Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Completely Unfilled :-(

I was filled on June 5th .8cc at that time I had no idea that .8cc would be way too much. I have had good days and bad days with food since then and lately the last week has been really tough. So I decided all of this food coming back up wasn't good and went to the Dr. yesterday. I was hoping for a small unfill knowing that at 6.0cc was too little and 6.8cc was too much.

So after explaining all of my symptoms and issues they took it ALL out! They then sent me for testing to see if it had slipped or if any other issues were present. Well luckily they called today and everything came back perfect, position, pouch etc....except it is slightly tilted. He said that was not a concern if I am feeling fine and doing ok with liquids. So far I feel fantastic EXCEPT now I am starving!!! A sensation I haven't had to feel in a long time :-( I am so lost cause I am thankful for no slipped band and no revision surgery is needed, but devastated I have to start all over again :-(

I can't have a fill until January 5th, the time when we need to feel restriction the most I feel nothing. Santa may I please have enough duct tape for my mouth to help keep me away from bad food decisions ;-) Before anyone busts my chops, you all are correct....I do know what I should and shouldn't eat, I also know that having that bit of information wasn't enough for me and the band is what I did need to hold me to it ;-)

Lesson learned from this is, if you feel anything out of the ordinary and it seems like food isn't staying down as easy as it was go straight to the Dr and don't wait.

Both times I went in for a small unfill. I hand my hand over my port and made them promise to only take out .02cc. My Doctors always do fills with fluro so they see what it is like before they take any out and one after they remove the small amount.

If they did not agree to only take out small amount before proving to me there was a problem I would have left. Sounds dumb to some people but I am self pay and $150.00 a pop I am keeping mine.

But what scares me is so many people say they never feel the same after be totally unfilled. But some do feel the same some better. The good thing about it is that you can request more than what you had when you first had the band as you are already use to it and know what to expect so I bet they give you more each time. Best wishes. Always better to be safe than to lose your band.

Cheri

Good luck, I had an unfill , due to a slip on Oct 14. I had a hard time, and had a fill of 3 1/2 cc before going on a cruise. Otherwise, he was going to wait until Nov. 23, that's right the day before Thanksgiving! So, I guess, consider yourself lucky, you can eat normally. Just stick to small plates, and salads, Protein, etc., like you are used to doing. You might gain, a little, but you will be okay. I am sure. Karen

I am a complete falilure. I am gaining weight and back in bandester hell. I still have 0 control over my eating habits just like before the surgery. It has been a year and six months and I don't go for my third fill (after being empty) till April 19th. I hate this and I hate how I feel. I don't know what to think, I just hope this is normal for now. I can't wait for restriction so I can feel normal again. :-(

I don't understand the rationale in your Dr taking everything out and refilling so slowly. If they have done tests and there is no slip or other issue then they should be able to refill far quicker than this. Have you asked why they are doing it this way? I would be demanding answers.

Hi Elcee,

They had to completely unfill due to all of the swelling. I allowed a month to go by barely eating anything as I thought it was me and the last week I could barely keep liquids down. So he stated due to the urgency of the situation we had to unfill completely to allow healing. He explained it as it was like I just had the surgery. He is also very reserved and the first fill I had 4cc put back in and the last one only 1 cc. He says it is fine and the weight gain is normal, however I am an all or nothing person. When I see one pound gained it is like 100 to me. I feel great physically, but mentally I am a mess.