Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely Nervous About Walking In To The Gym, Let Alone Working Out

2bigdogz
Sign in to follow this  

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 20th. I recently went to the local gym to look at equipment, find out the max weight on the machines, and inquire about prices, etc.... I was so nervous walking into the gym. It's truly one of my mountains to cross. Since I manipulated my gastric bypass 9 yrs ago and didn't exercise, I now know what I have to do. I have my mind made up to exercise at least 3 days a week for 45 minutes and then work my way up. I actually want the exercise to be incorporated throughout every part of my lifestyle. The trainer/owner of the gym was nice and friendly and reassured me that all the equipment can hold me. He encouraged me to take the personal training times and learn how to use everything. I'm more interested in the form. I need LOUD music when I exercise- good stuff like Metallica, AC/DC, etc... he doens't have a sound system, so I need to invest in a MP3 that is loud and of course tennis shoes. I know that I will have to spend quite a bit on shoes and I don't know where to start? Underarmor? Getting physically fit is not a small expense. But, I'm willing to do different things to get different results... whatcha think??

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 20th. I recently went to the local gym to look at equipment, find out the max weight on the machines, and inquire about prices, etc.... I was so nervous walking into the gym. It's truly one of my mountains to cross. Since I manipulated my gastric bypass 9 yrs ago and didn't exercise, I now know what I have to do. I have my mind made up to exercise at least 3 days a week for 45 minutes and then work my way up. I actually want the exercise to be incorporated throughout every part of my lifestyle. The trainer/owner of the gym was nice and friendly and reassured me that all the equipment can hold me. He encouraged me to take the personal training times and learn how to use everything. I'm more interested in the form. I need LOUD music when I exercise- good stuff like Metallica, AC/DC, etc... he doens't have a sound system, so I need to invest in a MP3 that is loud and of course tennis shoes. I know that I will have to spend quite a bit on shoes and I don't know where to start? Underarmor? Getting physically fit is not a small expense. But, I'm willing to do different things to get different results... whatcha think??

Congratulations on taking that big step!!

Many gyms offer 1 free personal trainer session when you sign up. They hope you'll spring for more sessions regular_smile.gif . I say definitely go with the free one and if you really feel you need more go for it if you're able to afford it.

What type of phone do you have ? You might be able to save money by installing Pandora or another free streaming music service or loading your own music on to it. You can purchase MP3 players for pretty cheap these days. The Apple Shuffle is $49 and Nano is around $125. If you plan on being pretty active at the gym, I suggest getting earphones which are over the ear and meant for working out. It's a real pain in the ass running or walking on the treadmill or using other machines and having your headphones popping out all the time!

A decent pair of running (or walking) shoes shouldn't run you more than $80-$90! I personally love Brooks sneakers. You can get free shipping at Zappos. If you're able, go in to a local running store (like Runners Performance) so they can fit you properly and suggest the right sneaker for you.

It's no small expense but I guarantee you you'll save money (and your life!!!) in teh long term by being in better physical and emotional shape!!!! Good luck with your surgery and please keep us all updated here. We're rooting for you!

Alex,

Thanks for the encouragement and great advice. I since have purchased the ear piece for my HTC Andriod for awesome work out music. There is trainer (not free though) sessions that I found out about and it's something that I will need to start right away since I do not want any injuries....I'm working on the shoes right now via internet....

Jill

Smart move on starting off with a trainer! If you have little or no experience working out, it's a great idea. The internet is a great place to start researching shoes but I still say that there's nothing like actually walking in to a store with knowledgeable (and friendly!) staff that can assist you with selecting a running shoe for you. Don't walk into any sporting goods store. Try to go to one that's geared towards runners or just sneakers. I've read online that the New Balance 580-series is a great sneaker for people who need extra cushioning and support. Check em out ;-)

What i di was join a 24 hour gym. I talked to a personalntrainer got some tips and grabbed a buddy. I work late shift 4pm -12 am. So i go to gym after work and its just me and my girl friend. Not sure what hours you are able togo but it just an idea.

Get a ipod shuffle, they are cheep and light so when you start running it is not annoying.. Get your feet fitted at a Running room or shoe store that specializes in good shoes.

Find some stuff you enjoy and keep pushing harder!!!

Good Morning to all!

I'm just learning how to maneuever through this website and am really glad that I found this group. I'm an ex "gym rat" (at least I was 25 years ago) who is trying really hard to get back into the groove of being strong and fit. I remember how confident I felt and how missing a workout was never an option. That is until I missed one, then missed more then stopped going all together.

