Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting is the worst...

It has only been 5 days and waiting for my surgery is killing me! I just wish I could have the surgery this month or next! Waiting to February is going to suck. I was okay with waiting when I wasn't sure if I could even have the surgery, but insurance is a go, my health is a go....WHY WAIT!!! :) I kinda want to call and see if it can be done sooner! ;)

What are all of you doing to make the waiting bearable?

It has only been 5 days and waiting for my surgery is killing me! I just wish I could have the surgery this month or next! Waiting to February is going to suck. I was okay with waiting when I wasn't sure if I could even have the surgery, but insurance is a go, my health is a go....WHY WAIT!!! :) I kinda want to call and see if it can be done sooner! ;)

If everything is a go, why are you waiting??

I don't know. I have to do a 4 week Behavioral class, plus I am a teacher and I am trying to plan the surgery around vacations. I would love xmas vacation, but prob won't happen!

If everything is a go, why are you waiting??

I feel the same way! My surgery is set for December 14th and it feels like it will never get here. I've just been trying to keep busy to pass the time so I won't think about it, easier said than done lol.

Due to other health issues I had to postpone my surgery by 5 months. I was crushed. That time however was really important for me to no only learn but live new behaviors. The band is about 80% mental. The band won't be a miracle when you get it. Took me 6 months after banding to get restriction. This is the time for you to learn why you over eat. If possible go to a therapist that specializes in food addiction.

I know it might seem easy for me to say this from where I am sitting (maintenance) but here goes: This whole thing is a lifestyle FOREVER! Its not a diet or a crazy comittment to go to the gym every day - which I doubt many of us can keep up for a lifetime! It is a change for the whole entire rest of your life so as much as you can try not to focus on scratching the days on the wall of the cave! Start making tiny changes that you think you can live with forever.

What am I doing during the wait...trying to eat like I already have the band. Protein Shakes, greek yogurt, string cheese...working on the mind...the body is ready but my mind is still acting like a fatty!! Relax...time will fly by!! The fatty has on two occassion this week ordered way too much food!

Congrats on the approval, my insurance will be sent on 11/18, im nervous as all hell abt the decision. I hv Aetna, who do u have?

I have BCBS. Mine hasn't offically been approved. BCBS gave me a pre-approval. They just need the form from the surgeon who I don't see until the 12/1. I would be on cloud 9 if he could do it after xmas! However, I am taking this time to get myself ready to eating and exercising how I need to after surgery. I am changing a meal a week. I did awesome with Breakfast last week. Now I am going to move onto lunch, so hopefully when surgery comes, I am already used to the food changes.

Congrats on the approval, my insurance will be sent on 11/18, im nervous as all hell abt the decision. I hv Aetna, who do u have?

Amanda610, not to hijack the thread but many doctors require a certain amount of weight loss presurgery. So having surgery a month after consult is probably unlikely. My doctor required 10% weight loss (33 lbs); which I accomplished in about 2 1/2 months.

I need to loose 10-15lbs. Already lost 7lbs.

Amanda610, not to hijack the thread but many doctors require a certain amount of weight loss presurgery. So having surgery a month after consult is probably unlikely. My doctor required 10% weight loss (33 lbs); which I accomplished in about 2 1/2 months.

My surgery is tomorrow and it has been about a 7 month process. It isnt as easy as requesting the surgery and then getting it.

This is indeed a life long commitment and if you arent emotionally prepared for it, you arent going to be successful . This is why most insurances require a dedicated period of dieting, a behavioral exam and nutrition classes. I felt I was prepared to have my surgery the day I decided to go for it, but I will tell you that this educational process has been more preparation than I realized! I feel stong and determined to be successful because I have a new relationship with food that doesnt leave me feeling deprived. Embrace the process for what it is and dont see it as a torture device designed by your insurance company. Learn from it and go into your surgery with a kick ass attitude to WIN!

Well I am not delusional. I understand that there is a process meant to prepare me and it is a lifelong commitment. I don't have insurance guidelines to follow, and I could have it in December I just choose to wait for a longer vacation in February. My waiting impatience is more of excitement of the future.