Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Gastric Bypass/Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hi!! Sorry I have been absent from the forums for a while, I am back, of corse with a question.

I am at the point in my journey where I need I need to make a final decision on which surgery I personally believe will be best from me. Over the past year I KNEW Lap Band was what would be best, but in the past few weeks I have been re-researching Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I am curious of how others came to the determination that Lap Band was for them? Was there a deciding factor (or two?) :)

thanks,

Sabrina

Hi!! Sorry I have been absent from the forums for a while, I am back, of corse with a question.

I am at the point in my journey where I need I need to make a final decision on which surgery I personally believe will be best from me. Over the past year I KNEW Lap Band was what would be best, but in the past few weeks I have been re-researching Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

I am curious of how others came to the determination that Lap Band was for them? Was there a deciding factor (or two?) :)

thanks,

Sabrina

Hi Sabrina

I was banded last March. I have regretted this choice after about 3mos. Reasons: I can feel everything in my torso, the port area is always tender. I have a tough time swallowing, and honestly never feel full. The big picture is this for me, since I had made up my mind this was a life time committment, how stupid do I feel getting something that was reversable. I am going to talk to my surgeon today about my thoughts. I hope I can correct my choice sooner than later. I don't want to waste time, the longer I wait the more scar tissue I will have. Go for it- the real deal! Sleeve or RNY

The reason I made my choice was because I wanted the least invasive procedure as possible. I am happy with my decision. The band is reversible and the sleeve isn't. If you are not careful the sleeve can expand and you will be back at square one. At least with the band I know I can add restriction if needed.. I have known plenty of people who had the sleeve procedure and they have been really ill the first few months. In fact I know one who had to go back and get the roux-n-y done. I also was looking for a slower weight loss. They have to chew their food even more than band patients. I was looking for a slower weight loss. You can also return to work sooner as long as you have one of those jobs that doesn't require you to be really active. I'm not trying to scare you at all, in the end it is your choice. These are the reasons why I picked the band.

I was banded in early Oct. of this year. Since then, I have lost over 50 lbs., quit all diabetic meds.,

gotten rid of all the little unpleasant consequences of diabetes, A1C was 6.1 from 8.7. All my old

small clothes fit again. The secret to successful band surgery is to find a physician skilled in WLS, and a hospital that is a Center of Excellence. It's not the only way to fly, but is an almost certain method

to assure yourself of a life free of complications with the band.

I chose the band because it wasnt going to be a surgery where my body parts were removed or rearranged. and if anything happened it was reversible and then if i couldnt keep my band i could then have a different procedure if needed. i have been at my clinic support groups and heard horror stories about leaks and infections after those other surgeries. ultimately it is up to u though, it is your body and it will also be up to you to decide how much maintenance u are willing to do. the b and has more maintenance probably but that to me is a good thing, it keeps me in check and i think i am more intune with my body because i have to figure out when and if i need adjustments. good luck! dont make a hasty decision if u already had your mind set on the band.

Hi,

I am also making the decision between LB or VSG and doing a lot of research. After being in the LB chat room for 3 weeks now, I have noticed that there are a lot of dr. visits to fill or unfill because of discomfort, or not losing, food getting stuck, emergency surgery because the band slipped etc. I became frustrated that there was never anyone in the VSG room to talk to about the sleeve. I had an epiphany one morning that is because no one has anything to complain about after they have healed from the surgery. That spoke volumes to me. Yes, it is more invasive, recovery is longer and leaks are rare but you do not have a foreign object in your body that you have to continually adjust. Yes, the LB is reversible but if you are not committed, why do either surgery? Are you really going to have the band removed? I have noticed that after you heal with VSG you are more normal and can eat whatever you want with no food restrictions to speak of with the band you can not have many of the foods you love EVER. I like the fact that your pouch is larger than with the band. You can actually go to a restaurant and eat a kids meal where with the band, one or two bites is all you can tolerate. Having a pouch the size of a golf ball (LB) as compared to a banana (VSG) and the hole to your stomach is normal size instead of restricted by a band so food can't go through easily, I have elected to be more "normal" and just have my stomach reduced to the size it should have been before I got fat and made it the size of a football. The part of your stomach that stretches is removed so you will not stretch back out and the part of your stomach that senses hunger is removed so you don't get hungry. I would rather go to the doctor every 3 months for a check up with VSG than every month with the band (if not more than that for problems.) Did I mention every fill with the LB is $150? Also, most people that have the band removed due to slipping end up with the VSG anyway. I also do not want to be stuck drinking Protein Powder the rest of my life 3 times a day just to get my Protein requirements in because I can not consume enough food orally. This is why I am choosing VSG over LB. Its a personal decision, do your homework and research. Talk to Bandsters and VSG patients before you make your final decision. Good Luck :)

FYI I don't have to go to the dr every month for an adjustment and the stomach can stretch back out if you are not careful. That info came directly from a bariatric surgeon!!! And you only have to go for adjustments till you are in the green zone.

