Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Finished Initial Lap Band Assessment; Still Have Questions

Today I had my assessment and talked to the dietician, therapist, and nurse, along with watching a 40 minute video. One of the things the dietician explained was the portion size. She said after surgery I should only eat 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup three times a day. She also said to included a Protein Drink during the day. I am having a hard time imagining that and understanding how that is enough food for a person. I understand that the pouch will only hold so much, but somehow I mistakenly thought that you would eat these small meals 5-6 times a day. Wrong! Is this the standard amount that every lap-banded person must eat? Is this just within the first few weeks/months or this what I can expect from now on? Pretty sure I know the answer to that question, but just wanted to run it by other people. Heck, I can eat 1/4 cup in 3 bites!!! The calories must be really really low!!! Any thoughts?

My surgeon told me half a cup three meals a day. However, even with good restriction, I find I need a very small snack twice a day. My calorie goal is 1300 which is perfectly achievable. I exercise daily and have lost 108lb.

good luck.

Heck, I can eat 1/4 cup in 3 bites!!!

One of the bandster skills that I am trying to master is to take tiny bites. My dietician recommends bites approximately the size of a pencil eraser.

Thanks. I've spent some more time going thru the paperwork and instruction booklet they gave me, and it looks like a lot of things are going to change, especially what and how much I eat. I showed my husband the guidelines and he said we'd figure it out, but also wondering how this will effect him. It's just the two of us, so we'll be eating very differently. He does not have a weight problem, so it shouldn't change what he eats. Wonder how those who have already been banded deal with this?

I know everyone is different but, to the ones that have their bands where they need to be, on average they can only eat about 1/2 to 1 cup per meal. Somewhere in the midst of your meals you need to work in 60 grams of Protein per day. There are ways to get your protein in by using milk instead of Water in your hot Breakfast cereals, 1/3 cup of dry milk added to your Meal Replacement, this is if you can tolerate milk. I use skim milk which has 8 grams of protein per cup and most of the others except soy milk usually only have one gram of protein per serving.

I know you are wondering why I don't seem to be answering your question but the fullness comes from eating a lot of protein, it keeps you full and helps you burn excess calories. If you eat a good amount of protein for your meal then it'll take a while before you get hungry again

It depends on the food. I eat about 2 oz of Protein, 1/4 cup of veggie, and maybe 1/4 of starch if there is room. I sometimes need a snack in between meals, but I think hard about my hunger level. If not, I tend to eat brainlessly, which recently led to a 5 lb. gain. Which I have re-lost.

The amount can also depend on the day. Some days I can eat more than others. I don't weigh and measure my food. I eat to my appetite. My hubby does not have a weight problem either. Other than the few foods that my band won't tolerate (chicken breast meat, doughy breads) we still eat the same foods we used to eat. I just eat smaller quantities. For me, it was portions and grazing that caused my obesity, not so much food choices.

Hope this helps.

I have not been banded yet, but I can offer some advice on the skinny hubby aspect...LOL. My hubby is perfectly normal weight, eats what he wants, manual labor all day and doesn't gain an ounce. Annoying, I agree.

The new outlook we have taken is, with the amount I will be able to eat, I will probably be able to prepare one serving of a certain food, and all I have to do is mooch a few bites off of him! I'm excited to eat less, and weigh less than him, for the first time in probably 6 years!

My nutritionist did tell me I would be eating roughly 3-6 meals, depending on size and hunger. She didn't really tell me, here is the number of meals I want you to eat, but rather, listen to my body, and learn to realize hunger and fullness. I think that is the secret. She told me hunger=that growling feeling in your stomach. Chances are, if your stomach isn't growling, you're not really hungry. And you're only supposed to eat enough to satisfy the hunger, ie, stop the growling. Of course, if we could all eat this way, we wouldn't be here, but the band is the tool that will allow us to think that way.

I am 1 week out of surgery today. I have been eating between 300-500 calories per day and honestly it's a struggle to get them all in. Don't get me wrong.. There are times when I'm starving and feel like I could sit down and eat 2 whoppers! But once I take 3 or 4 bites of my yogurt I'm full. It's such a weird sensation having overrate all my life.

From what I've been told by my nutritionist and what I've read on here.. Once we're fully healed we will be able to eat the normal range of calories. I wasn't told how many meals to eat.. Just to make sure I get in the recommended 60-80 grams of Protein a day and 48-64 oz of Fluid. Good luck!

My doctor has never said how much volume I should eat. He did however say I should be getting 3 oz of solid Protein at every meal in addition to non starchy vegetables and fruit. That would never fit in 1/4 of a cup and probably not 1/2.