Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Can't Keep Anything, Including Liquids, Down And The Area Around My Lap Band Port Hurts

I had my lap band surgery 1 year and 3 months ago and within the last couple of weeks I have experienced several problems. During a very stressful time I started throwing all foods and liquids up and could not keep anything down. I figured it was due to the stress and recent weather changes but now that the stress is gone I am still getting sick. It feels that everything stays in my throat and creates a lot of pressure causing me to get sick. I have also started to have severe pain around my port. At times it feels like it is being pulled and causes a sharp intense pain. I have made an appointment w/ my surgeon but have another week to wait and am very worried about what is going on. For the last 3 months I have been at the same weight all up until this all started and now I am losing 1-2 lbs a day. Any thoughts on what might be wrong will be appreciated.

If it were me, I would call and beg to get in sooner. They need to make time to see emergencies.

I agree with Humming Bird. Your doc's office should fit you in if you explain the problem the way you have

to us.

Sounds like you could have a slipped band - it would account for all of the issues you're having. Tell your surgeon it's an emergency and you can't keep anything down including liquids - they have a legal responsibility to see you immediately in that case.

yes the same thing happen to me.i couldnt keep anything down including my own saliva.i had to go to the ER.then my dr PA came and saw me and i had to have all the saline emptied out of my band.instantly i felt better.that was last wednesday.and i was also told i had a slight slippage.but i go see my dr tomorrow.happy and scared at the same time.but please take care of the problem if ur dr.cant get u in like asap,go to the ER..

Sounds like you could have a slipped band - it would account for all of the issues you're having. Tell your surgeon it's an emergency and you can't keep anything down including liquids - they have a legal responsibility to see you immediately in that case.

I agree, you need to see your surgeon ASAP! I, also, had this problem after a virus. I had a slip and needed surgery to repair it. Not all slips need surgery. Sometimes the surgeon just needs to remove your fill for your band to go back into shape. Good luck. Karen

If you can't eat or drink anything you should really go to the office ASAP or just go to the ER! If it's been a few days of not being able to eat I'd strongly encourage and ER visit because you may need more medical interventions than removing Fluid from the band. Good luck and feel better soon!

yes, i also agree, my office sayst hats if things can not go down its not good, i had a slip 3 months out. Def go to your Dr;s

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I did go to the ER yesterday but they could not treat lapband problems so I had to go to a different hospital today. They did the tests and I do have a slipped band. They did empty it and have to follow up w/ my surgeon next week. They did tell me that I might have to have surgery to correct it but I am hoping that it will fix itself.