Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused About Clothing Sizes

I'm going to pick out my wedding dress in a couple weeks and I couldn't be more confused about what size I am. I'm going to David's Bridal so I don't have to worry about all that bridal size nonsense, but I hardly know what size I am in regular clothes anymore. I just bought two new coats that are size large (12-14), I'm a 14w in pants which I think it actually a 16 in misses, no idea what I am in shirts because all of mine are too big and I haven't bought new ones yet...argh! Should I just go to a regular clothing store and start trying on clothes to see what size I am? I don't want to give the bridal consultant a blank stare when she asks me what size I need!

Honestly I found wedding dress sizing odd and they will measure you anyway. Every dress fits differently based on the cut plus figure in all the alterations just have them help you find the right size. Good luck - congrats on the wedding!

I agree with CindyBklyn regarding the wedding dress but I would still suggest going into a regular store to try on clothes it can be so motivating! Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

You'll be bummed when you you're measured at the bridal store and the size is about 4 sizes larger than you actually wear. I'm 5'5" and weigh 145 lbs now and I just picked up my size 16 wedding dress for my Dec 3rd wedding last week. It fits perfectly. After they measured me, they told me the bottom part measured at a size 4 and the top measured as a 16! I'm now wearing size 6-8 pants and an XL top and a size 16 dress??!! Yep. The girl who works there told me thats how bridal stores size. My fiance who wears a size 35 pants also got a size 38 and they fit perfectly in his suit. I thought I'd said goodbye to a 16 forever.

Oh well. Congrats to you! When is your wedding? This is my 2nd (my husband of 19 yrs died 4 yrs ago) so we're having a very small wedding at a park in Glendora, Ca. Going on a 7day Mexican cruise the next day. Can't wait. We leave for Ca next Tues (we live in OR). My fiance's family lives in Glendora so that's why we're going there. Anyway, have a great Thanksgiving too! And congrats again!

Marci

I would find out, just so I know. You an tell them in different cloths, it's different sizes, I'm sure they know this.

They will measure you, and custom fit you to your Gown if your having it made !

If it's of the Rack,, they will take a bigger one, and cut it down to fit you, then customize it.

Congrats on the Wedding.

Just go and try. Every designer is different and I am sure that is the same in bridal. Have fun trying dresses on!!

You must look at and try on wedding dresses without focusing on the size. Just as everyone else said, they have to order it for the largest part of your body and then fit it to you. You'll mostley be trying on sample sizes that will not fit you. But they will pin it and clip it and you'll be able to get an idea of how it will look in your size. Be willing to try on different styles, even though you may have an idea in your head of the perfect dress, something entirely different may be "the dress". And yes, you will know when it is "the dress". Do not settle for anything less.

Have fun. And wear nice underwear cause everyone will be seeing it.