Hi,

I am also making the decision between LB or VSG and doing a lot of research. After being in the LB chat room for 3 weeks now, I have noticed that there are a lot of dr. visits to fill or unfill because of discomfort, or not losing, food getting stuck, emergency surgery because the band slipped etc. I became frustrated that there was never anyone in the VSG room to talk to about the sleeve. I had an epiphany one morning that is because no one has anything to complain about after they have healed from the surgery. That spoke volumes to me. Yes, it is more invasive, recovery is longer and leaks are rare but you do not have a foreign object in your body that you have to continually adjust. Yes, the LB is reversible but if you are not committed, why do either surgery? Are you really going to have the band removed? I have noticed that after you heal with VSG you are more normal and can eat whatever you want with no food restrictions to speak of with the band you can not have many of the foods you love EVER. I like the fact that your pouch is larger than with the band. You can actually go to a restaurant and eat a kids meal where with the band, one or two bites is all you can tolerate. Having a pouch the size of a golf ball (LB) as compared to a banana (VSG) and the hole to your stomach is normal size instead of restricted by a band so food can't go through easily, I have elected to be more "normal" and just have my stomach reduced to the size it should have been before I got fat and made it the size of a football. The part of your stomach that stretches is removed so you will not stretch back out and the part of your stomach that senses hunger is removed so you don't get hungry. I would rather go to the doctor every 3 months for a check up with VSG than every month with the band (if not more than that for problems.) Did I mention every fill with the LB is $150? This is why I am choosing VSG over LB. Its a personal decision, do your homework and research. Talk to Bandsters and VSG patients before you make your final decision. Good Luck :)

Hi,

I am also making the decision between LB or VSG and doing a lot of research. After being in the LB chat room for 3 weeks now, I have noticed that there are a lot of dr. visits to fill or unfill because of discomfort, or not losing, food getting stuck, emergency surgery because the band slipped etc. I became frustrated that there was never anyone in the VSG room to talk to about the sleeve. I had an epiphany one morning that is because no one has anything to complain about after they have healed from the surgery. That spoke volumes to me. Yes, it is more invasive, recovery is longer and leaks are rare but you do not have a foreign object in your body that you have to continually adjust. Yes, the LB is reversible but if you are not committed, why do either surgery? Are you really going to have the band removed? I have noticed that after you heal with VSG you are more normal and can eat whatever you want with no food restrictions to speak of with the band you can not have many of the foods you love EVER. I like the fact that your pouch is larger than with the band. You can actually go to a restaurant and eat a kids meal where with the band, one or two bites is all you can tolerate. Having a pouch the size of a golf ball (LB) as compared to a banana (VSG) and the hole to your stomach is normal size instead of restricted by a band so food can't go through easily, I have elected to be more "normal" and just have my stomach reduced to the size it should have been before I got fat and made it the size of a football. The part of your stomach that stretches is removed so you will not stretch back out and the part of your stomach that senses hunger is removed so you don't get hungry. I would rather go to the doctor every 3 months for a check up with VSG than every month with the band (if not more than that for problems.) Did I mention every fill with the LB is $150? Also, most people that have the band removed due to slipping end up with the VSG anyway. I also do not want to be stuck drinking Protein powder the rest of my life 3 times a day just to get my protein requirements in because I can not consume enough food orally. This is why I am choosing VSG over LB. Its a personal decision, do your homework and research. Talk to Bandsters and VSG patients before you make your final decision. Good Luck :)

i dont go to the dr every month for an adjustment either. i am in the green zone and have been since april and also since april 20 lbs BELOW my drs goal for me. i am not sure where u got your information but the poch in a sleeve CAN stretch, the band can be adjusted. the gherlin hormone that is a normal body functioning hormone that u need for balance is removed with the sleeve BUT your body eventually figures out how to replace it and then it comes back stronger than before. there is only a window of opportunity called the honeymoon period with the sleeve and rny of about 18 months, there is NO honeymoon period with the band because it is adjustable. this is straight out of a bariatric doctor's mouth at my clinic support groups. and i dont want to seem nasty but i am only out a year and half with my band and i have been below goal since 11 mon.ths, and the wo men with the sleeve and rny in my group out years are still NOT at goal.

oh and for the record i can eat a kids meal not just 2 bites. and i can eat anything =i want BUT i CHOOSE not to. until u have the band u really cant say what really happens.

and i am "normal"! people have foreign objects placed everyday in hip replacements shunts, etc, it is not normal to not have your stomach or to have your intestines rerouted. i have a friend that had the sleeve and she has gag reflex issues because of the surgery, i eat way more normal than she does and i will stress again i am in maintenance and she is still not at goal and we had surgery a month apart.

Thank you all for your input :) I see people are passionate one way or the other. I love that! One think I am sure of is that BOTH surgeries work and have pros and cons. I suppose we never know what is right, we must make an educated decision and pray for the best. thanks again! sabrina.

oh and for the record i can eat a kids meal not just 2 bites. and i can eat anything =i want BUT i CHOOSE not to. until u have the band u really cant say what really happens.

To mom2hunterandhailey user_popup.png

I didn't mean to upset you. This is only MY OPINION from the research I have done so far. I do have the right to voice my personal opinion. Everyone must do what is right for them and I stated for everyone to do their own homework and to talk to both bandsters and sleeves before making a final decision.