

Study the tricks it plays on you, and begin a dedicated written journal outlining the observations you make.

For me the trick was (finally) coming to recognize the difference between "hungry" and "not hungry".

Simple minded, but I had slipped into the habit of being fearful of not just being hungry, but alarmed by the process of 'becoming hungry'.

Once I could rationally evaluate the process, I became thrilled at the many tools available to alter my own eating behavior.

Et tu, Brute'? Yep, you're elbows deep in the hardest part. I was banded on 11/29 and have found myself in the same boat. I even felt a little depressed and obsessed over the whole issue. I had a dream that I gorged myself and ruptured my stomach.

Then I came to the rationalization that I CAN DO THIS. My biggest trick...when I'm THINKING I'm hungry, distract myself. I can distract myself with a phone call, an email, a hobby, a task, a walk...ANYTHING. And it works. If not, I calculate my total Protein, make sure I've taken what I'm supposed to up to that day, and request the back up troops move in. (Sugar-free Jell-O, sugar-free popsicles, V-8, sugar-free pudding, or broth spruced up with garlic and onion powder, or "diet" fruit juice.)

It will get easier, especially when the pounds are melting off, clothes start feeling looser, and there's signs of your success.

Hang in there. So far, I've lost 15 pounds. Not bad for 16 days.