Anyway, regarding gym shoes, I joined a gym 2 week after my lap band surgery and hired a personal trainer at that gym. I initially planned on buying a new pair of gym shoes right away but after my first workout with the trainer, she decided that my balance and gait were issues that needed to be worked on in conjunction with my fitness. Our gym floor surface is cork from end to end so I work out just in socks. I will eventually buy new gym shoes this spring when I begin venturing out to the track to walk, but for now, I like the feel of my feet on the floor and seeing how I no longer topple over during our balance excercises. My trainer also gave me info on a few stores that sells the non-mainstream gym shoes that are supposed to provide more support and cushioning.

I was initially really nervous about going into the gym at my level of fitness and my weight but I'm fortunate that I found a small gym where people are very serious about improving their fitness. There are a few athletes trying to up their game and a few post heart attack patients and a few people trying to lose weight). I'm slowly feeling the "gym high" coming back and I'm really excited. My only concern is that the cost of 3 weekly sessions is so incredibly expensive.

Best wishes!

Good Morning to all!

I'm just learning how to maneuever through this website and am really glad that I found this group. I'm an ex "gym rat" (at least I was 25 years ago) who is trying really hard to get back into the groove of being strong and fit. I remember how confident I felt and how missing a workout was never an option. That is until I missed one, then missed more then stopped going all together.

Anyway, regarding gym shoes, I joined a gym 2 week after my lap band surgery and hired a personal trainer at that gym. I initially planned on buying a new pair of gym shoes right away but after my first workout with the trainer, she decided that my balance and gait were issues that needed to be worked on in conjunction with my fitness. Our gym floor surface is cork from end to end so I work out just in socks. I will eventually buy new gym shoes this spring when I begin venturing out to the track to walk, but for now, I like the feel of my feet on the floor and seeing how I no longer topple over during our balance excercises. My trainer also gave me info on a few stores that sells the non-mainstream gym shoes that are supposed to provide more support and cushioning.

I was initially really nervous about going into the gym at my level of fitness and my weight but I'm fortunate that I found a small gym where people are very serious about improving their fitness. There are a few athletes trying to up their game and a few post heart attack patients and a few people trying to lose weight). I'm slowly feeling the "gym high" coming back and I'm really excited. My only concern is that the cost of 3 weekly sessions is so incredibly expensive.

Best wishes!

Sessions with a trainer can be very expensive. I have thought about it early on, then declined. I suppose you don't have to stay with one for ever. Just get the routines down then go it alone.

You can always sign back up a year from then for more training.

I was a little apprehensive when I first started going on a regular basis. But what you say is accurate...the more you do, the better you get at it, which only motivates you to do more. I have been going regulary for a few years now, and it is very addicitng. I don't feel bad when I do go, I feel very bad, as if there's something missing, if I don't go.

I now understand how people, no matter where they are...vacation, hotels on business, etc, have to get out there every day and run. I used to think they were nuts! Now I am one.

There are a lot of obese people who come to my gym. I can see their nervousness. I always make a point to make eye contact, nod my head and say hello. I have been tempted to "Witness" to some, LOL, and say "Hey! Let me share my story with you, I used to be fat....and you can be skinny too" but that's a little forward....

Years ago when I was fit, I was in a laundromat with my son and an extremely obese woman fell and was unable to get up. While we waited for the PD to send help, I thought about going over to her on the floor and trying to offer some comfort but I did not. I'm not fully sure why I didn't but a part of it was that I was embarrassed for her.

B-52, if you have an opportunity to offer kindness and encouragement to someone who is going through what you have been through, perhaps you should consider being "a little forward". Just choose your words carefully-it may make a huge difference to someone at your gym.

I hope that one day I will be fit again and will have the privilege of offering encouragement to someone.

By the way- you look great!

I just joined a different kind of gym...not with the typical machines (I have some of those at home). This is a pilates, kick boxing and zumba studio! I was banded on February 22, 2011. I have lost 90 pounds so far with about 40 to go!!! I just started working out about 2 months ago and I feel fantastic...almost like a new person!!! I only wish I wouldn't have let my old size prevent me from joining earlier. This studio is a bit more money but I get small classes and can go to as many classes as I want...I am now addicted spending most of my free time there!!! Bestnof luck to you....getting the lap band has changed my life forever!!!

I just joined a gym this week :) I also will have a personal trainer 4 times a month for the next year. I'm scared :unsure: and excited at the same time lol. I already had one session and yikes I was in pain, but I think it will be worth it.

I was banded on Jan 24, 2012 and my weight loss has been so slow I'm hoping this will give me a push to loosing just a little faster. I would like to lose 5lb a month. I don't think that is too much to ask for vs. my current 3lbs a month.

It took me awhile to join the gym because I just don't like the idea of working out in front of people, because I feel very insecure about myself. I'm so out of shape and embarrassed of how out of shape I am, but I just have to get over it if I want to be healthy :mellow: