Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intro and advice

Hey all,

I have thought about lap band surgery before, but never really thought I could do it. Today however, I saw a doctor for a check up and she asked me if I had ever thought about the lab band surgery. She said she's almost sure I'm a candidate and that I should see a gastric doctor to sort it out. It takes on a whole new meaning when a doctor says that you should do it. So I would like to know your opinions based on my history.:help:

I'm 25 years old, 110 kg (242lbs) and im 1.65m tall (5´5). I have been fat since I can remember. (since about 6 years old I think) I have been on numerous diets, had some success with some of them, but then end up gaining the weight back and usually plus a little more. I exercise, I have a treadmill, I go to the gym when I can. I'm not lazy and I cook fairly healthy. But we (my husband and I) eat out a lot because of our busy schedule. My bmi is 40.3. I want to start a family but I know because of my weight it would be dangerous. I have never had surgery before, the worst thing I ever had done is my wisdom teeth were pulled. I'm afraid of surgery, but I'm afraid even more of my weight and the problems it might cause. Heart problems and diabetes and cancer all run in my family. I don't know if the surgery is right for me, or if I'm just not trying hard enough with the diets. This is a hard decision and my husband said he's leaving it up to me (although he doesn't support the idea of me having surgery if I decide to do it he won’t stop me.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

<!-- / message -->

Okay, except for the 25 yers old part, our numbers are very similar.

When I saw my doc and mentioned the Lap Band, her response wasn't "why would you do something so drastic, you aren't THAT fat!" it was, "why don't you just get the Gastric Bypass?" SIGH. So not only was I fat enough, she wasn't sold on banding. I saw her recently and she is very impressed with my weight loss, my lower blood pressure, and improved health. So there.

Your band will help make it possible for you to reduce the amount of food you eat. It will not help you exercise more, it will not help you choose better (unless your band won't allow you to eat, say, breads or rice) and it will not help you lose weight unless you work it. Eat hard protiens first, then veggies, then carbs, if you have room. Exercise. Drink plenty of Water, but not with meals. If you are willing to do the work, the Band keeps you consistent, long-term, with a healthy lifestyle. It's possible!

I'm amazed at people who seem to drop the weight like it's nothing. For me, it's hard! But I CAN do it, where I couldn't before. It's actually pretty easy to maintain my weight loss so far. It takes work to get more off. You may be one that drops it faster. If so, good for you! Just know, going in, that you need to do your part. I have NEVER been able to follow a healthy eating plan for more than a few weeks without totally losing it. Now my band keeps me in check, so the weight I lose is GONE, baby! Good luck.

Hubby will come around. Show him the Before/After pictures thread. Uh huh, he'll get it.

Wow I could have written that!!

I was 5'6' and 297 before I had my surgery. When I got pregnant with my daughter I was over 300lbs!! I did NOT have any complications during my pregnancy other than high blood pressure at 38wks that caused me to be induced. The induction failed and I ended up with a c-section. It wasn't that bad. If you are healthy in every other way then I would not let your weight discourage you from getting pregnant.

Check out www.plus-size-pregnancy.org for more information.

As far as surgery is concerned. The key is to find a doctor that you are comfortable with that has done many of these surgeries. My doctor did my surgery last August and banded my hubby in January. Needless to say we are very happy with him and his staff. ;)

One thing I do want to warn you about is the fact that most doctors say not to become pregnant for anywhere from 1-2 years after surgery (varies by doctor) in order to allow your weight to stabilize.

Best of luck to you!

thanks for the advice guys. I never thought of myself as REALLY fat before because I have a pretty good self image, so I never thought surgery was for me. So I would have expected the same response from my doctor. I always thought I could just try harder at the diet. (which ever one I was on at the time) I live in Portugal by the way, I'm not sure if I mentioned that. My husband is Portuguese so I moved here when we got married, so I'm not sure how things work here as far as where its performed and who does it. I have an appt. with the bariatric doctor on the 24th. But I had seen this guy before like 3 years ago and he tried to give me a diet to follow, so I'm not sure how he is going to react to surgery. But it was a doctor in the same clinic who told me I should do it. So we will see what happens after the appointment.

I did show my hubby the before and after pics, he thinks most of the girls looked better before! ;) I was fat when he married me and I don't think he would mind keeping it that way. He told me last night if it wasen't for all the health risks that he would tell me to forget the surgery. I guess the only reason he's entertaining the idea is because he knows the kind of fat I have is really dangerous, and because of my family history. Ohh well, I don't care, its time to finally do something. :D