Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A philosophical question.

Do you find people treat/observe you differently since you have lost weight?

I find I get more attention from sales clerks that I did 95 pounds ago. I am not a thin, svelte, Tom Selleck kind of a guy, I’m a 49 year old, 6’, 250 lb. slightly grey haired guy. My question is:

Is it because of the weight loss and I look thinner or do I project my self differently? I don’t feel like I act any different than I used to but the actions I see are markedly different.

Do you find people treat/observe you differently since you have lost weight?

I find I get more attention from sales clerks that I did 95 pounds ago. I am not a thin, svelte, Tom Selleck kind of a guy, I'm a 49 year old, 6', 250 lb. slightly grey haired guy. My question is:

Is it because of the weight loss and I look thinner or do I project my self differently? I don't feel like I act any different than I used to but the actions I see are markedly different.

I think you are right with both thoughts. I find people treat me much differently. I have been around people for years that wouldn't give me the time of day and now suddenly they talk to me. I do know I stand up straighter and smile more which helps with people who don't already know me... But again the people I have known for years ie. sports parents from my kids sports that are snotty and into how you look and what you have.

Good for you for doing such a great job on your weight loss.

I think is that we project ourselves different. I actually had the same conversation with my husband (we both had the lap band) I was at the gym yesterday and I had 2 people at the gym in my Zumba class approach me and started a conversation. I think it's just our attitude, and how good we feel about ourselves.

My husband thinks is that still now a day there is discrimination against obese people. And also how you project yourself to the outside world, and that is what people persive about you. ( by the way he congratulates you on your weight loss. He is 43yrs old 5'11 and he is 251 lbs. down from 342 with a total of 91 lbs. as of this morning and size 38 jeans from a size 54.

I agree. I think it's a combination of feeling more confident. But discrimination against obese people is very real. Congrats on the weight loss!

Discrimination against fat people is very real. Before I started working out (1 1/2 yrs preband) I probably weighted about 380 pounds. That is a guess though since I would never have weighted myself. After about 6 months of changing my food habits I went to the doctor to get pain killers for a knee problem and I weighted 366. Anyway, at that point men never opened the door for me; or really bothered to hold it open once they went through. While at 230 I am still clearly overweight; I would say I get the door opened for me 95% of the time.

There is definitely discrimination against fat people, whether they realize they are doing it or not. I work in a job of 99% percent males, and I see a huge contrast in how they treat the cute thin females and how they treat me. Mind you, I'm not treated badly and for the most part, I like the guys I work with fine, and there are some that still flirt with and tease me and its all fun, but there is def a difference for most of them. I've only lost 17lbs and people are starting to notice. I will be keeping in mind the people that wouldn't give me the time of day before losing the weight though, I don't need that kind of shallow in my life.

I have yo-yoed with my weight for many years, so I have been on both sides of the spectrum: there is no doubt in my mind that I was treated better when I was thinner. After losing 60 pounds I definitely notice a difference in the way people act toward me, even though I don't think I act any differently myself. Men will hold doors for me, occasionally let me go ahead of them on the checkout line, and I've even noticed some checking me out as I walk by. I'm still very overweight and have a long way to go, but the changes are very apparent. Even some of my fiance's male friends are friendlier to me now.

Personally, I judge people by their behavior, not their appearance.

I do think that I get treated differently. I get picked up on basically everywhere I go, and that didn't used to happen at all. I also get looked at differently everywhere I go. People used to get out of my way, and look in my grocery cart, and give me dirty looks. Kids used to laugh at me. Now I just get acknowledged like a 'normal' person. Part of it is that I'm 6 feet tall, which is unusual for a woman anyway, and when I was 350+ pounds, well, yeah... I guess I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Honestly, sizeism makes me sick. People have no idea what someone's story is, and I think it's incredibly rude and disgusting to judge someone by their appearence. I feel this way about folks who are discriminated against because they are too thin as well. The beautiful thing about this world is that we're all different. Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all the same size and the same weight and the same color, etc? I think so! I love the diversity in human beings; it's what makes us special.

One of my goals is to be a yoga teacher for people who are 'overweight', 'obese', or who are otherwise afraid to go to a 'regular' class because they are worried someone will judge them for their appearence or ability in some way, so that they can feel comfortable and can have the benefits of yoga.

I honestly don't think people realize what they are doing.